All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: North Kites 2012 bar plastic cap design flaw problem
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 am 
Medium Poster

NYKiter wrote:
I prefer the 2010 bar...no flimsy hollow casings, just solid rubber ends.

Sorry to burst your bubble but those bar ends aren't solid rubber...or solid plastic. You can't injection mold something with that sort of geometry and have it be solid without having unacceptable shrinkage.

ShaveTheWhales
I'd be interested to see you explain how the floaters coming off would cause a life or death situation. The lines are still attached and secure. Hell I've seen racers chop off the floaters completely on 2013 and 2014 trust bars.

Look I'm not trying to defend North (they already fixed the problem this year), but the zealotry of the KISS principle isn't always better.

It's pretty interesting how it broke so clean, and without stress marks. Definitely seems like a manufacturing defect, and would make sense that it has happened more on red ones seeing as usually the color additives/ fillers in plastics make them weaker.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:57 am 
Medium Poster

Its the priincipal that counts here and obviously gets abused by dopey kite Manufacturers and there so called expensive R&D teams...
The more we say 'ah she'll be right' the less effort theyll put into design.
Bash them enough and theyll sort their shit out - fair enough for $550+ or am i being unreasonable to think this ??

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 am 
Rare Poster

@Dan-at-North & NorCalNomad,

Yes, the red side broke and detached first. Then I opened up the black side and found that it was broken as well. I didn't mentioned that on both sides exact same scenario happens. One plastic piece fell off completely and the other also snapped but still attached.

I'm using glue as a temporary fix at the moment. I will kite later today to see if the glue hold up. I injected 3 sets of mixture epoxy inside the entire floater cap.

I'm currently living in Madagascar so it's very disappointed for me to have unreliable equipment. Getting anything here take months.

To North Kites' credit, they process my warranty claim very quickly and gave me the option to get the 2014 parts replacement. North said that the design has been improved in the 2014 model.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Perhaps not solid...but RUGGED...best bar I ever owned, hands down...
functional, rugged, slick, artistic (oh I forgot robust :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 pm 
Rare Poster

Had Rebels since 2007, only failures I've ever had have both been on the bar and not life threatening but simply annoying.....
1:the small rubber bungees that you use to secure lines on the bar ends came undone on the 2013...they appeared to have a crimped metal sleeve holding the two ends together inside the hole they go through in the bar end. Fixed by simply threading another pieces of bungee cord through and knotting into a loop!
2: Same issue with 2014 ...but noticed that North have gone to what seems to be an even more complicated system.......they now have two parts making up the little grip on the bungee that you grab hold of and secure the bungee inside them using some sort of plastic jam cleat thingy.......no more crimped sleeve in the bar.

On the face of it, its better.....but its overly complex for such a simple requirement and seems prone to failure.

As I say, not life threatening or all that serious.... but in a bar that is otherwise very well thought out its disappointing to see such low-grade engineering.

I guess we all think simple is best and the bars seem to have become overly 'fussy' and complex in these non critical but annoying-when-failing areas.....

KISS principle is a good one

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

Brin (and anyone else interested in those bar-end bungees)-
When I first saw the 2014 bar-end bungees I was just definitely more frustrated than you... It looked more complicated than ever and I was dreading my year of having to deal with this issue over and over. It's turned out to be a non-issue...

I guess we've decided that no matter how robust you make those bungees, there will always be someone who snaps them. Therefore, the 2014 bungees were designed not to be more robust, but to be more easily fixed/replaced. The little snaps that look complicated actually allow you to fix your bungees several times before you need to replace them. They're also backwards compatible, so if you need to replace the bungee on a 2013 bar, just order the 2014s and you can use them (over and over) on your older bar as well.

Once I was shown how to do it, I have to agree that it's actually really easy to use. A small flathead screwdriver and a pair of scissors will make the job easier, but you could probably improvise if you don't have them handy. In order to spread the word about how to replace those bungees we made a handy little Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F9saUOUNef-tyrCKZ6ktgpGFBBTYC-E6TfaDdproKWM/pub

We did not keep it stupid simple and in my opinion, once you see how it works, it's WAY better than our previous bungees and I actually think it's a pretty brilliant design (well done, Lou, and sorry I cursed you so vehemently before I realized how they work).

Hope that helps and let me know either way.

-Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:28 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Dan-at-North wrote:
When I first saw the 2014 bar-end bungees I was just definitely more frustrated than you... It looked more complicated than ever and I was dreading my year of having to deal with this issue over and over. It's turned out to be a non-issue...

I guess we've decided that no matter how robust you make those bungees, there will always be someone who snaps them. Therefore, the 2014 bungees were designed not to be more robust, but to be more easily fixed/replaced. The little snaps that look complicated actually allow you to fix your bungees several times before you need to replace them. They're also backwards compatible, so if you need to replace the bungee on a 2013 bar, just order the 2014s and you can use them (over and over) on your older bar as well.

Once I was shown how to do it, I have to agree that it's actually really easy to use. A small flathead screwdriver and a pair of scissors will make the job easier, but you could probably improvise if you don't have them handy. In order to spread the word about how to replace those bungees we made a handy little Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F9saUOUNef-tyrCKZ6ktgpGFBBTYC-E6TfaDdproKWM/pub

We did not keep it stupid simple and in my opinion, once you see how it works, it's WAY better than our previous bungees and I actually think it's a pretty brilliant design (well done, Lou, and sorry I cursed you so vehemently before I realized how they work).

-Dan

One of the bungees pulled out of the crimp on my 2013 bar like the second time I used it.
So I can replace these?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:16 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks Dan....I did in fact try to do that once I figured out how it all went together.....I had a heck of a time trying to get my fingers to do it all while stretching the bungee.,.....

anyway, now I'll have another go following your instructions....

Thanks for your practical advice as usual; as I said this is not a critical thing but it kinda contradicts the quality and well thought out design of the North Bar

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Bain wrote:
Dan-at-North wrote:

-Dan

One of the bungees pulled out of the crimp on my 2013 bar like the second time I used it.
So I can replace these?

Yeh the red side failed soon for me to...Just got a piece of bungee and tied a knot, works fine.

I'm not getting pissed at this small issue that's for sure. But while we are at it, try and get those plastic ends off without a small flat knife to change your back line length...Christ!! Keep thinking I'm gonna damage the damn things. So far so good,but I'm with save the whales, keep it simple. I got a 2008 north bar still cranking and simple to use. Got a 2011, no probs. I just think the new north bars have stuff at the bar end that just isn't necessary. Oh you can change your bar length while the kite is still in the sky! Yeh like who the fuck does that! Hey might try it next time in the air on a huge jump, see if I can get it back on before I hit the water...hang on that's probably coming with the 2015 bar!! :angryfire:

Oh and take a leaf out of ozone lines, far superior.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2