Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION

Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby The Captain » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am

Well gentlemen reviewers,

Fine work. I genuinely appreciate your efforts. I doubt many would bother giving the time required for this.

I know you said you wouldn't, but with the release of the Chrono, I would really like to read about you learning the few unique foil flying techniques (earlier comments lead me to believe you are not experienced with foils, or read too much PMU) and getting out to review the Ozone Chrono and Flysurfer Speed 4. 18m for both. It is a light wind kite review, but getting a 21m would make an uneven comparison to the other inflatables you have tested, at least in low end, and especially between the Chrono and the Speed 4. Maybe even the 15 meters? I am sure you could get your hands on some for demos....(you reading this Ted B?)

Don't take this post as a foil pimp...I do fly them, and love their pluses and accept their minuses (as we all do with every kite), but I genuinely and really would like to hear what you and your crew of testers have to say, assuming you keep an open mind (in consideration of your explanation as to why you would not review a foil, which was bogus, IMHO :wink: )

Anyone like to see this happen?

Thanks!

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 am

The Captain wrote:Well gentlemen reviewers,

Fine work. I genuinely appreciate your efforts. I doubt many would bother giving the time required for this.

I know you said you wouldn't, but with the release of the Chrono, I would really like to read about you learning the few unique foil flying techniques (earlier comments lead me to believe you are not experienced with foils, or read too much PMU) and getting out to review the Ozone Chrono and Flysurfer Speed 4. 18m for both. It is a light wind kite review, but getting a 21m would make an uneven comparison to the other inflatables you have tested, at least in low end, and especially between the Chrono and the Speed 4. Maybe even the 15 meters? I am sure you could get your hands on some for demos....(you reading this Ted B?)

Don't take this post as a foil pimp...I do fly them, and love their pluses and accept their minuses (as we all do with every kite), but I genuinely and really would like to hear what you and your crew of testers have to say, assuming you keep an open mind (in consideration of your explanation as to why you would not review a foil, which was bogus, IMHO :wink: )

Anyone like to see this happen?

Thanks!


There are two reasons why we have not gotten to test these foils. First they are both in very limited supply, and two is that they are very expensive even for a retailer like me.

If anyone wants to send us one or both I will be more than happy to fly them. :)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2775
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby BWD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:12 am

and average joe cannot sort a 9000 part bridle, or read german. :lol:

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby loco4viento » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 am

I would love a light wind foil shoot out, particularly between an Elf 16, a Chrono 18 and a Speed 21. I would even like to see a Pansh Aurora 21 in the mix.

If I were testing them, I would probably be inclined to test them all on the same bar and lines in order to truly evaluate and compare the kites themselves. And of course would test them against each other with their own supplied bars and lines. This way the kites as well as the whole packages can be compared.

The most important part of the testing (in my opinion) would be to make sure that the testers are actually people who are very well acquainted with foils. People who understand them and are experienced with them. And not people who have an interest in proving their inferiority.

If I had access to these kites I could do the test (with a friend or three) next month. I'd absolutely love the chance. Unfortunately I think I will have to wait for months or years, and might have to interpret the results from testers who don't understand foils (but claim to) and who are biased against them even before trying them.

I'm looking forward to reading what real users experience from these kites and other kites that make kiting possible in the lightest of winds.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 am

I agree I want to see a test done between the lotus 18 and chrono 18.
What I'm most curious about is the turning speed and low end. I have a feeling that the higher aspect will really add a lot of fun on the lower end boosting high, faster and getting upwind better. Which makes light wind kiting very fun. Only three points but these are the biggest points in light wind kiting. Makes for a fun day

User avatar
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby The Captain » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 pm

loco4viento wrote:...
The most important part of the testing (in my opinion) would be to make sure that the testers are actually people who are very well acquainted with foils. People who understand them and are experienced with them. And not people who have an interest in proving their inferiority.
....


On the contrary, I would like to see some relatively new foil flyers try them next to their LEI counterparts. I would like to see this crew of testers take the time to learn the few little things they should know, and then provide more of the same honest and open minded opinions. I have to believe none of them would have an interest in proving anything either way for any of the tested kites.

As for OceanAdventures expensive comment...

More expensive for sure, and of course buying just to test for the rest of us is unreasonable...

$2899 - Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 18m
$2865 - Ozono Chrono 18m
$2369 - Cab Contra 17m
$2278 - Core XR3 19m
$2250 - Best TS 17m
$2199 - Slingshot Turbine 17m
$2150 - Ozone Zephyr 17m
$2098 - Epic Infinity V3 (mystery sized!)
$1958 - Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m

To list a few, all with bar.

Hopefully, Ozone and Flysurfer dealers (or riders) will step up with some demos. Will you request some?

User avatar
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.
Location: In front of you and pulling away. hardwaterkiter.com USA
Contact:

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:29 pm

If you are an experienced snow rider Hardwater Kiting (hardwaterkiter.com) currently has a 15m Chrono demo and an 18m demo on the way here. We will eventually also have an 18m Matrixx 2 demo which is one that you have left off your list.

The plan at some point this winter we will do a side by side comparison between all three models though realistically it's essentially 3 different categories of kite, but people want to know what the noticeable differences may be. Ourselves included.

The Chrono is more closely related to the Elf Joker. The Speed is less of a race kite and more an all rounder with qualities of both race and freeride in one kite. One could argue that is a good thing, or bad depending on your perspective.

The Matrixx 2 is more in the same vein as the Flysurfer Psycho 4. In fact it's very close in tech specs as the Psycho 4. More a freeride kite giving up some raw light wind ability for lower AR and more nimbleness. We really liked the Matrixxx 1 and are looking forward to trying the Matrixx 2.

What we find may or may not carry much weight in term of water use. But we just wanted to let you know that we have a limited demo program and if you ride snow and are in our area kites are available to try. :D

BTW the Matrixx 2 18m comes RTF for $1999.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 3:38 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Malibu

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby FredBGG » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:31 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:There are two reasons why we have not gotten to test these foils. First they are both in very limited supply, and two is that they are very expensive even for a retailer like me.



A retailer (a business that sells kites) reviewing kites through average joe riders....

This will give you good results with mainstream kites, but foils, in particular high aspect ratio foils
and low wind it is quite a different way of flying and riding.

To give you an example, I've been riding foils for years and knew them inside out. Flown them from 6mph to 45mph, 21m to 6m. I took a break from foils and did not own one for about a couple of years. When I got one again it took me at least a few sessions to ride the kite in a manner that would show it's performance.

Many differences between a Foil and a Pump up. Both have their pros and cons.

But most of all both have more pros than cons :thumb:

norcom
Frequent Poster
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 pm
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a Slingshot and Spleene Zone fan.
Location: Florida

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils

Postby norcom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:49 pm

An avg Joe can afford a Pansh Aurora 22m. Do a review of that. :)


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], iriejohn, MSNbot Media and 26 guests