All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chrono 15m kite review
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
[quote="Tone]

That whole vid is a terrible advert for a foil, the guy should not have been on it, he doesn't understand how it flies.[/quote]

So what did he do wrong to crash it?[/quote]

Pretty much what I thought too.... ok, the crash was understandable - not quite as much edging as with the other jumps and (from having only ever used LEI's) he seemed not to be quick enough to get some airflow back over the canpy !? , but after that.... it made me glad I had disregarded the Chrono !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 pm 
Medium Poster

It didn't look to me like he did anything wrong when the kite fell out of the sky. But it did seem like he just about made the relaunch work. If he had given a stronger pull on the center lines maybe it would have left the water. Then, when it flipped over, if he had immediately let go of the front lines and grabbed the back lines it probably would have reverse launched. I have only been using Flysurfer Speed 3's and recently a S4 for the past 3 years and my relaunches have been successful. Once recently, with the new S4 10 m, the wind went to zero for more than 5 minutes. The kite stayed filled with air and when a slight breeze returned I was able to relaunch without any difficulty. I was surprised. I've had these kites recover from some pretty weird twists. They're not perfect and I wouldn't use them to go way offshore, but they do have an effective relaunch. I'll be interested to hear more about the Chrono, both its advantages and disadvantages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

A couple of how to relaunch a foil videos.
I'm still curious about life with foils at the edge of marginal winds. Is there almost always warning signs and you can get back in before it dies completely, or do people stay close enough in when it is marginal wind? Is it always relaunch or swim, or is there ever a tow in with the kite on the surface situation?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have been flying the Chrono18 a lot recently in super light stuff and up to 16 knots. I fly SB, Edge and Lotus 12m. Here's what I know of these kites. In marginal winds yes the foils will flop out of the sky and had them bow tie or invert and unable to relaunch, but this was in wind that inflates couldn't fly in most cases. As soon as there is some constant pressure on the kite the only other way to have a problem is if you really over fly the kite in a jump. On the same note 2 days ago I saw 3 guys swim in on Inflatos as they dropped into the water due to no wind or a bad jump and 2 swam in while another floated downwind for about 10 minutes till some wind came. So lesson is if marginal stay close to shore. Also my chrono and Lotus filled with water. My Lotus was a friggen nightmare as it has this waterproof material and if water gets in it takes 5 days to get the kite dry inside. For me Chrono 18 Pluses outweigh the downside. Just know if there is a bad lull "Keep line tension" even if it means doing figure 8s in the power zone. On another note, the Lotus goes upwind much better than the Chrono and maybe downwind better too. Jumping on the Chrono is the best anyone has experienced. This is under 16 knots. Double to triple better than even FS. FS Lotus way less float and very sensitive to sheeting in. If over sheet you drop like a rock unlike the S3.

I like the Chrono 18 better than any other kite in general but as soon as it hits 14+ knots i'm in my inflatable. Prefer the safety of them and feel 100% comfortable dropping into the water attempting a new trick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

In three years I've had to swim in twice with the 21 when the light wind just up and died, completely... In the same week. No warning that I could see. No when it's that light I stay upwind if the beach so I don't have to paddle and drag it cross-current.

Pretty good record for the many, many hours it got me riding when my biggest LEIs wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks guys for the answers to my marginal wind foiling questions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:35 am 
Medium Poster

Hi. I own both Speeds 4 and a Chrono 18 that I use only for racing. The Speed 4 15 is the best foil I've ever had in terms of range and jumping abilities, not to mention the easy water relaunch even in marginal wind. Relaunching the Chrono in 5/6 knots is very, very difficult and sometimes impossible. The Chrono 18 is very fast and efficient upwind and downwind but for aerial tricks I've found the Speed 4 18 better and more agile in the flight window.
Cheers
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm 
Rare Poster

Well said Carlo, you are really one of the only peoples opinion I value, here having ridden both kites. Unlike most of the posters here, they have not a clue about foils and most simply speculate. I also have Speed 4 Lotus 12/15 m and those are killer kites, If I were a racer the Chrono is the kite I would want but for all round freestyle type kiting I would want that Flysurfer love and relaunch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tone wrote:
That whole vid is a terrible advert for a foil, the guy should not have been on it, he doesn't understand how it flies.
I agree, pilot error and no reason not to be able to relaunch the way he had it :thumb:

Here is how to relaunch the same year and the same size foil kite,
the video speaks for itself in less winds only 6 to 8 knots :jump:

DrLW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:31 am 
Rare Poster

ronnie wrote:
richardmbates wrote:
The expletives start about 2:30

DrLightWind wrote:
Tone wrote:
Here is how to relaunch the same year and the same size foil kite,
the video speaks for itself in less winds only 6 to 8 knots :jump:

The difference in both vids is that the guy in the second video stands on the ground. In this light winds it is really difficult to restart a foil and I doubt he would have been able to do so if he hadn't had the possibility to keep line tension due to the shallow water.

In 6-8 knots there is only one rule: DO NOT DROP THE KITE

[ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next