All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Epic Surf Kite 8 meter - Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 pm 
Rare Poster

Epic Surf Kite review: Got my Epic Surf kites last week and even though it was 39 air and 39 water temp, I had to check them out. Besides the new kite smell, the bags are top notch and I like the wet/dry bag and all the other goodies that come with the kite. The wind that day was 18-23 out of the North with chest high waves, perfect day to try the 8 meter. First of all, I really like the construction, not only did it feel tough, there was a lot of attention spent on detail. I like the choice of inflation valves and used the large one to pump it up. It was late in the day so I needed to keep moving, I heard some people were concerned with the v shape and leaving the kite on the beach, I had to laugh a little as it was no problem at all to put some sand on it. I used a stock bar and after hooking up and checking everything, put the kite into the air. Lucky me, no adjustment - lets go kite. In the chest high surf the kite lived up to my expectations, it drifted very well and while I was riding the wave didn't have to look or be concerned that the kite was doing something different. I was also impressed with how quickly I felt dialed in with this kite. I was the first one in the water and it was very easy to stay up wind while my buddies were rigging there kites. I felt totally comfortable on the 8 meter and if it would have had more time and warmer, would like to have tried the 5 meter. The Surf 8 pivoted on the down loops making for some really smooth turns. Overall, I am totally happy with my new Surf Kites and cannot wait to try them again. Now that I have the Surf 5, 8 and 12, I will not be needing my Renegade 9. Anyone interested in a perfect condition (only used twice) Renegade 9 please e-mail me - schneck21@msn.com. I am 52 years old, have been kiting for 10 years, strapless for 4 years and wanted a kite for the waves mostly and I've been lucky enough to finally have found the Kite. I'm also lucky enough to live in the Outer Banks and kite all year round. I hope this quick review helps anyone out who love the ocean as much as I do.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Epic Surf Kite 8 meter - Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice honest straight forward review clam, well done mate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

We had a demo/event here on the weekend.
BIG winds and big surf....the kite that got the most attention and also was getting rave reviews was the SURF. One very experienced guy who uses the Religion was so impressed with it, he doesn't use the forums but I will try to get some feedback from him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ok, so here is my review of the 8 Metre surf kite.

This weekend was massive in the UK and I attended the Frozen Jam in Porthcawl hosted by Blast Kiteboarding. Firstly the weather was awesome but not ideal for testing. The winds were at times upwards of 30 knots and the waves were furious. I would say most 8 to 10 feet. Most people were out on 5metre kites, but I took out my 7 and in such good (as in Fun) conditions I spent a long time on my own kite. So when I came in I was tired and my legs were burning. I was hoping to go out on the 5.5M but that was out in the water all day and so after a brief rest I could not resist trying the 8 (plus I'd promised West Ozzie a review)

Thankfully as I picked up the 8 the wind had died to around 20+ knots. First thing I noticed was the thickness of the bar. I liked it nice and solid, thin bars hurt my hands after a while. The next thing you notice is the consistency and stability of the kite. It was gusty and like my kite this kite had no bother soaking up the gusts. In the water the next thing to notice is the power delivery. This kite is solid and very smooth in its delivery of that power. One thing to take note of, this kite has a shit load of grunt! It really did feel like a much bigger kite, I was overpowered for sure but still felt comfortable. Now for my first gripe. I could not reach the Depower strap and I've got long arms. I've heard that you can get extenders, so I would suggest that they came with the bar.
So the Bar then. I've heard people give the bar a lot of stick and I cannot for the life of me understand why? Everything about it felt solid and I really liked the moveable stopper, something I wish my bar and lines had. The release worked well and was ergonomic. All in all, well thought out and well put together.

The Kite, I did not really get time to give the kite a good look over, but from what I did see it was of good solid construction, it looked great in the air and I loved the colours. One thing that did surprise me about this kite was its ability to Jump well. When sending the kite I could feel the kite powering up and really wanting to pull me off the water. The Jumps were lovely and floaty and like the rest of the feel of this kite it pulled you up nicely and consistency like being in an elevator rather than being ripped of the water. Re-directing was easy. I felt very comfortable on this kite even in big wind and big waves after a long and tiring session. Bar pressure was perfect. All in all this was a great kite.

So the real test is would I buy this kite? The simple answer is Yes, Yes I would.

I hope this helps, It’s the first time I’ve ever flown an Epic kite and it’s the only type I’ve tried. So the next chance I get I’m going to try the rest 

Kind regards
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey Paul great review on the surf kite. Gave a good picture to how this kite handles and some proper constructive criticism.

James

[ 5 posts ]