All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to strap a surfboard
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Good thread :thumb:

I've used the NSI surface mount inserts a couple of times (http://xtremebigair.com/NSI-Surface-Mount-Footstrap-Inserts-P906.aspx ), where I had to test a new footstrap position, and it worked really great !

Extremely strong and lasted for the months used, but I would not "depend" on it in the long run :roll:
But I might be surprised :roll:

I am just a bit sceptical that you say you " keep going through them" about production boards I assume ?
So taking a surfboard might be low cost, but wont you go through these at a pace 10 times faster then ?

I would not use much effort on mounting plugs, if they (the boards) only last shortly - but maybe try the deckpads linked by NorCalNomad.
These deckpads with integrated footstraps look like they will hold even better than the NSI ones, although I dont know havent tried....
Although, not that inexpensive then ?
On the other hand, if it is easy for you to mount plugs, it could be the simple solution.

Regarding footstrap position, you might know, but for others:
Remember that the front strap should typically be mounted just slightly more aft than where your front foot is strapless, as you have more control and can go faster in chop both out and down the waves, and still maintain the same glide.
Just a hint :rollgrin:

8) PF

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for replying and for your questions. I probably should have been more specific. I mostly kite in the Columbia Gorge and travel for waves. I ride my strapless boards hard and throw anlot of air. I have never broken a board jumping and am happy to say that after 8 years of kiting, I usually can land my biggest boosts gently. I presently ride the SS Pit 5'6", which seems like the heavier more bomber type boards you speak of. With this board, I had a lot of problems keeping the straps from sliding in the tracks. Just after I got that solved, I hit a log which caused a small hole in the rail, which after several self repairs (could be my repair skills) still takes on some water. I guess I should have said that I just feel like kite specific strapped surf boards are expensive and by nature more delicate than a twin tip. So with that in mind, I just thought that buying a couple cheap used surfboards and going FlyFish's route might be cheaper in the long run. Maybe? Maybe not?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm 
Medium Poster

@Norcalnomad - Sorry. Just felt like the conversation was quickly headed toward negativity. I apologize if I came off too strong.

As far as the board durability question...
My 2 cents are that I have been strapping Polyester boards for 13 years. I've never had a production kite board, and I've never even had an epoxy board.
I have broken alot of board too. I don't know how many, but certainly I will buckle one here and there. I have fixed my own surfboards for a long time, so I'll repair them until they get heavy or break so bad I'm over it (depends on if it's a magic board or not). I really don't know why one will break and another will last years.
It seems that riding style might have alot to do with it?
I surf hard, and ride pretty heavy conditions but I don't jump with surfboards (twin tip if I want that). But I will say one way to buckle a board is to charge out through the waves too fast. Maybe it's that I typically ride pretty big waves, so I kinda pick my way out.
But I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have over the long run had good success going cheap poly.

One advantage of keeping it cheap also is that you don't care as much if you loose it either. I've never actually lost a board, but come super close plenty of times when it's heavy.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yes, sounds like a relatively inexpensive and fun thing to try. I'll give it a go and report back :)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

cheapest way is going strapless!!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

SpaceRacer wrote:
Yes, sounds like a relatively inexpensive and fun thing to try. I'll give it a go and report back :)

If you have the choice, go for epoxy boards, as the strength and dent resistance is far superior, and mounting plugs will be way easier/stronger too :thumb:

On the other hand, if you can get polyester boards for "almost nothing" locally, that is also a way to go, and just get a new one when wasted :naughty:

8) Peter

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2