All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Unhooking a kite without needing to trim..which kites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

come on ... you ever see pros adjusting trim prior to hucking unhooked? no. the kite itself doesn't matter (although it is true some designs have actual flying characteristics that may be preferable for that kind of riding). how you choose to tune your gear for your session is not a flying characteristic of a kite. a lot of gear used to be "stock tuned" for inches of oversheeting in the kites normal wind range. that trend has been changing and now many kites come stock tuned without oversheeting built in.

the whole don't pull your bar in too far or you will stall the kite (because it is oversheeted) is/was stupid. I recommend to tune it so that all the way in is the right amount of max tension.

this is a contentious and subjective topic, some people certainly think that a few inches of what could be considered oversheeting is useful or preferable. tune your gear the way you want it.

it is also interesting to note that how much backline tension a kite can handle without being oversheeted changes with the wind strength. and probably not the way a lot of people think it does: the stronger the wind the more backline tension the kite can handle without stalling and the lighter the less.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

everybody seems to be right in this thread,

C kites and maybe a certain few bridled kites excel at continuing to fly forward when unhooked from normal trim. Many bridled kites especially of yesteryear don't handle it so well.

most average riders ride around with the sweet spot a little too far out the depower line to unhook and expect the kite no to stall. Its nice to have access to that over sheeted boost in power, but its typically unsustainable when the kite gets deep in the window.

The wind conditions definitely have a bearing on it. I usually have to trim in to avoid stall in the kites ultimate low end, or when riding in light winds on snow, but the same kite and bar can handle being fully powered and unhooked in moderate winds on water. When the wind is up I typically can't handle all that power and have to trim in a bit to unhook, but I also ride with that trim the whole session so its trim once and forget it.

Where the kite is in the window is also kinda important. Pretty much any kite, even the hardcore C's can be made to stall if you pop with them too deep in the window.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
come on ... you ever see pros adjusting trim prior to hucking unhooked? no.

That's because pros have their bars setup for unhooked, unlike most others who have their bars setup for hooked riding as that's what they do most of the time. I brought a kite off Jo Wilson the Naish pro rider and the CL was extremely short and the kite had to be ridden with the bar pulled right in all the time., basically no good for normal riding.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 pm 
Medium Poster

Starsky,

Are you saying to not pop when kite is deep in window? I thought that was one of the main points of how to unhook. I'm new to unhooking BTW.
Salvino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Sorry didn't mean to be confusing, but there is such a thing as too deep in the window. You do want to go downwind a bit to get the kite into the power zone for decent pop, but too deep and the kite will stall right after you land. Too deep is typically almost straight downwind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thank you everyone for your input.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2