All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fins for Space Pickle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Ok, so I went and bought a SS. space potato. Had it out once in 10 knots. Fun board, super turny and easy to olly. Its like 5x looser than my 2011 5-8 celeritas. Gonna be fun in more wind.

Now the problem is the cheapo fins actually hum at slow speeds..they are about 4" front, 3+" back and one sided foils.

Looking at getting some better quads, many have 80-20 foils or 50-50 foils. How wil that effect board?

Last edited by TomW on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Fins for Space potato
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Sorry I mean Space pickle...product page says rear fins are double foil. Dont think so...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 pm 
Frequent Poster

FCS PC3 are working nicely on mine.
Not a ton of time on it yet, but seems like a great improvement.

http://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-quads/q-pc3-quad-set

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:24 am 
Medium Poster

What are you actaully measuring with those 4" and 3+" numbers? Base length? depth? http://www.futuresfins.com/en-us/fin-school/template

Get some either solid fiberglass, performance core(what fcs calls the hex looking core), or fins with carbon in them. Those will be much stiffer than the plastic fins, I'm assuming that's what the stock ones are if you think they feel flimsy.

With the power that the kite generates going to a inside foil isn't going make as much difference as if you just surfed two identical fins of flat and inside foil.

50-50 trailers are going to be more "stable" than a flat foil, a 80-20 somewhere between a 50-50 and flat foil.

I wish that there was a Futures Controllers in a FCS double tab, well not for long as I'm making myself some, I think those would kick as for light wind boards for their increased area. Also I would be interested to see how bonzers would kite...but now I'm going way beyond what you asked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks guys- makes sense.
I was talking about depth, but am aware that base length and sweed and cant effect everything. so many variables.

I ordered these because they were available locally at reasonable price.

http://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-quads/v2-quad-set

see what happens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Got the fins pretty quick. They are a bit larger, but today out in 12-18 knots choppy wind waves 0.5 m high, it worked great. Same super turny, it turns fast with ankle motion. No humming from fins. Tons of fun this board. Way more fun than my celeritas. Iwas on 17m kite and in sustained higher winds and at bar top end of kite, I had no problems.
They should make a higher wind version of it. Keep the turny, slashy feel.
My go to board now!

Attachments:
PhotoGrid_1396028057114.jpg
PhotoGrid_1396028057114.jpg [ 2.55 MIB | Viewed 537 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Are the better fins any stronger when you hit the beach? I ride my SP in shallow water a lot and have snapped several plastic fins.

Don't want to spend ~$100 on a set of fins if I'm probably going to break them too. Also, if they are stronger I might just break my fin boxes.

Maybe I should just stop stomping the fins into the bottom when tacking :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:26 am 
Medium Poster

davesails7 wrote:
Are the better fins any stronger when you hit the beach? I ride my SP in shallow water a lot and have snapped several plastic fins.

Don't want to spend ~$100 on a set of fins if I'm probably going to break them too. Also, if they are stronger I might just break my fin boxes.

Maybe I should just stop stomping the fins into the bottom when tacking :D

Stop being a hack, problem solved.

BUT you could try some bonzer fins sans center fin. No idea how that'd ride, other than it wanting to slide out super easy. But the bonzer fins are pretty damn low profile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

TomW wrote:
They should make a higher wind version of it. Keep the turny, slashy feel.
My go to board now!

I have the 5'0" as well and love it.
They do make a "higher wind" version. Look in the wakesurfing section of their website. They have a 4'6". I have ridden that as well and it is a lot of fun and surprisingly at 180 lbs. I can ride it in light air. It is shorter and narrower but still tons of fun...if not more;

http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake/products/wakesurfers/2014-space-pickle-sku-14288

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

NorCalNomad wrote:
...BUT you could try some bonzer fins sans center fin. No idea how that'd ride, other than it wanting to slide out super easy. But the bonzer fins are pretty damn low profile.

I ride the board all the time without the rear (center) fins. It is a blast. Turns super quick which makes for a lot of fun on ankle biter waves. When you want it to track solid put your foot over the fins, when you want it loose, move your foot back to the tail. It rides more like a skim like that.
This is what they recommend on the website;

Quote:
FINS

(2) — 3.625” CENTER FINS (2) — 4.5” OUTER FINS
(Remove center fins for more aggressive performance
and remove outer fins for a more controlled longboard feel)

Lately I have been riding it without the rear fins on small waves and familiar terrain.
When riding it on heavy wind days with a lot of chop or bigger waves, I put all the fins on for added stability.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next