All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sliding Bar - remove the hook?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:01 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks, guys, this is interesting stuff. Good idea to skip the clips for getting more travel. :thumb:

Also, the insights regarding the torsional moment was not intuitive for me (without having tried the solution myself).

Initially, I would have thought that, by attaching the line above the bar, there should be little torsional moment... did you try to feed the line like this?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 am 
Frequent Poster

Just thinking about it:

If I need to get a new spreader bar, I could as well buy the DK sliding bar (12inch)

Does anybody have first hand experience with the 2014 model? How does it compare, performance wise, to the dyi solution with dyneema rope and ring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:38 am 
Frequent Poster

First, I cut the hook off a standard $20 Dakine spreader bar.
Tied on a piece of chicken loop line and added a 1 inch stainless ring.
No hook, so just open the chicken loop and thread it thru the ring.
The rope tied thru the spreader bar end makes the power clip harder to lock in.
I may drill holes in each end of the bar to attach the line.
Highly recommended. $3

Now I have the 2014 Dakine Maniac sliding bar.
Its trouble free, smooth, and comfortable.
You don't know you are using it,
except the hook slides to the side and helps your body alignment.
Highly recommended. $60.

Some day I may buy the Dynabar.
It has many sophisticated options.
But I am a wave rider that would just use the basic rope and ring setup.
Well made and engineered. $140

Take your pick....... I like all better than a fixed hook. WW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 am 
Medium Poster

I ride pretty much only in the surf. I highly recommend a sliding spreader. I started out by using a standard spreader, hacking off the hook and attaching dyneema. This is an ok first start. But you have to be careful about attaching the dyneema, as you do not want pull on the sliding spreader to make the spreader twist. This is uncomfy and will make the straps on your harness wear fast.

I then switched to a 13 inch jay v8. I took everything off, leaving just the plate with the slider rope. This setup won't twist. It also has a release mechanism on the harness - very nice.

Seeing as you are doing all this, you might consider going all the way and making a pure wave riding bar, too. So, ditch the chicken loop and the depower system and massively expand the throw of your bar. For me, the sliding spreader was nice, but the bar with huge throw and no depower is far far more useful. Here's why:
- simple. Less stuff tumbling around you and getting tangled if you go down in a wave.
- more throw lets you kill more kite power so you don't get pulled off the wave. This is really useful when making the kite whip across the window and also when riding upwind on a wave.
- no depower means that the kite will always turn at the same speed when fully sheeted in. If you depower, the kite will turn slower. Not what you want.
- another advantage of this setup is a single release point to cut away the kite. If your kite gets tumbled by a wave, it's going to be better for you and the kite to fully release it.

The no depower setup takes a little getting used to. But combine that with a high depower kite and you'll never want to go back. I can't ever see myself switching away from this setup. For waves, I don't think you can beat it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

cleepa wrote:
I ride pretty much only in the surf. I highly recommend a sliding spreader. I started out by using a standard spreader, hacking off the hook and attaching dyneema. This is an ok first start. But you have to be careful about attaching the dyneema, as you do not want pull on the sliding spreader to make the spreader twist. This is uncomfy and will make the straps on your harness wear fast.

I then switched to a 13 inch jay v8. I took everything off, leaving just the plate with the slider rope. This setup won't twist. It also has a release mechanism on the harness - very nice.

Seeing as you are doing all this, you might consider going all the way and making a pure wave riding bar, too. So, ditch the chicken loop and the depower system and massively expand the throw of your bar. For me, the sliding spreader was nice, but the bar with huge throw and no depower is far far more useful. Here's why:
- simple. Less stuff tumbling around you and getting tangled if you go down in a wave.
- more throw lets you kill more kite power so you don't get pulled off the wave. This is really useful when making the kite whip across the window and also when riding upwind on a wave.
- no depower means that the kite will always turn at the same speed when fully sheeted in. If you depower, the kite will turn slower. Not what you want.
- another advantage of this setup is a single release point to cut away the kite. If your kite gets tumbled by a wave, it's going to be better for you and the kite to fully release it.

The no depower setup takes a little getting used to. But combine that with a high depower kite and you'll never want to go back. I can't ever see myself switching away from this setup. For waves, I don't think you can beat it.

Hi Cleepa,

If you are releasing the kite, do you always release the end of the slider rope?

What do you use to slide on the rope?

Have you compared the slide system to having the kite connected at a single point in the centre of the V8?

Another release method.

Attachments:
QRopen.jpg
QRopen.jpg [ 454.42 KIB | Viewed 298 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am 
Medium Poster

ronnie wrote:
Hi Cleepa,

If you are releasing the kite, do you always release the end of the slider rope?

Have you compared the slide system to having the kite connected at a single point in the centre of the V8?

I haven't had to release on this setup yet. But yes, I plan to use the release on the spreader bar.

To slide on the rope, I use a stainless steel metal ring. I think it came with the Jay bar. I'd like to find a pulley to reduce wear on the slider rope, though.

I haven't compared to connecting to a single point on the Jay bar. I'm not really interested, to be honest - I really like the sliding spreader.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

cleepa wrote:
ronnie wrote:
Hi Cleepa,

I haven't had to release on this setup yet. But yes, I plan to use the release on the spreader bar.

To slide on the rope, I use a stainless steel metal ring. I think it came with the Jay bar. I'd like to find a pulley to reduce wear on the slider rope, though.

I haven't compared to connecting to a single point on the Jay bar. I'm not really interested, to be honest - I really like the sliding spreader.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Have you tried this?
http://boardridingmaui.com/uploads/3/1/ ... 0_orig.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:12 pm 
Medium Poster

No, I haven't. A friend uses one of those. If I can't find a suitable pulley, I'll be using one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Attachment:
slidcara.JPG
slidcara.JPG [ 500.74 KIB | Viewed 161 times ]

Easy in, easy out, climbing speced inox.
Flared sliding ring for very little spectra wear.
Carabiner big enough to pass quick released c loop fast if needed.
R H

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Better lock the gate!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343596

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next