Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My diy carbon foilboard......will it work?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


Scuba
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None

My diy carbon foilboard......will it work?

Postby Scuba » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi
Its been time consuming to say the least! Maybe 60 hours including making plug, mold, then solid carbon.
But happy with the result, will have to spend more time on the rear wing, make it a little thinner.
Still got to convert old windsurfer to foilboard. And sink a tuttle box in.
Panicing about the foil falling off the board?? Might put a leash on the top to the board some how, untill I know its going no where.
But will it work???
Attachments
20140319_184944.jpg
Last edited by Scuba on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Cape Cod, MA USA

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby ed257 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:58 pm

That looks great. You have a lot into it. How did you design the wings and determine the spacing between them?

Scuba
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby Scuba » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Scuba wrote:Hi
Its been time consuming to say the least! Maybe 60 hours including making plug, mold, then solid carbon.
But happy with the result, will have to spend more time on the rear wing, make it a little thinner.
Still got to convert old windsurfer to foilboard. And sink a tuttle box in.
Panicing about the foil falling off the board?? Might put a leash on the top to the board some how, untill I know its going no where.
But will it work???

I made a wooden version first, then it broken! So re thought the weak part and fuse length, plus everybody's plans and input from the forum.
Fingers crossed it works, it's all hell stiff and ridged though, we will see.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 7081
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Looking good Scuba :thumb:

The only thing that might make it not work, could be the angle between the wings.
Well, AOA relative that is...

If you have made it just like most other foils, it will work, for sure :rollgrin:

Distance between, position on board etc. is not important, only trim details - but the AOA has to be within the "operational" range I am sure :naughty:

And no, I have not tested what that range is... Also dependant of your profile/camber choices and washout or not etc.
Some are putting washers on the front and rear screw of their tailswing, to find their "most liked" AOA, but I havent done that myself...

8) Peter

Tone
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 pm

That looks great!

Really well done!

:)

Scuba
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby Scuba » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Looking good Scuba :thumb:

The only thing that might make it not work, could be the angle between the wings.
Well, AOA relative that is...

If you have made it just like most other foils, it will work, for sure :rollgrin:

Distance between, position on board etc. is not important, only trim details - but the AOA has to be within the "operational" range I am sure :naughty:

And no, I have not tested what that range is... Also dependant of your profile/camber choices and washout or not etc.
Some are putting washers on the front and rear screw of their tailswing, to find their "most liked" AOA, but I havent done that myself...

8) Peter

Thanks guys
I think I will start off with both wings at zero pitch and then add shims to the rear wing to add negative pitch (leading edge pitched down away from the board) might be the way to go.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3581
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Might be best to velcro a float onto the tail of the board and have a thin kite line from it under the tail to the mast?

Idea is that if the mast rips out, it pulls the float off rather than breaks the cord or you have the foil flying after you on a leash.

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics 9,11,15
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby davesails7 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Do you have any pictures of the wood one that broke? How long did it last?

I was thinking of building a wood foil to try some things out the possibly build a glass or carbon one.

Scuba
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby Scuba » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:14 pm

ronnie wrote:Might be best to velcro a float onto the tail of the board and have a thin kite line from it under the tail to the mast?

Idea is that if the mast rips out, it pulls the float off rather than breaks the cord or you have the foil flying after you on a leash.

Ronnie I like your way of thinking I shall look into it.
Cheers

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:16 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Location: Kettle Point Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: My effort so far......will it work????

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

looks great scuba. its making me want to build one more and more

terrie


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests