All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Any wave advice for the infrequent rider,
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 pm 
Frequent Poster

I would like to add to Plummet's comments. Coming from a windsurfing wavesailing background I am enjoying a similar riding style but with a strapped surfboard. I want to surf and boost. Actually I learned kitesurfing on mutants and rode them for a long time (the old Naish models). But I prefer a surfboard for the riding feel especially on the wave and in carves.

Mastering the jibe is probably a bit more difficult than strapless because you have to fiddle with the straps.
But especially if you do not ride the surfboard that often it will give you more fun quicker because it is easier to control.
I think strapless looks great if somebody really good does it but it takes a lot of training to get to that level. I personally do not have that much time and I enjoy doing those tweaked Table Tops over a ramp just too much.
However, the wave TT/Mutant is good option as well especially in small waves. I rediscovered it for myself as I got a new TT to work on some aspects of my jumping before translating it onto the surfboard. But I still want to carve nicely in between and shred a small wave here and there. It is a Shinn Speedball, btw.

Last but not least, the old wavesailing advice. Going out, try to hit the wave at a 90 degree angle. So in onshore conditions gather speed, carve into the wind, put weight onto the tail and once you got over the wave go more downwind again. You can cross pretty big white water like that.

Post subject: Re: Any wave advice for the infrequent rider,
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

search shin speedball, Axis Twinwave, ocean rodeo mako 150.

3 very worthy wave TT/mutant options.

Search out vids of Franz Olry. He seems to be the man when it comes to TT wave riding.

https://vimeo.com/35258737

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3