All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: keeping bar attached to kite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 am 
Medium Poster

I've found that 90% of the time I fly one kite and I have two identical bars...

So how do those of you that don't detach pack your gear? I generally leave my struts inflated when I leave to either help.the kite dry and shake off sand before laying it out or if good consecutive days just pump leading edge. If the wind doesn't hold and the weather isn't wet I lay it out the next day and deflate, clean thoroughly, and repack.

Just looking for ideas or tips--I've always detached. Thanks.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: keeping bar attached to kite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You're overthinking it man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Somehow I agree with dyyylan here :roll:

That being said, I dont know what you are asking ?

If I leave the lines attached, I simply turn the kite on its back with lines facing rearward - deflate and roll the kite from the tips as usual.
Only difference when folding the kite in typically 3 or 4 (depending on size), is that I do it from the front end, instead of the TE end.

Roll the lines on the bar and store the assembly in the bag, thats it, no hocus pokus in this :naughty:

8) PF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:22 pm 
Medium Poster

Because I'm an engineer and I like to refine everything to a concise, effective, and hiccup-less process.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have usually detached the bar/lines, but lately I have been leaving my smallest bar attached to my smallest kite, since I use it for nothing else.
There is an advantage when it's really windy in that the lines will not blow around as much on the beach.
There is a disadvantage when your friend says "oh that's weird how does that work?" and picks up the bar, turning it over a few times and letting a few loops of kite line fall off it, creating a nappy line weave.
Leaving lines on can be helpful but you have to keep your brain engaged a bit more, less to do but more to think about it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm 
Medium Poster

Disconnect but attach line ends to a four slot comb before winding around bar. That way, when you are rigging you just reattach the lines, run out your bar, and you won't have to do any untangling. Viola.

OR....

Get a scoprega BST and have it inflate your kite while you run the lines normally. If you are fast, it will finish right when you do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rando1994 wrote:
Disconnect but attach line ends to a four slot comb before winding around bar. That way, when you are rigging you just reattach the lines, run out your bar, and you won't have to do any untangling. Viola.

A line minder is just more stuff. Easier to just lark's head the lines to themselves. If you do it right lines will be perfect.

to be honest tho I like walking out the lines even if I do this because there's always some crap at my launch, branches and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Similar technique to Peter
However i fold from TE to LE to get the air out easier out of dump valve
I use much larger kites than Peter being in Florida

Before you fold / roll kite (that is deflating on it's back in line with wind flow) from tips to center...
....wind your lines on bar and make sure you can clear the upwind wingtip walking around it with bar

In other words leave a fair amount of loose lines into the kite ( most people wound lines too much)

Just put down your bar 2 feet in front of center LE dump valve on the ground / beach

Go and toss all the loose kite lines into the kite's canopy

Roll and fold your kite as usual TE to LE or leave the struts inflated as you like to do

Leave the bar/lines 2 feet outside the kite (LE) so that way you can rinse or service your bar

To launch next time do all in reverse order

Pretty EZ ...been do it for 15 years...always had about 7 kites / 7 bars and never detach them

:surf: :sun:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 pm 
Rare Poster

Start doing it and you will find out by yourself all the tips and tricks that work better for you.
It's very easy. Even engineers can do it. (Just kidding, don't get mad.) :P

The only thing I can add is that after winding the lines, I put the bar inside its mesh bag to avoid hard parts on the bar rubbing against the kite fabric.

When I arrive home, I take the bar out of the bag (always attached to the kite) to rinse it and put it to dry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

t3rse wrote:
I've found that 90% of the time I fly one kite and I have two identical bars...
Just looking for ideas or tips--I've always detached. Thanks.

Here is 14 pages of ideas and tips....140 posts :wink:
From Nov 20th 2011...thread started by WildDuke

"Leaving lines attached when packing away"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2373312&hilit=leaving+lines+on

[ 10 posts ]