All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: I.T.C. advice.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:12 am 
Rare Poster

I'm looking forward to get my I.T.C. done but there's something I'm not quite sure about and that is whether or not should I get it done somewhere they offer an opportunity to work after getting it done there/with them or not worry about it and just get it done anywhere I want assuming that it would be easy to find a job right off the bat.
I have many friends within the diving industry and something I saw several times was people getting their I.D.C(Equivalent of I.T.C.) done and struggling to get a job sometimes months at the time just 'cause they didn't have any previous work experience so I wonder if it's the same case within the kiteboarding industry.
Input from those of you already teaching would be very much appreciate it. Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: I.T.C. advice.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Do you think Real has ITC certified instructors?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 am 
Rare Poster

Hello,

You will need to get your AITC done first , together with Boat handling and First Aid. After this , you can apply for the ITC.

We are having AITC done in our club. http://www.seabreezekiteclub.com/

Send me a message for more info required.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 pm 
Rare Poster

maurice_k wrote:
You will need to get your AITC done first , together with Boat handling and First Aid. After this , you can apply for the ITC.

We are having AITC done in our club. http://www.seabreezekiteclub.com/

Not even remotely what he has asked for... just plain advertisement.

As for your questions YaMon90:

My suggestion after 8 years of teaching: Do not fall for IKO! Instead of an ITC, look for a school that is willing to take you under their wings. You will learn a lot more in a season "helping out" at a school than with the IKO ITC. Period. You'll be probably teaching within your first month (depending on your current skills and experience).

After that it should be easy to find work. You'll have hands-on experience, connections and (given you do your job right) a positive reference to add to your future job-applications.

Even if you don't find a job right away after that, you just saved 1000$...that should carry you through a couple of month until you find work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 am 
Rare Poster

My suggestion after 8 years of teaching: Do not fall for IKO! Instead of an ITC, look for a school that is willing to take you under their wings. You will learn a lot more in a season "helping out" at a school than with the IKO ITC. Period. You'll be probably teaching within your first month (depending on your current skills and experience).

Hello,

I would like to say to you that there are people here that don't use the IKO. That's fine. The only thing is looking through the eye of the student: I would NEVER learn with a school who does not have the qualified teachers who can also give me depth explained in the sport.
IkO is not all great etc... I was working full time ( and still am ) as an Instructor.
They use a path that you can use to climb the ladder and have things well explained to your students.

You have to make your own choice. But if I were you , I would do the AITC first. Then ITC. and then look on the IKO website for jobs that ARE available to you.

Learn this sport properly, pass it on with confidence and earn nice money. Doors are opening for you when you have the certification.

THanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 am 
Rare Poster

"I’m not dismissing the value of higher education; I’m simply saying it comes at the expense of experience." Steve Jobs

I believe in a thorough training provided by a school in a real-life setup. That IMHO is way more valuable as an AITC, ITC or any other 6-day training program.

The last job I scored based on my IKO certification was back in 2009. Ever since, all it came down to was experience, skills (and perhaps connections).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:44 am 
Medium Poster

An IKO ITC can be a great source of information, if given by a good examiner, just like a kitesurfing lesson can be great, if given by a good instructor.

There are good and bad kite instructors, some with IKO license, and some without. The same goes for the IKO examiners. If you find a good examiner giving an ITC close to you i would say it is a great course where you will learn a lot of in depth details about kitesurfing in a short amount of time. As a bonus, you get a license that will open doors to work all over the world.

I manage 2 kite schools, and we do not hire instructors without IKO certification. That said, we are also reluctant on hiring an IKO licensed instructor without previous teaching experience, unless we organised the ITC and saw the progress of the instructor during the course.

the_gmo puts experience above education to some extent. I am inclined to agree with him, experience is really fundamental to become a great kite instructor. I would not, however, dismiss education. The combo of great experience topped with the collected knowledge of a good examiner is what will stand out.

I have said it before and i say it again. You can say what you will about IKO as a company, but if you solely look at their teaching standards they are really not that bad. A kite lesson, done according to the IKO standards, will be a safe and progressive lesson with a satisfied customer.

[ 7 posts ]