All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Naish Gun 2012
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:50 am 
Medium Poster

I have been looking for reviews on the 2012 Naish Gun, but cannot seem to find a lot of info. It also appears that this board is discontinued - was 2012 was the last edition?

I am after a board that will give me more control in big waves, when it is choppy and usually blowing 30 knots. I currently ride a 2012 Naish Global 6'1" in these conditions which gets a bit loose sometimes, mainly due to the speed and the chop. Does anyone have any experience with the Gun? Is it worth adding to my quiver? Or am I better off getting a 2013/14 Global - I realize that this is very different from the 2012 model that I currently have.

I have found a few Naish Gun reviews for previous years - was the board changed much from say 2009 to 2012?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Naish Gun 2012
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 am 
Medium Poster

Why not get a normal surf gun with heavier construction from a local shaper? Almost all the design features on a gun are designed to give you more control.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 am 
Medium Poster

NorCalNomad wrote:
Why not get a normal surf gun with heavier construction from a local shaper? Almost all the design features on a gun are designed to give you more control.

Yes, I would but a local shaper is going to cost me significantly more.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Its killer for exactly what you want. The last year it was made in all carbon.. It has a foam center. Super strong.
It turns slower with less snap than the global.. But you'll have as much control you'll ever have on a kite board.

My only complaint would be that the tail is so skinny you'd get some splash on the back foot if you are not in the strap... Which isn't a problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I've used mine in about triple overhead. Ultrachoppy.
It's also a great board for riding fast in windy conditions.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am 
Medium Poster

tr3v wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Yes, I would but a local shaper is going to cost me significantly more.

Really? :o Your local shaper would charge you $1.1K for a sturdy gun?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
Really? :o Your local shaper would charge you $1.1K for a sturdy gun?

Yes, really. More in fact. I was asking because I can get a relatively cheap Naish Gun (way cheaper than custom made) but was wondering why they aren't made anymore - e.g. are there known problems, or am I not going to get any huge benefit above the global or...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 am 
Medium Poster

tautologies wrote:
Its killer for exactly what you want. The last year it was made in all carbon.. It has a foam center. Super strong.
It turns slower with less snap than the global.. But you'll have as much control you'll ever have on a kite board.

My only complaint would be that the tail is so skinny you'd get some splash on the back foot if you are not in the strap... Which isn't a problem.

Awesome thanks - that's very encouraging. Is it noticeably more difficult to get upwind?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

[quote="tr3v"
Awesome thanks - that's very encouraging. Is it noticeably more difficult to get upwind?[/quote]

Well I don't think it is probelmatic going upwind. I do know given flat water and lightish winds it would be a bit more difficult, but in chop and high winds and big winds I think the added control makes up pretty well for the skinny outline and super thin pin tail. You'll notice but not that much. To me once you are on the wave...even high speeds feel controllable..even when you have waves on the wave.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

A great board, I used mine in double overheard and it tracks like no other board - super confident high speed bottom turns, that wouldn't be possible on anything else.

It goes upwind like a train and boosts really well due to all that speed & control.

I would imagine its no longer made, as there is a relatively small market for this type of thing :(

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next