*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:05 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Posts: 42
So I have been playing with Sony's new action cam (HDR-AS100V) for a few weeks now and am impressed. The video quality and image stabilization in 'pro' mode blow away anything I have seen with GoPro.

Anyway...I have a universal line mount for the camera but I really want to mount it on the strut of my kite. This camera as far as shape goes is no different than the past Sony action cams but I can't find a strut mount for them.

Has anyone rigged up something that works or does anyone know where I can find a strut mount for the sony camera?

Thx


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:51 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3586
Location: Japan
cam rig.com would be the place to start...

How's the fogging when in its case?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Posts: 42
Kamikuza wrote:
cam rig.com would be the place to start...

How's the fogging when in its case?


Camrig does not have a strut mount for this camera.

Regarding fogging...I don't know yet but the camera is gasketed and splash proof without the housing so for above the water / on the water use it might not even need the housing...we will see on that front as well...


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:28 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3586
Location: Japan
I looked up the IPX4 rating - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code#IPXX_Codings

The Contour ROAM seems to be IPX7 and people are saying, using it on a kite or kite lines is a recipe for disaster.

Stringy on here might be able to point you in the right direction if the fine folks at camrig can't...


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Posts: 42
Kamikuza wrote:
I looked up the IPX4 rating - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code#IPXX_Codings

The Contour ROAM seems to be IPX7 and people are saying, using it on a kite or kite lines is a recipe for disaster.

Stringy on here might be able to point you in the right direction if the fine folks at camrig can't...


Just to be clear, it does have several housings as well...

Also, I ordered the head mount for my Sony today as I think it can be adapted with hook and loop straps to mount to the strut instead of a head...I will post here if it works.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 482
I used my roam on a string mount for maybe 20-30 sessions. It went through the rinse cycle on some big wave days and no issues. Maybe just lucky!

Would be very interested to see footage from the Sony with the stabilization on.

This one make the stabilization look not so effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSm7OT4Uvs

and this one with kiteboarding looks a bit worse than gopro quality to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nozu9S2q8

to mount it on a strut maybe the sony headband mount would work?

woops your last post cam through as I was typing this :)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:15 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Posts: 42
ptraykovski wrote:
I used my roam on a string mount for maybe 20-30 sessions. It went through the rinse cycle on some big wave days and no issues. Maybe just lucky!

Would be very interested to see footage from the Sony with the stabilization on.

This one make the stabilization look not so effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSm7OT4Uvs

and this one with kiteboarding looks a bit worse than gopro quality to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nozu9S2q8

to mount it on a strut maybe the sony headband mount would work?

woops your last post cam through as I was typing this :)


I haven't watched those videos yet but I can say every resolution setting other than pro mode is worse than gopro....but in pro mode it is incredible...probably too much data to stream on the web...it occupies around 30gigs / hour in pro mode.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:31 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3586
Location: Japan
My experience with the ROAM has been good too, but I'm reporting what the pessimists have said ;)

Be nice to have a good alternative to Gopro… but greatly prefer caseless cameras. Hoping to see some pics from eek that other company.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Posts: 647
Location: Sweden
kooshball wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
I looked up the IPX4 rating - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code#IPXX_Codings

The Contour ROAM seems to be IPX7 and people are saying, using it on a kite or kite lines is a recipe for disaster.

Stringy on here might be able to point you in the right direction if the fine folks at camrig can't...


Just to be clear, it does have several housings as well...

Also, I ordered the head mount for my Sony today as I think it can be adapted with hook and loop straps to mount to the strut instead of a head...I will post here if it works.


I think you're on the right track with head mount. I work at Sony and ive shown the kite line mount to the people in digital imaging team in Tokyo and they were amazed such a thing existed. It just goes to show you how stuff is used in ways the creators never imagined. They did make a mount for you dog though..


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kite mount for new Sony action Cam??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Posts: 647
Location: Sweden
I have also discussed the fogging problem, that both go-pro and Sony suffer from, with engineers.
It is not that easy to solve without costing a lot of money.
Its super difficult to make a camera that on its own, takes 60 m static pressure. Housing is most effective way. Then dew-point and humidity become issue together with significant heat generated by camera.
We have some ideas, but its hard to show the value vs cost equation being a postive business case in a competitive market.

If we could make a housing thst is nearly fog proof, what would you pay for it, and would that drive your purchase decision?


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bille, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], experienced1, Google Feedfetcher, Starsky, troutuna, William Munney and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group