All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Folding tips on Flysurfer Speed4 10 - Urgent!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello everybody!

Sorry for making a new post but I can´t find the solution anywhere else and I´m participating in Red Bull Ragnarok next week.

My speed 4 10m is behaving really strange in the air:
It flies pretty stable on the beach (except I think it flies a bit to far over my head) but when I´m gaining speed on the water the tips starts folding in, really bad, It almost collapses!
One other thing that is strange is that it can (as I´m riding) lose all power and fall down in to the powerzon and then catch the wind with lots of power.

I have have adjusted the B-main in different steps from -1 to -4cm with no success.
I measured the Sparepart lines which should be 100cm but they where 96,5 cm.
Could that been the main problem?

As there´s almost no wind at the moment where I live (and lack of kite spots) I´m not able to test the kite before next week when it´s racetime....

IF the sparepart-line replace doesn't work, what more can I check?

Best regards
Lars

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Folding tips on Flysurfer Speed4 10 - Urgent!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi Lars
Contact Flysurfer direct. I had the same problem with 10m S4 and am waiting for a replacement kite to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:48 pm 
Rare Poster

Bertie wrote:
Hi Lars
Contact Flysurfer direct. I had the same problem with 10m S4 and am waiting for a replacement kite to arrive.

Ok, thanks!
I've read on different forums with similar problem and about people who's gotten their kites replaced so that cold be an option.

The strange thing is that it flew really good for about 10-15 sessions before it started to behave strange.

What was you experience?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Tip folding is part of the flysurfer's depower system, on my Speed 3 deluxe, it has the same problem. The only way I can do is to keep pulling in the bar to power up to prevent tip folding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 pm 
Rare Poster

Hawaiis wrote:
Tip folding is part of the flysurfer's depower system, on my Speed 3 deluxe, it has the same problem. The only way I can do is to keep pulling in the bar to power up to prevent tip folding.

Well, I haven't had any problem with folding tips (in this kind of way) on the 2 speed3 15m and 21m kites I've owned.

That's why this extreme behavior surprises me.
Sure, the tips can fold a bit on my speed3s but this one collapses, that's not normal!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hawaiis wrote:

You are completely wrong.

Folding tips are a sign of a poorly trimmed kite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Unbelievably Speed4s (at least some) appear to be delivered without quality (and line length) control.
I had quite the same issue on both my 8 and 10 with the following symptoms:
- unable to trim it properly (ie, being able to just stall the when standing on the beach in a breeze when pulling the bar completely and depower on "full power")
- stayed at the edge of the window at all times (not nice for wave kiting)
- lack of power (could hardly jump)
- turning on one side when depowering (when the load was on the front line)
The folding always occur when depowering beyond a certain point; it's normal. But my impression is that feature has been reduced on the Speed4s (when adequately tuned!), compared to the Speed3s
Obviously the solution to the first three issues was to lengthen the front lines (with the black line above the depower system), but that made the last problem even worse, because the side safety line being too short (!) was pulling even more then.
My back (steering) lines were a good 10 cm too long (others reported up to 20!), so the fix simply was to make one or two double eight knots on the thicker part of the lines just above the bar (you need to separate the back lines from the bar, needless to say).
Hope this helps.
BTW, the Speed4s (small sizes) are fantastic kites when tuned properly. My 10 practically replaced my Sp3 12.
Hope it helps. Cheers :bye:

skydive wrote:
Hello everybody!
Sorry for making a new post but I can´t find the solution anywhere else and I´m participating in Red Bull Ragnarok next week.

My speed 4 10m is behaving really strange in the air:
It flies pretty stable on the beach (except I think it flies a bit to far over my head) but when I´m gaining speed on the water the tips starts folding in, really bad, It almost collapses!t
Best regards
Lars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:

folding wingtip is one of the three depower systems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:50 pm 
Medium Poster

Hawaiis wrote:
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:

folding wingtip is one of the three depower systems.

I agree with Tone.....seems like you are confusing 'adaptive canopy curve' with wingtip fold/collapse. ACC is one of the three depower systems, wingtip fold/collapse is not. ACC transitions the wing from relatively curved (more C shaped) for lower power, to relatively flat for more power.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ACC is an ideal shape to depower, but in reality, it became jellyfish.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next