All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Finding a very small leak in LE bladder
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Is there a pointy thing in the LE like a thorn or prickle re-puncturing the LE?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 pm 
Medium Poster

plummet wrote:
Is there a pointy thing in the LE like a thorn or prickle re-puncturing the LE?

Yeah, should I remove it? :P

If there was ("a pointy thing"), then the hole would be getting worse everytime I inflated the kite. It has to be a different hole from the one I fixed originally. One that is very small. The kite is still losing air, but no where near as much as it did before the first repair. I will remove the bladder again this weekend - in the meantime the kite is usable again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 am 
Medium Poster

Soapy bubbles 1.5 meters away from the first leak location you found & fixed - definitely a second leak, no way air would travel that far along the LE fabric before getting out through a stitching hole.

You didn't find this second leak likely because it's too small to show submersed in water, as the pressure from the water is enough to close up a pinhole in a bladder inflated to just the low pressure that a bladder-alone can take without bulging out and deforming. Use a film of soapy water over the suspect area, that will show tiny pinholes that won't show submerged.

Pinholes near the bladder tip are always harder to get to show, you have to pump the bladder up as close to bulging as possible to stretch it out and open up the tiny pinholes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am 
Medium Poster

For the record... I eventually found a very small hole in the bladder, very near where the soapy bubbles appeared on the outside of the leading edge. I marked the location on the LE with a permanent marker so that the ink would soak through and show on the bladder when I pulled it out.

With the bladder out and partially inflated I sprayed soapy water on and around the pen mark and found a hole so small I couldn't even see it without the soapy water. I could not hear nor feel the air escaping (I didn't try the "face test" that someone suggested though) but this tiny hole was the culprit. Feeling very pleased with myself!

Many thanks for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 am 
Rare Poster

Satisfying I had to do a bladder on a 14m took the bladder out 3 times in the end and fixed 14 pin holes in the end :o as said the 2 best methods was the face test and soapy water out of a spray bottle could not find them dunking it in the bath as they were tiny holes good job I bought a kite fix extra large patch :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 am 
Medium Poster

moist your lipps and put lipps close to the bladder. Works for very small holes when water does not work. Used few times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

Put the bladder back in the kite and locate the hole via soapy bubbles. Take a slightly thick needle and poke it through the LE and into the bladder. Every fiber of your being will be screaming "NOOOOooooo", but remain calm and do it anyway. Now pull the bladder back out and it will be easy to find the exact spot of the original leak because it will now have a big leak. Use a slightly large patch, maybe 3" round, so it covers the general area in case the bubbles traveled a little.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2