All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wainman
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kite scoop....really?...really...

"Imagine our surprise, when a section of our unedited correspondence found its way to the public. Something we had never intended."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:21 pm 
Rare Poster

NYKiter wrote:
Kite scoop....really?...really...

"Imagine our surprise, when a section of our unedited correspondence found its way to the public. Something we had never intended."

what are you saying?
you are aware lou posted it on his own publicly viewable facebook feed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:00 pm 
Rare Poster

lchen wrote:
Lou wasn't just a "wakestyler" he could surf on a McDonald's tray. He went strapless. He did whatever it was that brought a smile to his face. But, he also didn't go begging the entire competition world to shape itself to his standards. When he got bored.. he zoomed off out of the competition zone to do his own stuff. For him, fun was the objective, not winning competitions.

Huge props to Ichen on the above statement. :thumb:

Lou has never been about self ego, unlike where I see the younger generation trying to take the sport. I sure hope he can land on his feet and start a new chapter in his life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Casair wrote:
lchen wrote:
Lou wasn't just a "wakestyler" he could surf on a McDonald's tray. He went strapless. He did whatever it was that brought a smile to his face. But, he also didn't go begging the entire competition world to shape itself to his standards. When he got bored.. he zoomed off out of the competition zone to do his own stuff. For him, fun was the objective, not winning competitions.

Huge props to Ichen on the above statement. :thumb:

Lou has never been about self ego, unlike where I see the younger generation trying to take the sport. I sure hope he can land on his feet and start a new chapter in his life.

Spot on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Lou is why I kite, basically. More precisely, why I decided to start.
Sure I had heard of the Legaignoux brothers and Cory Roesler and seen a few articles about what Laird Hamilton was up to....
But I saw Lou kite in 2000 first hand, going big, and wearing boots, and decided, that is it.
The future.
I think it's long been known he had some challenges that probably pushed him to great heights at times and were obstacles other times.
It's a shame this kind of thing can come into the spotlight in the context of a business dispute.
I've known people of several professions who have managed to triumph over bipolar disorder and other challenges and they are inspiring when successful. Artists, athletes, even doctors!
And it can be frightening when they aren't able to manage it.
Lou I would help however I could.
I hope enough people close to him feel the same, it can be hard to reach out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm 
Medium Poster

My 2 cents...

It doesn't matter whos name is on the kite. If its a bad product, people will bash it. Yet rarely have I seen/heard anyone talk trash about Wainman Hawaii products. Now Lou is one of a kind and his skills (especially during the infancy of the sport) are respected by all. Nobody searches youtube for kite videos of Pete Cabrinha or Robbie Naish but they do search for Lou Wainman. What has always seemed odd to me is I didn't always see Lou riding Rabbits. I may be wrong but I think the shop he teaches at doesn't even sell WH. To me it appeared that Lou was "one foot out of the door" anyway. WH and Lou need to agree on a fair paycheck & benefits to Lou and his family...let Lou be Lou (without the rants)...let WH continue to make great products, expand their line-up, hire some young gun riders, and market their product like the other guys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

seaplus wrote:
To me it appeared that Lou was "one foot out of the door" anyway. WH and Lou need to agree on a fair paycheck & benefits to Lou and his family...let Lou be Lou (without the rants)...let WH continue to make great products, expand their line-up, hire some young gun riders, and market their product like the other guys.

I think the links between Lou Wainman and Wainman kites are probably over to be honest. Hopefully if he manages to pull through this difficult period then he will be able to continue having an input to the sport. I am no expert on the subject but after reading that interview I was left with the impression the poor guy has some very serious personal issues and probably needs some help pulling through whatever he is going through.

Last edited by UKSurf on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

or is he just plain you? He seems to always have had a bit of an anti corporate vibe about him and may have just spit out garble for the interview cause he thought it was funny. Clearly, I don't know the man, and any speculation about him is just that unless you're close to him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 pm 
Medium Poster

True...a shitload of conclusions being made without any facts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

seaplus wrote:
a shitload of conclusions being made without any facts.

That should be the tag line for Kiteforum!

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next