All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Riding Unhooked - Tutorials / Resources
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Osprey1 wrote:
Remember that unhooked is the original way to kite :) It's really not hard to unhook, just be sure your leash is attached so it doesn't pull your safety and that when you try your first tricks you do them in only lightly to moderately powered conditions. Also be sure that you have enough depower pulled so your kite isn't oversheeted.

Unhooking isn't all about freestyle, as learning to ride waves unhooked at times can be immensely satisfying.

my brother who is a lot better unhooked than me always attaches to the flag out line. He rides torches and is really good at relaunching them. He says he would rather just drop straight down when he drops the bar than get worked by a kite on the suicide attachment. I usually ride 4 line fuels and if you know anything about flagging to a single line on a 4 line C kite, well one word describes it, spaghetti so I rig suicide.

Crashes are a lot less wicked when you leash to the regular safety so leash however you like. Also when you leash to the regular flag out line you are not as likely to explode your kite like a suicide leashed kite can sometimes do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kelamist wrote:
Always feel overpowered / uncomfortable as soon as i unhook, even with kite depowered. I know it will get better with practice but feel like there may be some tips / tutorials which would help.

Cheers,

for the sound of it think you are edging too much

let that edge go a bit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 pm 
Rare Poster

Ben Wilson makes it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gf4odLhzLA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 am 
Rare Poster

awesome advice everyone, thank you.

had an epic 2.5hr session this morning and made a point to practice unhooking over and over for about 30min of the sesh.

Rode towards kite not edging, unhooked, edged again, tried to load and pop, ride back towards kite and hook in again! had a lot of crashes but towards the end i managed one decent little air unhooked! landed hooked back in and rode away, stoked!

no raley yet but definitely feeling better about the whole thing, and confident i will get it soon. :thumb:

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:36 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yeah just unhook and pop to get used to the feeling. once you figure it out, if you can raley hooked in you can pretty much do one unhooked. unhooked back rolls are really easy as well and you dont need as much pop, if you dont want to go out as powered

what kites do you have? makes a huge difference for ease of unhooking

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2