Kiteboard size

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Kiteboard size

Postby keegster17 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Looking for a good board size for a beginner? I currently have a 138cm board, I see a 144cm one for sale at a good price, is this a good size for me? I am 172lbs, 5,8". I will be in winds not to crazy, 15 knots, what not so choppy most times. The board I am looking at is a Airush. At this point I have about 5 hours of lessons, and managed to get up on my board once for about ten seconds.

powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Style: wake
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboard size

Postby powerpersonified » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Still no replies huh??

Maybe more info needed....?

I would have to say at your level the other board is going to make very little difference if any at all since you still don't know how to kite. Maybe it would be better to learn with what you got and then spend your money on what you know you want at that point instead of asking a bunnch of people that you don't know and a fair number have alterior motives.

Do you think the new board is going to make you better? Also the width of each board would help too

What are the condition you ride in?

I learned in a very light wind area and a light wind specific board helped a lot.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 am

Check out how big 6cm is, it's practically nothing. Sure, the bigger the board is the easier it is in general to plane and ride upwind , but you probably won't notice for a while. Ride what you have and save the money for something that'll really matter in the future like a 2nd kite or something. At your weight 138cm is a great size so don't worry about not being on the proper size board.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

thanks guys for your thoughts.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 am

My everyday board is a 138. I agree its a great size.

I started on a 135 and struggled to the point I almost quit. But then a 147 flight deck became available which i picked up and was riding unidirectional and upwind the first session with it.

Larger boards are definitely easier to plane and ride, but ^ is right that the 6cm for the 144 is not a big enough difference. Length is not the only factor in a large board. Width and construction are important too. Ex the Flightdeck is a foam core which adds buoyancy and is 47cm wide which helps it plane. Larger boards are not as agile either, and dont do well in chop. I have a lightwind twintip I built 141x46 - foam core. Agile but buoyant and planes instantly due to width.

you would be better off saving to get a surfboard or freerace board thats larger as big twintips aren't great to ride anyways. Or a larger kite as stated above.

If you are having issues getting up, the most common mistake is not aiming the board downwind enough when starting. You jolt up onto the board going downwind and transition to edging (this happens during 1-2 second time frame, but longer when you're first starting up)

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 am

If you are at beginnings a big TT is WAY better than a surfboard. Why does everyone suggest a surfboard? It is bullshit. Once you can ride then sure...go for it. But don't say it is better in light wind and easier to learn on...hell no.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 am

What's the width difference ? That's the question that should be asked. If it's a 3 to 4cm difference over 6cm length then it makes a very big difference.

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 am

Bigger board, you can have a smaller kite. It helps for water start and edging in the beginning

To start doing tricks, I would go with a smaller board, if you can maintain the edge.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Bigdog wrote:If you are at beginnings a big TT is WAY better than a surfboard. Why does everyone suggest a surfboard? It is bullshit. Once you can ride then sure...go for it. But don't say it is better in light wind and easier to learn on...hell no.
I think you misunderstood my comment. I wasn't referring to learning on a surfboard. I was stating that instead of spending extra money now on a slightly larger tt, they can wait and later use that to purchase a surf or freerace to expand their wind range.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

well in terms of kites I have a 14m Slingshot and a 10m Cabrinha switchblade. I could see a board with buoyancy would help me, if I did go bigger any specific recommendations brand, size etc?

Return to “Kitesurfing”