All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does a rash guard help?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:57 pm 
Medium Poster

Does it make it any warmer to wear a polyester rash guard under ones wetsuit? I'm not sure they do much of anything over ones wetsuit. I do find that my harness shifts easier if I'm wearing one.
I seem to be a bit chillier after it gets wet. Is that just my imagination?
Is it any better to wear anything under a wetsuit for added warmth?
I'm curious.
Phil

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Does a rash guard help?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Rash guards are used to avoid rashes, and some also stop UV... Doesn't help against heat loss. Use something wool for that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Common rash guards are made of thin polyester and nylon. They are designed to prevent surfers rash and to block sunshine but do nothing to keep you warm. Actually I find wearing just a rash guard colder than wearing nothing due to water evaporation.

You can buy thick shirts made of polar fleece (actually polyester) that feel soft and furry. These work great under your wetsuit to keep you warmer. Never wear cotton as it adds no warmth when it is wet.

:wink: CG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Chris is right - if you wear a rash guard outside your wetsuit, it will be colder.

I do it myself, but that is for safety only, so visible if you get "lost at sea".

Inside your suit it does not make any sense really, as the wetsuits (good ones) are designed so they have max warmth with the given small water or sweat layer inside...

8) Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

There is a vapor gap between the wetsuit and the skin. Without any clothing under the wetsuit this vapor gap is small, but with clothing you can increase the size of it and it will add effectively a millimeter or two. Polypropylene (your basic thermal underwear) is what I would suggest, I like a one piece otherwise your shirt or leg thermals will get bunched up that's uncomfortable. Hyperflex makes a range of clothing you can wear under the wetsuit for additional warmth but any decent polypropylene would work, like the underarmour stuff. Not sure how good a rash guard is under the wetsuit, sounds like it's not working for you. You notice a big difference with the right thermal layer under the wetsuit.

Wait did you mean "under" or "over" the wetsuit.

I always wear a rash guard over the wetsuit they are cheap and make your wetsuit last a lot longer but do make you colder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

These type of rash guards help for sure.

http://promotionwetsuits.mybigcommerce. ... black-j09/

http://promotionwetsuits.mybigcommerce. ... black-b26/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:49 pm 
Medium Poster

I wear a rash vest under my wetsuit, to stop neck rash from the wetsuit seal. Otherwise it looks like someone tried to strangle me :naughty:

For warmth you are way better wearing one of these over your wetsuit. Stops virtually all wind chill and makes a huge difference to how warm you feel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I got one of those neoprene jackets they are nuts! You can come in put on the jacket and instantly warm up, or take it off and cool down. Definitely a great part of the kit, spring hoodie, winter hoodie, spring gloves, winter gloves, neoprene boots, dive socks, a full wetsuit you can go from 32F up to 70F.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:27 pm 
Medium Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
Chris is right - if you wear a rash guard outside your wetsuit, it will be colder.

I do it myself, but that is for safety only, so visible if you get "lost at sea".

Inside your suit it does not make any sense really, as the wetsuits (good ones) are designed so they have max warmth with the given small water or sweat layer inside...

8) Peter

Thanks......... I agree that it feels colder.
Now.... Does that mean that if one wears BOARDSPORTS outside or inside ones wetsuit that it will actually feel colder?
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kitewise wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter

Thanks......... I agree that it feels colder.
Now.... Does that mean that if one wears BOARDSPORTS outside or inside ones wetsuit that it will actually feel colder?
Phil

I assume you mean boardshorts ?

And yes, it is colder than without of course :rollgrin:

I use shorts if using a seat harness, to protect my suit - otherwise never.
But most often using a lycra, to avoid suit wear from the waist harness, to get rid of the zipper leash, and for safety reasons - eventhough it is a bit colder.

8) Peter

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next