All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am 
Frequent Poster

Well gentlemen reviewers,

Fine work. I genuinely appreciate your efforts. I doubt many would bother giving the time required for this.

I know you said you wouldn't, but with the release of the Chrono, I would really like to read about you learning the few unique foil flying techniques (earlier comments lead me to believe you are not experienced with foils, or read too much PMU) and getting out to review the Ozone Chrono and Flysurfer Speed 4. 18m for both. It is a light wind kite review, but getting a 21m would make an uneven comparison to the other inflatables you have tested, at least in low end, and especially between the Chrono and the Speed 4. Maybe even the 15 meters? I am sure you could get your hands on some for demos....(you reading this Ted B?)

Don't take this post as a foil pimp...I do fly them, and love their pluses and accept their minuses (as we all do with every kite), but I genuinely and really would like to hear what you and your crew of testers have to say, assuming you keep an open mind (in consideration of your explanation as to why you would not review a foil, which was bogus, IMHO :wink: )

Anyone like to see this happen?

Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Foils
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 am 
Frequent Poster

The Captain wrote:
Well gentlemen reviewers,

Fine work. I genuinely appreciate your efforts. I doubt many would bother giving the time required for this.

I know you said you wouldn't, but with the release of the Chrono, I would really like to read about you learning the few unique foil flying techniques (earlier comments lead me to believe you are not experienced with foils, or read too much PMU) and getting out to review the Ozone Chrono and Flysurfer Speed 4. 18m for both. It is a light wind kite review, but getting a 21m would make an uneven comparison to the other inflatables you have tested, at least in low end, and especially between the Chrono and the Speed 4. Maybe even the 15 meters? I am sure you could get your hands on some for demos....(you reading this Ted B?)

Don't take this post as a foil pimp...I do fly them, and love their pluses and accept their minuses (as we all do with every kite), but I genuinely and really would like to hear what you and your crew of testers have to say, assuming you keep an open mind (in consideration of your explanation as to why you would not review a foil, which was bogus, IMHO :wink: )

Anyone like to see this happen?

Thanks!

There are two reasons why we have not gotten to test these foils. First they are both in very limited supply, and two is that they are very expensive even for a retailer like me.

If anyone wants to send us one or both I will be more than happy to fly them. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

and average joe cannot sort a 9000 part bridle, or read german. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I would love a light wind foil shoot out, particularly between an Elf 16, a Chrono 18 and a Speed 21. I would even like to see a Pansh Aurora 21 in the mix.

If I were testing them, I would probably be inclined to test them all on the same bar and lines in order to truly evaluate and compare the kites themselves. And of course would test them against each other with their own supplied bars and lines. This way the kites as well as the whole packages can be compared.

The most important part of the testing (in my opinion) would be to make sure that the testers are actually people who are very well acquainted with foils. People who understand them and are experienced with them. And not people who have an interest in proving their inferiority.

If I had access to these kites I could do the test (with a friend or three) next month. I'd absolutely love the chance. Unfortunately I think I will have to wait for months or years, and might have to interpret the results from testers who don't understand foils (but claim to) and who are biased against them even before trying them.

I'm looking forward to reading what real users experience from these kites and other kites that make kiting possible in the lightest of winds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 am 
Medium Poster

I agree I want to see a test done between the lotus 18 and chrono 18.
What I'm most curious about is the turning speed and low end. I have a feeling that the higher aspect will really add a lot of fun on the lower end boosting high, faster and getting upwind better. Which makes light wind kiting very fun. Only three points but these are the biggest points in light wind kiting. Makes for a fun day

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

loco4viento wrote:
The most important part of the testing (in my opinion) would be to make sure that the testers are actually people who are very well acquainted with foils. People who understand them and are experienced with them. And not people who have an interest in proving their inferiority.

On the contrary, I would like to see some relatively new foil flyers try them next to their LEI counterparts. I would like to see this crew of testers take the time to learn the few little things they should know, and then provide more of the same honest and open minded opinions. I have to believe none of them would have an interest in proving anything either way for any of the tested kites.

As for OceanAdventures expensive comment...

More expensive for sure, and of course buying just to test for the rest of us is unreasonable...

$2899 - Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 18m
$2865 - Ozono Chrono 18m
$2369 - Cab Contra 17m
$2278 - Core XR3 19m
$2250 - Best TS 17m
$2199 - Slingshot Turbine 17m
$2150 - Ozone Zephyr 17m
$2098 - Epic Infinity V3 (mystery sized!)
$1958 - Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m

To list a few, all with bar.

Hopefully, Ozone and Flysurfer dealers (or riders) will step up with some demos. Will you request some?

[ 6 posts ]