All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Any wave advice for the infrequent rider,
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 am 
Frequent Poster

Like many of the wave challenged, flat water riders, I dream of getting some real wave action, so on those rare occasions that I can get in some waves, I am too stupid not to go for it even though I really don't know what I am doing. The only thing I knew for sure going into this was stay away from the surfers, and keep the kite off the water at all costs.

On Tuesday I got to try some overhead waves in 20 to 30kts. I flew my 9m and at first tried to ride my surfboard strapless. I have been riding my surfboard on flat water and in chop and have been pretty consistent with my jibes. In the first 10 minutes of attempts, I realized that first of all, I should have put my straps on the board, and second, even with my straps, my jibes were much too slow to negotiate those waves.

Realizing that I was going to spend most of my time chasing the board, I went back in and got my twintip. I thought that might be difficult as well, but once I got the hang of pulling myself over some of the mush close to shore, I had a much easier time getting out and could maneuver much more accurately to keep from getting bashed. Man, that outbound run is some serious and scary fun. Facing the wave I think is going to kill me followed by a thrilling jump just by holding the kites position was a serious rush.

Running parallel to the waves on the way back in, I was so stoked to feel like I was actually riding the wave with a twintip, then jumping to toeside and doing a rolling transition down the wave face was just too fun.

I did eventually loose my board and got the pleasure of a serious body drag and thrashing, experiencing the disappointment of making it 2 feet from the board only to get pushed back by the next wave. Luckily I did the redneck gojoe and had an arm floaty on my handle, so eventually a wave flipped the board and the floaty did the sail thing and brought it to me.

I learned a lot of lessons in that session, and I am sure there is a lot of "no sh*t" things I have said here to the frequent wave riders, but what a great time.

Hopefully some of you will read this and have some advice for those of us who don't get to ride waves much but are going to go for it when we get the chance.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Any wave advice for the infrequent rider,
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

With or without straps in such conditions ...
...you need to master going from toeside to heelside in a split second...
...from heelside to toeside in a split second ...in total control

Practice being totally comfortable on your toeside going upwind ....and practice a lot of s-turns jibes

Practice all those turns without moving your feet by doing downloop turns once in a while

The idea is to avoid getting munched by a big set of whitewater or pitching wave on the way out

Learn to play chicken...turn before the wave....go back in...and try to go out again til you succeed

Send the kite hard first .... just a split second before cranking your turns with back foot loading

Doing jibes with foot switching in waves like that are best done on the outside away from craziness

Find what works best for you...jibe with foot switch before the carve or after the carve..both are ok

:cheers: :surf:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:52 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks Supa. Great tips. I definitely saw the need for speed on the jibes. I have been tap dancing too much and need to practice a much faster technique.

I also get that I had a problem with holding toeside upwind. Believe it or not, my problem more than riding toeside, was controlling the kite because I realized I am not good at flying the kite with one hand behind me. I will continue to work on that. It was good to see what I needed to work on to get better the next time.

Stupid question, but what are S turn jibes?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Continuous S turns jibes are mostly for practice purposes
Jibe without switching your feet from heelside to toeside to heelside to toeside and so on
You will do several S patterns in the process as you go slowly downwind
It is a great workout to get increased speed in the turns and find the perfect timing
Speed is generated with the proper sending of the kite right before the jibe
Work on never coming off a plane

Being good at jibing with foot switch is important...
.... but in the thick of the action in the big stuff not moving the feet in the jibes ...
....creates the best surfing feeling ever

Just keep it looking smooth and easy
I can be easily done strapped or not

:cheers: :surf:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 am 
Frequent Poster

Sounds like a good exercise to get where I need to be. I actually never thought about not moving my feet. :oops: Good stuff. Thank you. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

why jibe in the waves? just ride toeside until you need to get back upwind

as with anything in kiting the answer is to just ride more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If you are a novice rider my advice is to be very afraid of your kite lines! If you fall and a wave rolls you on them you can get badly cut or tangled and drown.

Wear a kayak type pfd and learn to fly the kite while in the washing cycle inside a wave. Or unleash the kite and be ready to ditch it in emergency (only of very few other kiters/swimmers etc. around...)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Dont jibe in front of a wave, but jibe outside.

If you KNOW you are not even close to ever make a jibe, and have no intention learning, you just deliberately let yourself fall backwards into the water, turn the board around, and ride in to ride waves.

The same goes on the "inside" - jump off, turn the board, and out again.

Dont ride toeside - you will lose upwind very fast, you will be tired on your rear leg, and you will not be able to cope with breaking waves at all :o

If you want to learn to jibe, just ride and do it just outside the break, and inside - where you try to jibe.

And if you know you ride "too little" to learn, just fall gently back into the water and turn the board - this will in fact be even better for upwind, than jibing :naughty:

Have known many "quite good" kitesurfers, that has done it this way for years, because they were not good at jibing, motorically. Worked excellent !

And also seen two who rode toeside instead, for years - what a joke that was :roll:
They did not go upwind, and they were tired after a very short time....
It was something mentally that blocked them from turning the board, or jibing.
Now they finally learned how stupid that was, and has an enjoyable time for much longer, in the waves :rollgrin:

Just JIBE, no matter if surfing around or turning the board by hand.

8) Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If its big. Go out on the board you are most comfortable with. Sounds of that its your TT.

Get comfortable in the bigger surf on your primary boardfirst. Yes you can still ride waves on a TT.

When you are comfortable at that size then think about taking out your secondary board.

Having the ability to boost over a wave at a moments notice is a good skill to have. Also a very fast direction change.

Once you realize you can boost over, outrun and ride the waves they become less scary. Sometimes bigger waves can be easier to ride than small waves. The shear pull of the suck back can pull the wave face clean, Gives you bigger patches of flat between the white wash to tee up your next move.

Have a plan of attack as to what you are going to do if you go down in the surf. Mine if keep the kite flying at all costs. loop it if neccessary to avoid it hitting the deck. Then try to relaunch if your have crashed it before the next wave. If the wave is big punch to safety before your kite gets torn to shreds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 am 
Frequent Poster

Sarc: Thanks. I do wear an impact vest that has floatation. I am not a novice rider, but am a novice in waves. I did experience the washing machine a few times but just kept the kite pulling up which gave me reference and kept it off the water.

Peter: I learned that being able to jibe in flat water is not the same as in waves. Probably just my excuse, but the wave interval seemed to close for my slow jibes. I now have a better idea of what I need to work on. I do want to be able to pull this off on a surfboard eventually, so I will keep at it.

Plummet: I was definitely more comfortable on the TT. The ability to transition quicker got me where I needed to be. I really had no idea how much fun the TT was going to be in the bigger waves. Had a blast, but need to keep working on the directional skills.

Thanks for all the good advice. Don't know when the next time I will be able to get in good waves again will be, but I will keep looking for it. 20 plus kts today in Nashville. Mucho Boosto, but no waves. :D

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next