All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kite surfing Stilbaai Reef, South Africa
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 pm 
Rare Poster

As mentioned in a previous post, in Stilbaai, South Africa where I am from, the predominant wind for kite surfing is SE, which is cross-on-shore and blows in the summer months about 80% of the time Cape Town is on and about 70% of the strength. Out of season the wind is NE and SW, which is offshore and normally storm driven and super gusty. Stilbaai Reef is great surf spot. However if the SW or NW blows hard and the swell is big it is a world class kite surfing spot
One can pick up a big set right at the back of the point (blinder), where it is massive, surf that right to the reef brake and if the surfers allow you to or they are blown away, one can also ride the surf section. I do not ride a surfboard, but can just imagine what guys that can properly use a surfboard would be able to do. The video is a bit grainy, but better in HD

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kite surfing Stilbaai Reef, South Africa
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wow that spot doesn't suck, you are very lucky :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm 
Rare Poster

Wow, you should seriously start considering riding a surfboard if you live near there. Those conditions are awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 pm 
Rare Poster

You are a natural on the waves, nice riding, you absolutely must get a surfboard. Those are some seriously sweet waves, and the filming is so raw, very old school. The wind looks side-shore as well, which is ideal.

I get the sense that if you were to crash you would quickly end up getting pummeled on the those rocks, yes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks guys, the spot is a bomb!!! I should try it with a surfboard, but my skills on a surfboard for that size is lacking. On the other hand I really, really like boosting/kitelooping and so every time I am about to give it a go with a surfboard I chicken out. When you come back up from the line up on this wave you can boost soo high of the huge kickers into a gust.....hee haa.

As far as the rocks are concerned they will get you if you fall on the point section. Down towards the reef section there is quite a side wash so you just miss the last rock section if you wipe. However if you wipe on a set you might get stuck even there.

The video does not show the section right at the back of the point - see pic - you can ride all the way to the back (blinder) see a big one welling up, pick it up and ride it all the way to the harbor. However if you fall there at the back it will not be pretty.

Thank you for the comments on the video as well - I think it turned so out old school, as my wife did not use a tripod, but filmed it free hand without the stabilisation on.....by accident;-).

Attachments:
stilbaai point.PNG
stilbaai point.PNG [ 710.28 KIB | Viewed 292 times ]

Last edited by Timop on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

Nice!! :thumb:

[ 6 posts ]