*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1063
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
Alpine foil 4.5 with 2014 Ozone Edge 19M


Hey bud,

You're choking the hell out of that kite. You need to let it breathe much more.

When you have the kite at 12, pull in a little to get enough tension in the back lines to get the kite to turn. As the kite dives, push the bar out, the kite will fly a LOT faster and as you turn it back up you can start to pull in a bit, but nearly never the whole way. You need to get that kite flying fast so that when you DO pull the bar in your have all that power built up from the dive of the kite.

Also, the fact you're having to almost lock the bar to keep the kite tracking doesn't make any sense either. That kite does not look like it is trimmed well at all.

With the kite above you in 8 knots, you should be able to pull the bar the whole way in with little to no back stall.

Let the kite breathe and it will work a lot better for you

Tone
the problem is the wind was not 8 knots, it was more like 4-5 knots. The kite was back stalling it was running on apparent wind, as soon as the speed slows it dropped to the water. I had to depower all the way and do a few kite loops to get started, that is why you see all the twist on the line.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 1485
Hawaiis wrote:
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
Alpine foil 4.5 with 2014 Ozone Edge 19M


Hey bud,

You're choking the hell out of that kite. You need to let it breathe much more.

When you have the kite at 12, pull in a little to get enough tension in the back lines to get the kite to turn. As the kite dives, push the bar out, the kite will fly a LOT faster and as you turn it back up you can start to pull in a bit, but nearly never the whole way. You need to get that kite flying fast so that when you DO pull the bar in your have all that power built up from the dive of the kite.

Also, the fact you're having to almost lock the bar to keep the kite tracking doesn't make any sense either. That kite does not look like it is trimmed well at all.

With the kite above you in 8 knots, you should be able to pull the bar the whole way in with little to no back stall.

Let the kite breathe and it will work a lot better for you

Tone
the problem is the wind was not 8 knots, it was more like 4-5 knots. The kite was back stalling it was running on apparent wind, as soon as the speed slows it dropped to the water. I had to depower all the way and do a few kite loops to get started, that is why you see all the twist on the line.


I was using 8 knots as an example.

4.5 knots is seriously light wind. You'd need an 18 chrono to have a real change in those winds!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:44 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1063
This is the new 2014 Ozone Edge 19M, I am not sure the Ozone Chrono 18M will have any more advantage other than able to stay in the air better. I have tried the Flysurfer Speed3 deluxe and it is not better than my old Ozone Edge 17M in light wind.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:57 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 1485
Hawaiis wrote:
This is the new 2014 Ozone Edge 19M, I am not sure the Ozone Chrono 18M will have any more advantage other than able to stay in the air better. I have tried the Flysurfer Speed3 deluxe and it is not better than my old Ozone Edge 17M in light wind.


The Chrono will have a lot more usable power and will pick up apparent wind a lot quicker.

I had the 15m for a while and it was WAY more powerful than the same size Speed 4 lotus. I could get on the plane and in the straps on my raceboard in 5-6 knots and I weigh over 100kg. A friend who flew has a 17m Edge is selling his Edge after flying the 15m Chrono I had.

The 18m would be incredible in light winds and has already proven itself as such.

I will pick up an 18m soon to sit over my Flysurfer speed 4 lotus.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:23 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 767
Hawaiis,

Is that John A?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1063
No, he is Jplmain


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:49 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 am
Posts: 2
I own an Zeeko 21 and 17 m2, also a chrono 15m2:

- the chrono 15 works fine in 5 nds (original line lenght, 82kg; high aspect wings prototype foil ; low volume board) it seems to have the same power as the 21 with a range for me 4.5-17 nds (huuuuge jumps). at 10 nds with the 21 I was "overpowered".

-actually the relaunch was possible at 5 nds without any swimming sesssion

- i never could relaunch even the 17 at 7 nds (no current)

zeeko 21 and 17 for sale !


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 251
Location: US
@y3434
No LEI kite on the market at that size;17-21m can be re-launched easily in such low wind!
That is the reason E.R.A. was invented on Zeeko kites.
Have you tried to use the Zeeko E.R.A. system when re-launching?



Last edited by KitesurferRO on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Alpinefoil 4.5 Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 1485
KitesurferRO wrote:
@y3434
No kite on the market at that size;17-21m can be re-launched easily in such low wind!
That is the reason E.R.A. was invented on Zeeko kites.
Have you tried to use the Zeeko E.R.A. system when re-launching?



no tube kite.

Foil kites can be relaunched in very VERY low wind.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group