All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The best Kite for heavy riders?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
I'd agree with bigwave.

Cabrinha Switchblade, LW Contra.

Slingshot Rally, LW Turbine.

Blade Trigger, LW Fat Lady.

Question…what board or boards are you riding?

For the above in 2014's, all those kites have really good pull in the smaller sizes and the LW kites are plenty for you. I'm 210 and ride all the kites above regularly.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i dont think there is anything special, you just multiply to figure out the right size.

So if the 175 pound riders which is a size a lot of these kites are targeted for, ride a 12 meter of any particular brand for local conditions, if you weigh 250 you need a 250/175 * 12 = 17 meter kite of the same brand.

Problem of course is a lot of kite manufacturers quit making the jumbo kites which kind of sucks so you have to ride the "light wind" kites like the turbine, dyno, zephyr and of course the flysurfer 21 meter kite.

Little guys will look at you funny when you take out the flysurfer when it's blowing 25 knots but if you are a big lad it is fine. It's not about the size of the kite it's about the ratio of wing size to weight.

I don't think you necessarily need a larger board. Yes it will get you on a plane easier but once you are riding you don't really need a larger board than a tiny fella.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 am 
Rare Poster

Quote:
Question…what board or boards are you riding?
Quote:

I ride with a North Whip X-surf 6', a North Nugget 5'5'', a Cabrinha Calider 136x42 and a Caliber 139x43 (i'm gonna sell one of those 2).

Some kites tend to fold when boosting (even when correctly pumped)... and some kites are more rigid to support our "fat ass"... the Rebel (which I havent ridden yet) is supposed to be one of those rigid kites.

Thanks for your comments!!!

Bruno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Burn45 wrote:
Hi planet kite!

This thread is for heavy riders only (90 kg and more... 200 pounds and more).

If you're a 150 pounds guys and did ride and jump with a 70 pounds backpack (to feel like me), this thread is for you too :lol:

I'd like to know you're experience with kites that are fun to ride for heavy weight.

Some kites can be awesome for a 170 pounds kiter... and be so so for a heavy weight.

Which kite is the best for you?

What is your quiver?

I'm a 6'3'' 220 pounds (100kg) and ride Evos 7-9-12 (which i love) and OR Flite 17m(which i havent tried yet)
I was thinking of Rebel 7-10-13 for my next quiver...or Core XR3

I'm in freeride (60%), wave (20%), freestyle (20%)

Thanks!!!

In short, a friend of mine is 120 kg...had North kites all of his kiting career....made a choise in not paying so much money anymore for his kites.
He dide a bit of testing and came out at Switchkites NITRO v3 in 16m 12m and will now get his 10 m in too.
He told me he never had such good kites for his weight...
But the simple thing here is the 30 day return at Switchkites, test them if you are not happy send the kite back!
The quality of the kites is equal and better than some big players, the price is a killer too in a positive way for your wallet.

You can find them here www.switchkites.com
Cheers
Dude :cool2:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey I am 200lbs and just over six feet and I have been through a lot of kites! Right now I am using Epic kites and find that they have that low end grunt that we bigger lads need to get going. My favorite by far is the screamer 10m Ltd as it is a nimble kite but has a nice range. I can get out in 13+ knots and it really comes into its own around the 16-18 knot mark. The Judge 8m I use, lets me get out when people are on their 7-9m kites (40lbs less weight than me). The Infinity is new to me but I have been really impressed with the low end on this kite. I am hoping to pair it with a sector board and be able to get out in winds that I wouldn't have thought possible before. The more that I use these kites the more that I really like them. Epic takes a lot of flake on this forum but they do make some high quality kites that are well suited for the heavier rider.

James

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 pm 
Medium Poster

+1 for Epic. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm coming from a 15m Big Momma, but my 13m Renegade has pretty much the same pull and range and is lighter and more nimble, and stays in the air in lighter winds. Plus you won't get as much stink-eye from the size-police nervous nellys on the beach. Was so happy I bought the 11m as well which keeps me on the water when it gets up to the 30mph range. There is extra length on the steering lines to add depower knots, which I did. So at the moment, the 13m and 11m Renegades are pretty much my whole quiver.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm about 110 KG and i mostly ride a 12m Screamer. Which has massive power. I ride it from 14 to 30 knots myself. I prefer the 12m above the 14m because of its speed.

And for higher wind i have a 10m Screamer for 25 and up. i usually dont ride smaller then this.

The Renegades are nice too. They invite to play. where the screamers are more serious business. Most epics are really powerfull for their size and speed.

All brands make good kites i personally prefer the stronger big air kites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

214lbs switch nitro 14v3, 11m element, 9 m method, 7m combat I ride strapless 99.999999% of the time. 14m I can ride in 8-10knots on this Image I go out with the boys on the sectors around here and can ride no problems

but start to have fun in 12knots.
7 combat I go too 40+ knots on a custom surf as well.

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

Terrie those are some amazing looking boards! I have admired the boards that you guys have been putting out for the last few years and they are stunning!

James

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm 
Frequent Poster

thanks James... We try to make the customers happy
2014 is going to be another leap forward also... I will post something in the near future if all goes well

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next