All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Beginners Tips & Advice ?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was not talking about getting "up" immediately on the downstroke.

But if your downstroke lets you waterstart - then one or two more strokes and you are up and flying :naughty:

As said, this and everything else on a hydrofoil works way better with a kite that "runs" and does not work with a kite fully powered on the trim IMO :roll:

When you have a bit more experience, you can easily get up foiling on the very first downstroke :thumb:

One thing that might help you: Longer lines !

Especially in light wind, but also in more wind while learning.

With longer lines, just 5 to 10m extensions, you will have a huge amount of power on your downstroke even with a depowered kite, but even more important, the power lasts much longer so you can c oncentrate on getting up foiling :D

The huge advantage is, that you don't get more power when the kite is parked (compared to normal short lines), so no more long arms and a win win :rollgrin:

Furthermore, in marginal wind, you can save yourself from a long swim if the kite is about to drop to one side, by looping it.
Not possible with bigger kites on normal lines 20-23m :(

8) PF

Post subject: Re: Beginners Tips & Advice ?
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Good point Peter - I have been using 24m lines and have no problem getting on the foil - I have even started foiling on a short stroke getting the kite to 12 o'clock, before diving the kite properly!

I have been trying a slow approach, getting on the board and gradually, then increasing speed to get foiling - as Peter says - Max depower is the way forward - I have been using all kites with the depower on the stopper/limit, that has given me more torque to get up on the foil and once up I am sheeting out.. with time I may even stay there :D

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2