All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Coming back from an injury
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:41 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm wondering what sort of advice guys who have came back from more serious injuries have to say about the process of getting back on the water.

I broke my ankle pretty badly in December. Now roughly 11 weeks, one broke fibula, 9 screws and a plate later, I can finally walk without a walking boot. I have good health insurance, so I'm not skimping on physical therapy and doctors visits.

I just wonder what it's been like for guys who've been through things like this in past.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Coming back from an injury
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You should consult with a rehab pro that can evaluate situation based on your injury and your general fitness, age and other factors.

If you are 20 yrs or 50 yrs makes a big diff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 am 
Medium Poster

It's 100% mental.

KNOW you will come back and kite injury free for the rest of your life and you will.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:19 am 
Rare Poster

start off strapless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yeah, maybe start of strapless and also do some prehab fitness. Check out www.KiteboardingExercises.com for some inspiration

Last edited by Larse on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm 
Medium Poster

I've had a couple of bad prolapsed discs and I tore several of the ligaments in my ankle at the beginning of last year. My made take away from all of this is that you can get back if you training hard but realistically it takes longer than anyone will tell you.

After my ankle I was told 8 weeks you'll be fine - and I was, I could walk with out any pain etc but no way could I kitesurf properly or push myself in anyway, that took another 6-8 weeks. I know some of the pro's who have tore ACL's, and its a long journey back but if you stay focused and training your arse off you will recover.

Just get down the gym, with a good program from a physio and go as much as they allow you :-)

Last edited by robclaisse on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

Coming back from a torn ACL and reconstructive surgery, first and foremost don't rush it. Get better, heal, get strong. Just because you can walk the walk doesn't mean that your body has fully healed yet.

From my injury, although the surgery corrected the problem, it is up to me now to heal and get strong. I have to excercise my leg muscles from now on to help support the injury. I also protect myself, as best as can be protected, with a proper knee brace.

It is not mental, it is a real injury. The mental part is enduring the rehab and getting and staying strong. Your PT and your Dr are your best resource. Listen to them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There is more to kiting than just kitesurfing!....

Here's an option that doesn't require much weight on your feet.

Attachment:
buggy driften.jpg
buggy driften.jpg [ 94.02 KIB | Viewed 317 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If i was you i'd look for a flat water spot and start some cruising. I'm pretty sure if you can walk yourl be able to cruise on flat water. Chop and waves is another story.

I recon strapless is a good idea. Theres limited chance of twisting your ankle.

Your body will let you know whats too much.

Also keep in mind doctors, physio's recommendations are usually based on the fatest laziest persons ability to recover. A strong, active, fit person can get back on the horse a lot sooner than standard recommendations from doctors.

Is there such a thing as an ankle brace? like the knee brace? if so that would be a good option too.

When i did my wrist ligamnets I was able to ride my mountainbike with a wrist brace well before i would have been able to without one.

So... to summarise.

consider other kiting activities like buggying.
find a flatwater spot.
do some cruising. You will be suprised how much joy just cruising gives you after a couple of months of no action.
strap/brace the ankle.
listen to the body.
slowly ramp the intensity up using your body as a guide.....

PS i'm not a doctor so take my advice with a grain of salt.
PSS Unless your doctor/physio actually kites they will not know what is involved and their reccomendations may well be very conservative based on their lack of knowledge of the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey,

I broke the end of my tibia and they used two screws to put it back together. It took me several months before I was able to get back going and I had lots of swelling and pain; however, maybe the way I broke it contributed to that. The Doc said it takes six to eight weeks for bones to heal so it will depend on the other things that will keep you from getting back on the water.

The other side of the coin is the scar and if you have to remove any hardware or problems with the hardware. I decided to leave the screws in and I have not had any problems with them (2008 surgery).

I did lose some movement in my ankle and it still looks swollen. When I wake up it is usually stiff in the morning and I have to stretch it out to get it going. On the brighter side I have a built in weather center as I can tell when the storms are coming.

Keep up the rehab as they can really help you get feeling and movement back. Take your time and you know when you are ready to get back to it.

Hopefully everything will heal fast and not cause you any problems.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Clew In

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next