*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:06 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: The Gorge
lol, yeah viewing it over remote desktop is going to cut your framerate. that quality looks about right for 720p. i've actually started uploading everything to youtube now, your videos are more "visible" because there's actually a community and the quality appears to be higher. the biggest issue i had was using copyrighted songs not being playable, but that seems to be resolved for the most part now


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:36 pm
Posts: 211
dyyylan wrote:
lol, yeah viewing it over remote desktop is going to cut your framerate. that quality looks about right for 720p. i've actually started uploading everything to youtube now, your videos are more "visible" because there's actually a community and the quality appears to be higher. the biggest issue i had was using copyrighted songs not being playable, but that seems to be resolved for the most part now


Thanks for the comments, wasn't sure if I could get the quality any better than that, but I guess that's it.

I'll open a youtube account as well and post my current video and future videos there.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: MD
dyyylan wrote:
... the biggest issue i had was using copyrighted songs not being playable, but that seems to be resolved for the most part now

How is that resolved? That is the main reason I don't use YouTube...I'm always taking a cut off my playlist to use as the soundtrack, and Youtube would always block them. Heck, I don't mind if they'd just put an add at the bottom that says... "buy this song!"

With regards to the quality, I have got mine better over the years, but I have no idea how those ultra crisp Vimeo videos are created and hosted. If you listen to the Vimeo tips they have you keep the bit rate pretty small, but if I do that it looks like shit. I have to crank it up and the files get larger, but the quality is much better.

Regarding the OP's video...that session looks like a blast! Nice riding. I'm not sure which GoPro you are using but I suspect the source video was much crisper than that, so I see what you mean. I have been so frustrated trying to put together the best video, and then after compression I find I've lost all my clarity. I don't seem to lose much once it is uploaded to Vimeo any more but I have not yet found the happy medium between getting a very sharp output file and keeping the file size under a gig for a 3 minute video. The vimeo compression guidelines do not help. On your vid the crispest video is actually during the wreck at 2:57. The bubbles are sharp and the color contrast is great.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: The Gorge
CaptainArgh wrote:
dyyylan wrote:
... the biggest issue i had was using copyrighted songs not being playable, but that seems to be resolved for the most part now

How is that resolved? That is the main reason I don't use YouTube...I'm always taking a cut off my playlist to use as the soundtrack, and Youtube would always block them. Heck, I don't mind if they'd just put an add at the bottom that says... "buy this song!"


Just my own anecdotal experience. I used to get videos deleted or audio muted because of "copyright claims", but recently it just says it found matched copyrighted content, and my video will still be playable. Under the video there is a link to buy the song.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 am
Posts: 31
Very nice strapless surf skills. May I humbly comment on your editing. Move the camera a little further away from you, probably about a foot, and make sure you are using "wide". You want to see all of you including your.board As well as the wave. Not sure why you include the 1st minute of footage, not a lot of interest in watching you pump and launch your kite. In our age of short Attention spans, tldr-too long didn't read, you'll have more views if you just stick to the actual "action" shots. Keep your vids short, 1 minute max, this forces you to focus on quality- what is watchable.

Apologies if I sound harsh, not my intention. Love the camrig set-up, IMHO this is the best set-up for shooting kitesurf footage. Great for training purposes.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:36 pm
Posts: 211
@ CaptainArgh: I was using a GoPro Silver +, and yes the video is much clearer on the original video. The original of the underwater crash/bubble scene is actually incredible, you can see the bottom or the ocean so clearly.

@yojimbo: nothing like tough love, no offence taken. I'll try moving the camera further away from me to get a better perspective next time. However, the reason why I included the first minute of footage was because the film was for my friends and family that don't know what kiting is all about, so I wanted to show the kite and it's set up, how iit is launched, and landed. I even try and show some another kite in the background from time to time (only one other guy out that day).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Cascais, Portugal
I made a video to test my home-made harness mount and tried to post it on youtube and they blocked it for copyright reasons :angryfire: ! The soundtrack is from Curtis Mayfield and the guy died in 1999 for chrissakes! I allways credit the music in my videos in the hope that this will be enough, but apparently not for youtube, so I allways end up posting on Vimeo.

I compressed the video to 720p but it still looks a lot better in my PC than on Vimeo both in terms of colors and definition. Plus it looks like Vimeo drops frames in the compression:



Are there ways to get better quality or is it necessary to upgrade to + or pro?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: MD
Al_Kiter wrote:
I made a video to test my home-made harness mount and tried to post it on youtube and they blocked it for copyright reasons :angryfire: ! The soundtrack is from Curtis Mayfield and the guy died in 1999 for chrissakes! I allways credit the music in my videos in the hope that this will be enough, but apparently not for youtube....[/vimeo]

Are there ways to get better quality or is it necessary to upgrade to + or pro?

That sucks...based on prior responses I'd hoped YouTube had stopped doing that...

I usually upload 1080P videos to Vimeo, which they downgrade to 720P. Then you hit a button and they will repost it as a 1080P file (that may only be available to Plus accounts?). I don't know why they don't give multiple resolution options to the person viewing it like YouTube does. With Vimeo you get one HD option or one SD option. That's it.

I used to follow Vimeo's video guidelines and get a 3:30 minute video that was about 200MB in size. But even on my computer I'd see significant loss between this exported file and the raw video I'd view in FCPX before compression. So, I now export them with less compression, the videos are close to 1GB in size, but they look very good. I upload them to Vimeo, they give me a size warning suggestion ("this video seems large...") but it plays fine. Occasionally I'll get dropped frames or stutterred playback, but that is usually only temporary.

However, I have seen some crystal clear beautiful smooth HD content on Vimeo. It is usually uploaded by professionals and I'm guessing they pay for a higher quality streaming connection. ?

Let us know if you figure out something that works better for your video!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:39 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 5682
Location: Denmark
Long time years ago, vimeo was the first to allow "semi" HD free video uploads (1280 x 720).

So I used Vimeo for that, and it often matched the video cams back then.

Then all our cams got full HD, and YouTube were quick to react, and now you can freely upload full HD video to YouTube.
Just constrained that you can not upload more than 1 per day/week (or something), that is fair when you dont pay IMO.

So I've been using YouTube ever since, and dropped Vimeo because this lower resolution and low quality was not very usable anymore, IMO.

YouTube also has a compression that takes a lot of the "quality" indeed, but still way better than Vimeo :naughty:


Regarding the music, in our country (as I believe it can be country specific ?), you can use any song you dont own, but you will get a notification about this after upload where you can accept or make a claim, and viewers will get a small ad at the buttom of the video (you can just click away actually).

If you own the music, use free music, or dont use music, there will be no ads.

Once the automatic song reckognition system made a mistake, when I used a piece of free music - but I just wrote exactly where my source came from, and that it was a mistake - and it solved the issue so no ads !

With my rare use of video upload I dont see any reason to pay, so chose the best "free" solution possible, and find it really okay quality :thumb:
Still compressed somewhat of course, but okay.

8) Peter


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Massive image quality loss when posted to Vimeo
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Thanks Captain. I will try to post upload my next video in 1080P and less compression as you say and wait for Vimeo to compress it themselves.

@Peter: I do believe that the copyright issues with youtube must be country specific but their criteria to accept or reject certain songs is a total mystery to me. My kids upload videos to youtube with music that's still in the teen charts and I can't do it with music form the '80s :duh:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cornbread, robertc, spacemonkey, Wiski23 and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group