All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What type of foil is best to lean on
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:07 pm 
Rare Poster

Learning on a low aspect large foil may not be such a great thing !! :(
Took out a medium to high aspect foil (Lift prototype) with a larger board , just to try it .
This is actually much easier to learn on, as you start riding the board as you would your surf board
Then as you get a little speed the foil generates some lift ,lean back a bit & you rise on the foil & when you loss that lift , you are back on the board ..again & continue riding a directional.
Once you learn to ride this , you can then go to a large foil to do freestyle .
The small foil has a tendency to slow the kangaroo-ing that every one suffers from .
Also with less lift & a larger Board Jives are much easier, as you can do it ,with the board on the water & then build your speed up again to foil toe side .
Tried this lift & was impressed in how much easier it is than my current foils on the negative side High aspect foils are much more difficult to ride in waves & make slow turns on ,
So you have a trade off .
Can happily Jive my Lift & Medium aspect Zeeko but when I put my High aspect Zeeko foil on , have a hell of a time jiving .
So far there are pros & cons to doth ways . :argue:
The only real problem I run into is swapping foils board & aspect ratio's means some days ,it can take 3 minutes to get used to the different combinations.
PS I do all of this in 18 to 30Mph winds with swells , seldom do I get out in 10 to 14 MPH which is Much easier for all combination
Love my foiling but for me a hell of a long learning curve . :thumb:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: What type of foil is best to lean on
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I thought the MHL Lift was one of the lowest aspect ratio foils. Which foils have a lower aspect ratio than the Lift?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

It is not only Aspect ratio, the total balance of the board is also important. Carafino is much easier to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 am 
Rare Poster

Hawaiis wrote:
It is not only Aspect ratio, the total balance of the board is also important. Carafino is much easier to learn.

I second that having Carafino is great for beginning, next one is Moses HF :thumb:

Tomi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 am 
Rare Poster

Lodwik,

Good to see you on here. I met you at Sherman last summer. I'm surprised you are so modest about your learning curve. You were one of the early guys with a foil. When the season picks up again in California we are going to see ten times as many foilers out there.

I see you picked up an MHL Lift, and it's a higher aspect? I have the regular Lift and I am hopeful the higher aspect foil from MHL will be able to attach to the pre-existing fuselage.

But the reason I am posting on here, since we are talking about MHL's, is my board. I am not a carbon fiber guru, so I thought I would put the question up here:

Putting my board away, I had the board laying deck side down so that the threaded inserts are facing up. They all had water in them. I noticed air bubbles coming out of a couple of the holes.

I realize that the board may gain internal pressure, especially if its been in the sun a bit. Should I be concerned that there is a "leak" around these inserts? Moreso the fact that if air can get out, water can get in. I know the board also came with holes in the deck for mounting footstraps with regular tap screws. This leads me to think that maybe its not a big deal, or maybe these tap screw holes go into a sealed part of the board?

Just thinking that a surfboard, with traditional fiberglass or epoxy, if you had holes and water getting through the glass into your foam, eventually it helps compromise the board. Honestly I don't know if MHL's have a foam core or what. I have seen fancy hollow carbon fiber surfboards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Air bubbles on the MHL will grow bigger.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.66 MIB | Viewed 662 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:56 am 
Frequent Poster

Randahl go get yourself a vented leash plug. and install it... ALL boards should have a vented plug in them.
easiest way to think about a board is grab a zip lock bag and zip it shut . toss it on the ground in the sun for the day and see what happens. first it will expand and next there will be condensation in it... A board will do the same thing if it can not breath.

I have fixed a few SUP with out a vented leash plug in them and the bottom of the board had a great big bubble in it. Some of the first SUP had a screw breath in it and a lot of people didn't know what it was for and didn't un screw it while on the beach. My wooden SUP that I made will whistle when I take the screw out from just 30min paddle.

if you can not find a vented plug let me know I'll put you in the right direction
If you ride strapless fill all the inserts with epoxy so you know water isn't getting in there anymore

just my 2 cents as a board builder
Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

Randahl wrote:
Lodwik,

Good to see you on here. I met you at Sherman last summer. I'm surprised you are so modest about your learning curve. You were one of the early guys with a foil. When the season picks up again in California we are going to see ten times as many foilers out there.

I see you picked up an MHL Lift, and it's a higher aspect? I have the regular Lift and I am hopeful the higher aspect foil from MHL will be able to attach to the pre-existing fuselage.

But the reason I am posting on here, since we are talking about MHL's, is my board. I am not a carbon fiber guru, so I thought I would put the question up here:

Putting my board away, I had the board laying deck side down so that the threaded inserts are facing up. They all had water in them. I noticed air bubbles coming out of a couple of the holes.

I realize that the board may gain internal pressure, especially if its been in the sun a bit. Should I be concerned that there is a "leak" around these inserts? Moreso the fact that if air can get out, water can get in. I know the board also came with holes in the deck for mounting footstraps with regular tap screws. This leads me to think that maybe its not a big deal, or maybe these tap screw holes go into a sealed part of the board?

Just thinking that a surfboard, with traditional fiberglass or epoxy, if you had holes and water getting through the glass into your foam, eventually it helps compromise the board. Honestly I don't know if MHL's have a foam core or what. I have seen fancy hollow carbon fiber surfboards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 am 
Frequent Poster

http://www.newind.net/images/stories/im ... 113426.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

You should never lean on a hydrofoil. They are meant to be ridden not to prop you up.... :rollgrin:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 am 
Rare Poster

@windfreak74: that is a pretty interesting design. I assume a lot more surface area compared to normal foils. Also does not look like it is totaly flat. How does it "fly"?

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next