All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naish Big Kite Question?
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:29 pm 
Rare Poster

Good Day,
14M Bolt has been my light wind kite for a few years now, and it turns quite fast, but it is heavy w/ 5 Struts….Its got a few tears & repairs, and Im wondering if I should scoop up a second generation FLy currently on sale.. or should I hold out and simply replace w a 14M Ride? Both are two Struts, and Light…And I think my other smaller rides are some of the best kites I have flown & owned. That said, I owned a 14 Park for a few sessions and thought it was horribly slow…immediately sold it. Naish references PArk like qualities in the FLY? I have concerns about the Fly pulling downwind… more so than a Ride 14M….Is that really corrected in Gen2? I weigh 165, and summer winds are typically light here, so the 14 or 15 is my go to. Anyone ridden a 14m Ride & 15M Fly Gen2? Any thoughts appreciated. TIA.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Naish Big Kite Question?
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi!

I havent tried any other Naish Kite but the Drafts.

I must say it is an amazing light wind kite for me (90+ kg)

I fly 12, 14 and 17 m2.

The amount of pull it has is really amazing, lots of depower.

The 17 gets me going in 8 knots on snow, 10 knots on water.
And you can jump it in light winds!

The only downside it has, you should use it with a LWR (Light Wind Relaunch) line, as that adds so much more comfort with relaunching.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Either will work well. If you are looking for a kite more like the bolt is say the ride. It is quite a bit faster than the bolt IMO.

The fly will be a lot more powerful. I think the fly is fast for the power it delivers. It depend a bit on what you want to use it for.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Update. I re-read you post. I think the ride 14 is a better kite for you because it is light, fast and powerful.....it might not be as powerful as the fly, but it seems you are pretty light so I think the Ride will be better. I don't think the fly pulls more down wind, but it might feel that way because it is so powerful. I think the park like qualities is more how it jumps and sit when you jump.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 am 
Rare Poster

I was in almost the exact same boat you are. I fly parks and was looking for a light wind option as well, ( bigger than my 12) and ended up scooping up a second gen fly. I havent ridden a ride but i flew cults before the parks. I can say that so far I am very happy. I feel asthough my parks turn very quick. This feels similar to the park but slower turning obviously and tons of power. Big floaty jumps,very solid in the sky. It just sits... Down loops just like the park. It does not upwind as well as my 12, but I've only had two sessions on it so far. Anyway we are the exact same weight, I think both options would work well, you need to decide what is more important... Faster turning or a little more power. Both will have more low end than your bolt. You sound like turning is more important. I'm thinking ride?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:48 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the intel, much appreciated. Im a big Fan of the Rides for their ease of use, relaunch, and simplicity. I wasn't really considering other brands as I rode a zephyr and wasn't super impressed, a friend Best seems powerful, but I have 4 naish bars and am comfortable w/ the safeties etc… 14 Has basically always gotten it done for me, though typical summer winds are 12/14 mph, sea breeze….decisions decisions, anyway thank you again for the thoughts.
Best,

[ 6 posts ]