All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: 12m - 13m size dilemma for waves
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:52 pm 
Medium Poster

windsuks wrote:
Yeh it was shame it wasn't ready last September but they are not released every year to a given date..hence the 4G etc

Surely 99% is a strong bond?

No probs. though and certainly do hope to catch you on the water soon. :thumb:

ps I'm aware your not in the market anymore for a 12m but thought you may be interested in trying the Surf for comparison anyway.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/allegiance
I think is too strong word describing our choosing of brand
I would think http://www.thefreedictionary.com/affinity? would be a better description :cool2:

Will prod you for a go on the 12 when I'm your side of the 'river' for sure
but
a) we need some wind, or little of :)
b) need water as well
Both at the same time would be better :D

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
Hi Mark,

Hopefully you know I'll give good advice and I saw your other post about the Epic wave kite, but didn't want to jump that thread.

2 things.

1) I love Slingshot kites, and the 2012 Rally is still the best wave kite I've been on. 2014 is good, but it will pull you off the board at times especially if riding strapless. I really really hope SS comes out with a wave kite and make it a tuned up 2012 Rally. I have a lot of riders who love the 2012's and if SS doesn't address this, we will have to look at other options soon since the kites are getting used a lot.

As a dealer, I still have a full quiver from 6m to 12m and will hold on to them until they die. Or until I get on a better wave kite or just as good.

2) If you are not in a hurry, wait and try the new Skinny Boy by Blade. It comes in the correct sizes, so there's no big gap. 6m, 8m, 9m, 10m, and 12m. I have a nearing suspicion this is going to be an awesome kite for waves. Once they are out, I'll send you one to try for evaluation. Release should be soon.

High depower....great drift....fast turning...pivot turning.

Let me know and I'll put you on a list for trying the demo once they come out.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yeh Bob - totally agree. Even though the 2014 is called Slingshot wave/freeride kite it is not as good at wave as 2012. The feeling is more of heft and slower turning. Yeh part of that is that SS added more SQ m to the same size kite and the turning style was changed in 2013 to a more "freeride" style. Honestly the 2014 12m Rally could be considered one of the great air and hangtime kites IMO. And in smaller sizes the 2014's are still decent in waves.

But to find that really good large size wave kite is the dilemma. The Blade Skinny Boy has great promise as does the Epic Surf. I think this is the new "niche" in a kite model. A large kite that excels in waves. We get pretty good waves in Lake Ontario in a 15 mph onshore wind. So now an even newer niche is: What kite can favor onshore or side onshore wind/wave conditions?

Yeh thanks for your offer and would love a test of the Blade Skinny Boy!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
Mark....let's keep in touch for when the Skinny Boys are released. I also wish someone would actually make a 14m. I rode the 14m Rally 2012 a lot with surf boards in the right conditions and it's a perfect size for bigger guys.

Later,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:12 pm 
Frequent Poster

markchatwin wrote:
I've been trying to find kites to consider for the lighter wind waves/rollers we get up here in Upstate NY. For starters I'm 75kg (165 lbs) and like to ride strapless 5'11" as well as a strapped 5'6" North Whip for jumping/wave hopping. Yesterday I felt like I had the wrong kite for the 13-15mph side on conditions - also many 20-23 mph gusts thrown in there. It was my 2014 12m Slingshot Rally.

There was so much grunt in that kite (even depowered) for the higher gusts that I could not keep it low in the sky safely. I'd pick up so much board speed that I'd bail out. My most nirvana day for that kite was a steady 15mph day last Fall where the Rally 12m just zoned in on "park and ride" style wave riding and really smooth big hang time jumps on the way out.

But it is a slower kite with big pull - i.e. - has a "heavy feel". I wonder what kites out there I should consider that are more performance orientated and can handle the gusts? But drift as well as a big kite can, turn fast, etc...

Kites I'm thinking about are:
1. Epic Surf Kite 12m - looks like it is designed for these conditions save for the jumping
2. North Dice 12m-13m - may jump better than Epic Surf kite but not pivot turn

Anyone find a good kite for the conditions above?

Just so I understand, are you riding on one of the lakes? how big is the surf? Knee high? Waist high? Chest head? Bigger? Are you piecing together multiple peaks, or getting one good bootom turn and a cutback?

If the wind is that gusty (avg 13mph gusts to over 20), and you want to park your kite and either jump heading out or surf heading in, then you might not consider a surfing kite. We have the Drifter, which is the simply amazing in surf, but it sounds like maybe you don't need a fast moving kite. At your weight, you shouldn't need anything bigger than a good 11m or 12m if you are riding a surfboard in 12-13. If you are really looking at park and rider, then you should consider the Switchblade. Simply put, it is uber stable for the gusty conditions, has a big wind range, and tons of low end. At 190 lbs, I would probably rider a 12m SB in those conditions or maybe even try to squeek out the 11m. It seems the 11m could be a great choice for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi Cabdriver - 13-22mph is not as common a day as 13-15mph. So in the heavier winds the 12m Rally (which honestly is a 13m) can bite me at 165 lbs. It's got that strong Delta pull. I have a fair amount of experience on the 2012 SwitchBlade in various sizes and though I love that kite for free riding and jumping (and park and ride as you say) I find it flies too forward in the window. Quite frankly the Rally can give that SwitchBlade a run for it's money for park and ride and jumping/hangtime. Both are great kites.

Waves here at Oneida Lake in 13-15mph can be breaking 2 footers and more upwind can be 3 foot rollers that you can ride back in on and really have fun. If the roller is small and passes under you a fast kite can help you generate power to get back to it or maybe find another one. Or to get back out upwind. Yes I like to jump on the way out but find myself strapless a lot so small waves and rollers are the norm... On big days the rollers can be 8ft with 3-4 foot breakers.

The Rally 12m is slow. I can't redirect it quickly enough. I know the pull of the 11m SB and I agree that might be a contender since it turns fairly well. But somehow I think a kite that sits back in the window and turns quickly is the call. Does the Drifter do that? I know some guys out at Big Winds that love the Drifter... Does it work in the bigger sizes? Is it nimble?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Has anyone considered the new neo. You would get away with a 10m with the power close to a 12m. Could be worth putting on the list.

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4