All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12m - 13m size dilemma for waves
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm 
Medium Poster

Sounds like it might just be the gusts that are a problem. Maybe a bar with a longer throw is all you need?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

cleepa wrote:
Sounds like it might just be the gusts that are a problem. Maybe a bar with a longer throw is all you need?

That wont help, if you got a kite that sits deeper with more grunt :(

But for bigger kites, a longer throw to use the full range is usually needed, that is true :thumb:

8) PF

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:55 pm 
Medium Poster

Very good topic. I think this is a common problem for many.
So these are my 2c.
I think that the most important thinkpf is having kite with a very long depower throw and effective.
I give you two examples. Both the North Rebel and the Naish Park have a pretty lomg depower throw in the bar. However pushing the bar away from the rider by 1inch has a much bigger impact on the Naish than the Rebel. That makes the Park the #1 kite by far for wave riding. Not to mention that a 12m Park is twice as fast as the 12m Rebel.
The Rebel looks a tad more solid in the sky but it's slow and doesn't depower as well as the Park.

I used quite a bit the RRD Religion as well and I am very disappointed. The kite is slow, doesn't depower well and way too many times I lost the wave sweet spot because I couldn't depower it fast enough. Definitely not a contender from park and dice.

I heard good things about the Dice but it has heavier bar pressure than the Park and low end is worse. Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 pm 
Medium Poster

SonnyRider wrote:
Airush Wave 9m would be the tool for your demands

It is a wave kite, that is also a good freeride kite, so you can boost as much as you desire or you can ride it down the line with good drift

Awesome kite, get a demo. Then you will understand :thumb:

A 12n Rally was not the right kite in those conditions IMHO

Another kite for you to try is the 2014 12m Wave. But I think you will find a 9m Wave will work very well for you

The Airush WAVE 12M is one of the fastest 12M kite on the market.
try it :thumb:
The WAVE 9M is a great kite and of course more fast than the 12M but the low end of the 9M is on the 15 to 16 knots range.....

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
Understand your dilemma fully.

I use an 11m2 kite for light wind waveriding (and earlier also a 13m2 but have dropped that one now).

Using a high depower fast turning kite (a wavekite) for this.

(Fortunately these kites also work excellent for hydrofoilboarding, except for marginal winds, but that is another topic)

If the wind is steady and waves small, I sometimes used a non-depower powerful 10m2 instead, but has dropped this one too now, and use the 11m2 instead as it covers so much more :thumb:

Takoon Furia is my choice, and have been ever since the first one came years ago (now it is 5th generation Furia).

Turns really fast, has huge depower and range, and can be controlled with one hand if you like - and this is what it is all about :naughty:

Of course, I use to say "In light wind does the kite almost not matter at all and everything works for waveriding". Still true.

But if bigger waves (=more apparent wind) or gusty/changing wind, a real wavekite (high depower gust absorbing fast turning) works much better also in big sizes IMO.

Not used as much as the smaller kites (a 7m2 is typical for waveriding for me at 77kg), but sometimes it is great when the conditions are there, and a 9 just wont make it :rollgrin:

I simply hate low end delta like kites that pulls a lot and sits deep, for waveriding, but that is me I know.
If you are heavy, these kites works better, but when light or medium, I find these a no no :o

8) Peter

Excellent points peter..have found exactly the same regarding the aspects you brought up and yes I to share you less than enthusiastic like for low end delta kites. But as you say each to their own.

Speaking of each to their own, I found the naish park to be an average wave kite comparatively. Better of course than a higher aspect rebel, nitro etc but compared to say the wave and the dice, it doesn't compare. the C arc is a little too flat in profile (which gives it great boosting potential for a 3 strutter) but it needs to be moved a lot in the surf, doesn't drift nearly as well...kind of like the bandit in some respects. Their are kites that work in the surf, and their are kites that WORK when the surf gets critical and the game is really on!! So it all depends.

Again for a 12m the wave is the best I've come across by far, but never tried peters kite above.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 am 
Medium Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
I simply hate low end delta like kites that pulls a lot and sits deep, for waveriding, but that is me I know.
If you are heavy, these kites works better, but when light or medium, I find these a no no :o

8) Peter

I'm a 'heavy' guy @ 95kgs (sometimes a couple more, sometimes a couple less :oops: )
And I completely agree with the delta style. Works for some. Definitely not for me.

There have been times I've been on my 9m Wave riding TT and guy that is similar in weight on his 10m Bandit riding a 6' SB. To me, that would not have been fun :-?

I use a long throw comp stick bar with 20m lines for higher winds = gusty conditions at my local spot. Otherwise I'm on a standard Ozone bar.
The shorter line and long throw make for a much nicer experience in gusty shifty winds in my limited experience :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm 
Frequent Poster

without disregarding what others have written here about big kites for wave riding (to each his own) my personal experience is that they SUCK! Sure you can make a 12m kite or even bigger to function well enough and drift to allow you to surf some waves, but honestly it's not that much fun.

If that twin keel fish you have doesn't cut it for those low wind days, my advice is to get an even BIGGER board (bigger meaning wider and with more volume). I weigh 77kg and I can have fun with a FW Sweet Potato 5'4'' and a 9m kite on 11knot days especially if the waves are below 3 feet (if the wind is light and the waves are bigger i prefer to forget kiting altogether and go surfing).

Try any big kite before you buy, but try also a bigger board before you commit to a new kite.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh I have to agree, 9m or below is always preferable, hey another no one has mentioned is the BWS pro, that's a nippy kite and a very very good surf kite. But hey you can always adjust on a 12 a park and ride a little more, just have to adjust...which a bigger board helps with to. Good points.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 am 
Medium Poster

Al_Kiter wrote:
without disregarding what others have written here about big kites for wave riding (to each his own) my personal experience is that they SUCK! Sure you can make a 12m kite or even bigger to function well enough and drift to allow you to surf some waves, but honestly it's not that much fun.

If that twin keel fish you have doesn't cut it for those low wind days, my advice is to get an even BIGGER board (bigger meaning wider and with more volume). I weigh 77kg and I can have fun with a FW Sweet Potato 5'4'' and a 9m kite on 11knot days especially if the waves are below 3 feet (if the wind is light and the waves are bigger i prefer to forget kiting altogether and go surfing).

Try any big kite before you buy, but try also a bigger board before you commit to a new kite.

They might well suck, to you. But being told from a person that weighs in 30kgs lighter that we do not need them really boils my piss :angryfire:

WTF would you know? :argue:
Maybe you need to put on a fat suit give kiting a try, then come back and tell us heavy weights we still have no need for a 12 :roll:

I'm pretty light on my feet, but trust me, there are times when we need a 12m

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:47 am 
Frequent Poster

SonnyRider wrote:
They might well suck, to you. But being told from a person that weighs in 30kgs lighter that we do not need them really boils my piss :angryfire:

WTF would you know? :argue:

Cool it man! :D I was replying to the original poster (the one that wrote he weighs 75kg).

But, by the way, I read something about you using a TT with your 9m, so before you trash other people's comments, have YOU tried using a high volume board for light wind waveriding?

In your case I would go for something over 22'' wide and over 40 liters. Perhaps you too will find that it's way more fun than a TT and a 12m kite.

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next