All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Switchblade 2014 vs Switchkites Nitro V3?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 pm 
Rare Poster

Has anyone tried both and wish to share how they compare?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Switchblade 2014 vs Switchkites Nitro V3?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:20 am 
Rare Poster

I'll see if I can get my friend to chime in who rides both, but his SB is 11m and Nitro3 is 8m so it may not be the best comparison. I have a 10m Nitro3 but to be honest I'm not quite good enough to compare the intricacies of the two kites. I do love my Nitro3 though...great wind range on the high and low end (15knots up to 45knot gusts (I'm 205#)) and it boosts to the moon if that's what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I played with 2014 SB 12m and Nitro3 14m this year.

No expert on the subtleties, but my standout impressions was the SB had more static grunt. Swear I could feel a little XB DNA in it… also the SB was a little more stable in the air - probably heavier - but the Nitro was an easy kite to fly and jump with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 am 
Rare Poster

Not sure if the Switchblade has more grunt but it is heavier on the bar and maybe this gave you the static grunt impression. I always try to compare upwind performance and correlate this to power. The Nitro3 flies far forward in the window and wins hands down in upwind performance. The bar pressure is lighter and the kite seems direct and nippy. Not sure if the Nitro is lighter in weight - I doubt it. The Switch guys go a bit overboard with reinforcements.
Anyhow, both kites are really good and you will be happy with either the SB or Nitro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kiwibayer wrote:
Not sure if the Switchblade has more grunt but it is heavier on the bar and maybe this gave you the static grunt impression. I always try to compare upwind performance and correlate this to power. The Nitro3 flies far forward in the window and wins hands down in upwind performance. The bar pressure is lighter and the kite seems direct and nippy. Not sure if the Nitro is lighter in weight - I doubt it. The Switch guys go a bit overboard with reinforcements.
Anyhow, both kites are really good and you will be happy with either the SB or Nitro

By static grunt, I meant sheet-in-and-go ability - felt somewhat like the XB, easy to just pull in the bar and ride away, building speed - rather than needing a bit of a working to get rolling. Realized I should have been more specific but typing on a damn iPhone is annoying and I didn't feel like redoing it...

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Nitro3 - in some ways, especially the bar, I preferred it to the SB. I think I'd be happy with either and I'd hate to have to choose :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just make it easy on yourself....
Switchkites offers you a 30 day return if the kite does not satify you, so you have nothing to loose...
http://switchkites.com/guarantee

But I am pretty sure you will keep it ! If you are used to Cab's

Cheers dude :cool2:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 am 
Rare Poster

Have gone from used Switchblade -09 to Element V1 to Element V2. Just want an easy to fly kite with good windrange. Due to a knee injury I have to take it easy. Not completely happy with the Elements, as I remember my Switchblade as more stable and better windrange.

Read somewhere that the Nitro3 and Switchblade 2014 is quite similar. Really like the concept of getting two kites for the price of one!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:32 pm 
Rare Poster

NHKitesurfer wrote:
I'll see if I can get my friend to chime in who rides both, but his SB is 11m and Nitro3 is 8m so it may not be the best comparison.

Have you heard what your friend thinks? Really need more input!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:48 pm 
Rare Poster

I have riden both 14m and 10m Nitro/Switchblades back to back. I like both alot, but none of the differences are significant enough to justify the price difference.

In February, I spent 2 weeks in Saint Lucia. While there, I rode my 14m Nitro3 back to back with my friend's brand new 2014 Switchblade in near perfect conditions. And in January, I rode my 10m Nitro3 back to back with a 2010 Switchblade, while snowkiting on the upper Mississippi. In both cases, I was very impressed with the long, consistant throw of the Switchblade. The Nitro3 has about a 12 inch long sweet spot, whereas the Switchblade has maybe 18 inches. I see this as the only positive for the Switchblade over the Nitro3, as it produces a very smooth ride. However, when ridden properly the Nitro3 can give you just as nice of a ride, with the added benefit of a quicker and more complete depower, when you need it.

The height and hang-time of both kites are awesome and essentially equal. Relaunch is easy. And the built quality of both are the best. The Switchblade has a larger LE diameter, which gives it solid stability, yet slightly slower turning. And there's no question that the Nitro3 points further upwind and will take you there in a hurry!

Other important differences maybe more personal. I don't like the Cabrinha's QR, because I think, reloading it in the water would be very, very difficult. (However, the need to do that should be rare, yet very important.) I also don't like any strap-systems. I much prefer a simple cleat, because it's position is accessible, adjustable, and provides greater range. I also prefer Switch's new single-line-safety bar system, over the larger diameter, spongy Cabinha bar. Both kites have the much needed large diameter, inflate/deflate valve...which is an absolute must for any kite in this day and age!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 am 
Medium Poster

sorry, no comparison to Switch kites... but I was riding Bests, Naishs, Norths, Slingshots, etc. and one of my most favorite kite I've ever ridden is the 2014 SB...

As it was mentioned, the "sheet and go ability" is just phenomenal... in 2014 it has lots of grunt, unlike 2013 and more than in 2012... The Switchblade developed from a wakestyle to a "freeride / do it all kite" over the years, since the Chaos took the wakestyle spot in their line-up... it is now competing with the Rally & Rebel... (which I also have in the 2014 version)

The German kite magazine measured lift and hangtime with GPS sensors: Switchblade came 2nd on the lift and was the winner on hangtime! Also, check some King of the Air 2014 Videos where you can see the local "Fourie" doing some insane stuff on the 2014 Switchblade...

Not bashing the Switch quality (since I have no experience with them), but this 2014 Cabrinha is as premium as it gets: the valve, the line, the bar, the material...

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next