Okinawa Kiter wrote:
Hmm can't go wrong with either. Without being biased to either this is as close as I can explain it.
1) Chrono is like a ferrari. Need to treat it as such. It will rip you high. Bridles are a pain in the ass big time and you will be cursing at it the first severel times. Never fold the kite in half and role the kite up or you will be untangling for an hour next time. Roll each wing into centre with bridles rolling in the kite. Keep bar attached if you like then there is a velcro strap on the centre trailing edge to attach the lines to. Flysurfer wins in the bridle department for me. Not nearly as much of a pain.
2) My Lotus 12 didn't jump well at all but others swear it does. Still I had a Speed 3 12m and can say the Chrono jumps twice as high and 2-3 times longer down wind.
3) Upwind Flysurfer wins. If you ever flown a Peter Lynn Venom before it is more a C shape and for some reason the foils with this C shape rip upwind and the Lotus has a more C shape compared to the Chrono which sits flatter. Even though the Chrono is much higher aspect the Flysurfer went better upwind. The Chrono still rocketed up wind though just that the Lotus was crazy upwind.
4) turning speed. Hmm maybe FS might have the upper hand. Not sure haven't compared the same size. Both are good turning kites.
5) The Chrono has a fair bit better low end. Lotus a bit better top end. Hard to say if that Chrono could take 25+ knots. The airtime would be so friggen scary in that wind on a Chrono I am sure it would be something worth seeing.
Here is a short video of an Ozone Edge 15m jumping (which I think would be similar to a Lotus 15 I feel) Then the Chrono 18m. Both kiters weigh similar. 6-8 m/s (I know one is an 18m and can't compare but it gives you some idea)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pEb-oYXWo
So if you need lower end and big air Chrono. If you need higher end and ease of use and hate any bridle tangle then Lotus.
Both are good kites. I like the Chrono 18 for the light wind stuff as it adds a lot of new fun factor. Then in the higher winds either the FS or inflatables. I just need to figure out why my Lotus 12m is dropping me like a rock so I can enjoy it!
1) I roll the Chrono up like a roll my Flysurfers up, fold the wingtip over, tuck the bridle in and then roll the bar up from wingtip to centre. No real issues when unpacking. Just be very careful of the wing formers as you don't want to bend them too much.The 2 issues I had that took an hour in 1 case now made me want to choose rolling up tip to centre. If it doesn't give ya issues then no need.
2) I'd say the Chrono doesn't jump as high as the lotus but does keep you in the air longer.Not on the 18m Not even close to a S3 19 or s3 21 Maybe the bigger new Lotus are different so can't compare. I think the difference we have is in the wind we are jumping in and the size kite used. In the low end sure maybe not much difference but as soon as you are decently powered WOW! Up you go. Also timing the jump right makes a huge difference same wind but 10' higher. Just when you hit that sweet spot.
3)Chrono wind upwind by a clear mile. I don't understand how you can compare such a high AR kite against the Lotus for upwind.AR is not the main factor especially in a foil though a factor for sure. My Peter Lynn Venom ripped upwind like no other and less AR than both of these. A more C shape foil cuts up wind better than a flatter kite but combine the C shape and high AR and equals amazing upwind ability. The flatness of the Chrono seems to drag more, but the AR makes up for it mostly. I would have to do a test size for size to be 100%. Let's just agree to disagree.
4)Lotus is FAR faster than the chrono.OK. Far? Ya but can say the FS was a quick turner in the 12m.
5)The top end on the Flysurfer is better, the low end on the Chrono is outstanding. I'd love a go on the 18m.I had a 60kg guy on my 18m Chrono in 16 knots. It was his limit and holding on full depower. So think the range is bit like a comparable sized inflate. FS bigger range. Lowend on Chrono very good.
I have some vids that I should upload of some quite cool jumps on the 15m Chrono, downlooping out of the jump and covering some serious distance given the wind speed.. Will try and upload them tonight.Please. I'd love to try a 15 or 12m Chrono as well!