All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: stoked to finally make a proper heat seam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

As I have posted before I have tried probably a hundred times to get a decent seam with an iron over the years. This is a lot harder than it looks. Tried again and again, not hot enough, not enough pressure too much pressure not using a covering for my dowel, all sorts of things, but I think I finally got it.

I am stoked, so I made a video. I know others have different methods that work for them use those methods that's fine but this is the one that finally worked for me. I know some people just do it perfectly from the start, that's not me I had to try so many times before I got it right. For a long time I did not have enough heat on my iron, so I finally just set the iron to maximum and that worked. Now I don't have to borrow Doug's impulse sealer.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: stoked to finally make a proper heat seam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:28 pm 
Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
As I have posted before I have tried probably a hundred times to get a decent seam with an iron over the years. This is a lot harder than it looks. Tried again and again, not hot enough, not enough pressure too much pressure not using a covering for my dowel, all sorts of things, but I think I finally got it.

I am stoked, so I made a video. I know others have different methods that work for them use those methods that's fine but this is the one that finally worked for me. I know some people just do it perfectly from the start, that's not me I had to try so many times before I got it right. For a long time I did not have enough heat on my iron, so I finally just set the iron to maximum and that worked. Now I don't have to borrow Doug's impulse sealer.

Yeah brah stoked you ripped with that iron! Now you need to try cleaning your room!!!! :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

OK brah you are a ripper on the water too!!!!!!!!!! :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

So sick! :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No need to be mean.

Bille

Last edited by Bille on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Good tip. Surprisingly, I've never had a need to do anything like that yet (knock on wood). If I ever do though, good to know.
I just looked up Ford Lake, and was surprised to see that you are pretty close to the west coast. I was thinking over by Ann Arbor for some reason. Also surprised I haven't met you out by the big lake between Muskegon and Sable.
See you on the water sometime...

EDIT: now I know why I was thinking Ann Arbor, there's two Ford lakes.
Why do they do that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bain wrote:

See you on the water sometime...

EDIT: now I know why I was thinking Ann Arbor, there's two Ford lakes.
Why do they do that?

Bro I am SE, ypsilanti, but of course Muskegon is one of the best places to kite in the mitten, I love it there, cheap, great wind, and so many options and of course Mr Scrib's in case your body is low in oil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Nice video which should be helpful.

Let me suggest:
-you do not need the lower layer of wax paper, only the upper one
-parchment paper works a bit better than wax paper (both sold in baking goods area of grocery store)
-actually any paper will work if you can't get the right stuff
-pure cotton fabic may not be best around the dowel, I find polyester blend better because it has a definite weave pattern (many clothes like shirts are partly polyester)
- I found an iron heat setting well below maximum worked fine.. but experiment

:wink: CG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Hand-Impulse- ... d4a&_uhb=1

Only $36. And it works perfectly every time. I made a full set of bladders with one of these from tpu sheet. If you are into repairing kites then might be worth going for one.

Stan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bigdog wrote:

Only $36. And it works perfectly every time. I made a full set of bladders with one of these from tpu sheet. If you are into repairing kites then might be worth going for one.

Stan

No doubt. Is the 12 inch long enough? I was looking at these the other day and thought the 12 inch might be too small if you are making a full set of struts and bladders for a large kite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm 
Medium Poster

edt wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

Stan

Is the 12 inch long enough? .... the 12 inch might be too small if you are making a full set of struts and bladders for a large kite.

the fundamental problem with a hinged hot-wire bag sealer is the difference in pressure close to the hinge point versus far from the hinge point. Not a problem if blasting right through the film ( i.e. on an edge seam ) but if making a repair where you don't want the weld line to cut through the film ( i.e. patching ) then the longer the weld line length or length of the sealer arm used, the greater the difference in weld pressure and hence strength of the weld.

TPU film was designed for thermal lamination to fabrics ( nylons & polyesters ) to make them waterproof, and it melts very easily. Welding TPU film .003 - .005 inch thick to itself consistently without engineered process control is hit or miss. $36 gets you a timer on the hot wire, nothing more.

Not wanting to rain on your parade EDT, but prepare you for over or under welds next time you're welding kite bladders.

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next