[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need Help! New to kiteboarding
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 am 
Rare Poster

Can I teach myself with DvDs? Did you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If DVD's could teach you I'd be far more advanced than I am...

Short answer, no.

Long answer, they help to watch before the lessons, to get the most out of them, then after to consolidate the large amount of information you will get through the lesson.

Also asking questions here, like should I get a lesosn. That alone could save you a lot of money for damaged gear and damaged body parts. Gear is better and safer than it has ever been, but a powered kite in the hands of the wrong person is just as dangerous as during the early years.

People die doing this sport, dont fuck about it, get lessons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 am 
Medium Poster

old kites are not worth the hassle. i have lots of people turning up at my club with 200euro kites saying what a great deal they got. they delate after pumping them up and i never see them again. i dont sell my old kites to beginners as i dont think it is fair on them. if you insist on getting a second hand kite it is probably best to find one under 3 years old as this is the age the bladders start to deteriorate and make sure the the canopy material is still crispy. really you want to own a kite for the first half of its life, not the last half.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 am 
Frequent Poster

GregWoj wrote:
sijandy wrote:
GregWoj wrote:
Buy a kite made after 2012 model year and after. Seems to me the stuff that was made that year and certainly after shifted gears with ease of use, increased wind ranges, and most importantly, the bars/line systems from a safety and easy of use perspective.

haha bullshit... you get that straight off the product website?

Sorry man, I don't have a lot of insight to the stuff pre 2012. I just know the stuff I tried when I was learning seemed to have a few more features than my buddies older stuff. If you would like to elaborate on how older stuff (pre 2010) may even be safer and better im all ears.

Lots of changes and advances in kites around 07/08 so that's a good cut off marker for second hand, obviously conditition is important. With one exception i've never paid more than £350 for a kite - 09's and 10's, never had a prob.

GregWoj wrote:
Take it from a former "troll" about 18 months ago....

FYI - before you keep telling everyone your a "troll" it doesn't mean beginner haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 am 
Rare Poster

Hi,

I made so many mistakes
1 - didn't take a class
2 - bought a c kite
3 - bought another c kite

What I know now
1 - take kite surf lessons
2 - try to fly a trainer kite as much as possible before going to the lesson
3 - buy a kite that is easy to relaunch. I use Ride for Naish but there are many good kites like Catalyst, DNA, Envy.
4 - Get a big twin tip board. Helps with early start and can give you more wind range when the winds are light. Also use sit harness (the waist harness may go up to your chest in a windy day) then you can choose to use waist or sit harness in the future.

good luck

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for all the postive responses you are all giving me. I've been watching many instructional videos and getting as much out off the internet so I have an idea before lessons. And the kite I bought is like new and was only used once or twice by the previous owner. Its super crispy and the bladders hold air.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm 
Medium Poster

sijandy wrote:

FYI - before you keep telling everyone your a "troll" it doesn't mean beginner haha

Ha fair enough. I think I see what you are getting at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 pm 
Medium Poster

KyletheKiteman wrote:
Thanks for all the postive responses you are all giving me. I've been watching many instructional videos and getting as much out off the internet so I have an idea before lessons. And the kite I bought is like new and was only used once or twice by the previous owner. Its super crispy and the bladders hold air.

Yeah that's what they "told" you. There are salesmen in the world for a reason. I understand cost is a factor but like someone else said, when learning you want something that's easy to re-launch. My 11m Cab SB is very easy to re-launch and has been a good kite to learn on.

Also note that what you "see" and "read" on the net in terms of articles and videos is def good to obtain knowledge, but the physical act of kite launching, flying, re-launching, powering, riding upwind is a whole other ball game. If you are generally athletic and have a snowboarding + surfing + wake boarding background, you should progress at a good pace. If you do not have those backgrounds and haven't spend much time in the elements of nature (wind, water, variable conditions) then it will for certain be a challenge for you. Some people like that, some hate it. Buddy of mine saw me learning and progress and assumed it would be easy. So he watched videos, took lessons, and a year later, he still can not get up on the board. Everyone is different. But no matter how fast you progress, like Westozzy said, one wrong and impulsive move can seriously hurt you or someone else. Or, the best case you can hope for with a bad move: you just damage your gear. I think this video sums up the hidden dangers of this sport and is well watched in the community: Looks like an experienced kite flyer messing around before his session on the beach...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7WR8Z4Fmo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

GregWoj wrote:
Looks like an experienced kite flyer messing around before his session on the beach...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7WR8Z4Fmo

hahaha... what a prick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 pm 
Rare Poster

I do all the board sports and a good swimmer. I am more concerned about the safety of me and others. Thats why I will get lessons like the majority of you did. I am slightly mad I didnt do my research about the kite I bought but I truely think its pretty unused. I think I will resell and try to buy a modern kite from 11-13 meter kite, because I heard they are the easiest to learn on. What do you guys think? And yes im getting lessons!

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next