All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: How can i fix this leaky valve???!!
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

Best if you can remove the valve and reglue. This works with all of my old school kites. But I got a 2008 LF kite and I couldn't get the valve off (looks similar to your pic) with hot water (heat), nor isopropanol. I believe this type of valve is heat sealed instead of glued. I ended up just making a layer of aquasel on the entire white clothe, like icing on a cake, and formed a rim along the valve to make it air tight again. To test, reseat the bladder in the valve, pump up the kite, and pour a bucket of water near the valves. You can rub a sponge with soapy water and look for bubbles.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sflinux wrote:
I believe this type of valve is heat sealed instead of glued. I ended up just making a layer of aquasel on the entire white clothe, like icing on a cake, and formed a rim along the valve to make it air tight again. To test, reseat the bladder in the valve, pump up the kite, and pour a bucket of water near the valves. You can rub a sponge with soapy water and look for bubbles.

I know what type of bladder you are talking about, the valve is not heat sealed. Here are the layers from inside to outside

1. bladder
2. glue
3. valve
4. glue
5. outer bladder
6. cloth covering

The valve can not be heat sealed onto the bladder because plastic can't be heat sealed with polyurethane. But what they did with that model is heat seal layer 1 with layer 5, that is the two coverings are heat sealed together.

To deal with this I cut away with scissors layers 6 and 5. Be careful to cut around the heat seal, don't puncture the inner bladder with your scissors.

After 6 and 5 are cut away with scissors, the valve itself comes off the inner bladder with hot water like usual.

I don't like gluing the outer cloth because the seal has still failed underneath between levels 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 and it can end up bubbling out somewhere else. You are asking a lot of the glue because all the valve has to do is wiggle a bit and the bond between the valve and cloth will break. If you glue like this you aren't bonding along the entire surface of the valve but only the outer diameter of the valve, which is a pretty small contact area.

If you have an oversized valve patch it's sometimes quicker just to cut out the entire valve.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

bay surfer wrote:
I always keep Aquaseal in the freezer, stays good forever, need it every time I replace a valve.

I like this forum.
until reading this post I had accepted a tube of aquaseal to last exactly 2 applications. The container would seal it self shut after the first use, then you'd tear it to pieces the next time you go to use it.

This stuff is the tits for wetsuit repairs, valve sealing and permanently sealing caps onto things...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:03 am 
Medium Poster

edt wrote:
sflinux wrote:
I believe this type of valve is heat sealed instead of glued. I ended up just making a layer of aquasel on the entire white clothe, like icing on a cake, and formed a rim along the valve to make it air tight again. To test, reseat the bladder in the valve, pump up the kite, and pour a bucket of water near the valves. You can rub a sponge with soapy water and look for bubbles.

I know what type of bladder you are talking about, the valve is not heat sealed. Here are the layers from inside to outside

1. bladder
2. glue
3. valve
4. glue
5. outer bladder
6. cloth covering

The valve can not be heat sealed onto the bladder because plastic can't be heat sealed with polyurethane. But what they did with that model is heat seal layer 1 with layer 5, that is the two coverings are heat sealed together.

To deal with this I cut away with scissors layers 6 and 5. Be careful to cut around the heat seal, don't puncture the inner bladder with your scissors.

After 6 and 5 are cut away with scissors, the valve itself comes off the inner bladder with hot water like usual.

I don't like gluing the outer cloth because the seal has still failed underneath between levels 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 and it can end up bubbling out somewhere else. You are asking a lot of the glue because all the valve has to do is wiggle a bit and the bond between the valve and cloth will break. If you glue like this you aren't bonding along the entire surface of the valve but only the outer diameter of the valve, which is a pretty small contact area.

If you have an oversized valve patch it's sometimes quicker just to cut out the entire valve.

Will probably be hard to find oversized valve replacement.
So would it work if i seal under the white cloth the part around the valve base?.
You're right- it is that little friction tha separates the valve and makes space were the air comes out.
Is it worth glueing some poly glue around there?

Cheers and thanks for all those tips!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Have you seen these ? they look like a no brainer

http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/re ... -trap.html

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:43 am 
Frequent Poster

Hi,

here's the video you're looking for...

Dr.Tuba Video Manuals - How to replace kite valves.

This video will guide you thru the kite valve replacements. You will learn how to replace faulty valve with StickIT! replacement adhesive valve in 2 cases - if it goes easily off the kite bladder or in case you will have to cut it off.

Step by step procedures:

VALVE REPLACEMENT

S1. Mark the closing direction of the valve (if applicable)
S2. Pre-sand the valve area with fine sanding paper
S3. Clean the area with alcohol swabs and leave to air-dry
S4. Optionally mark the center of valve hole for easier placing
S5. Peel & Stick replacement valve
S6. Glue the valve edge to make repair permanent (Recommended)**

VALVE REPLACEMENT (CUT IT OFF)

S1. Cut the valve neck from the valve
S2. Pre-sand the valve area with fine sanding paper
S3. Clean the area with alcohol swabs and leave to air-dry
S4. Optionally mark the center of valve hole for easier placing
S5. Peel & Stick replacement valve
S6. Glue the valve edge to make repair permanent (Recommended)**

**NOTICE: with 2014 we switched the bladder adhesive to TEAR-AIR. With new adhesive additional valve base is generally not needed anymore (maybe only in really damaged or heavily talced bladders).

You may need to add a scrap of TPU film inside the bladder where the valve is, depending of how much bladder you need to cut off when removing the valve. Do not forget to make a valve hole here the valve is.

DOing in this way you'll have 100% working solution.

Read More…

drewkite wrote:
Hard to see in the image. But basically my valves are leaky but only in the middle (were the red)

It is also not unglued in the edges like usually happens.
I have seald the seam of a strut with a machine that seals food bags and stuff.
Would it work in this case too? What about if i do it and the plastic sticks to the other side???

An iron??
If so, any video out there??
P.S i need the kite for tomorrow

Thanks in advance and good winds!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 am 
Rare Poster

Don't know who has answered what.

I have fixed MANY of these vales! Since it unglued on only one part you should just take the whole valve out carefully by pulling it out. If it seems to hard to pull out and feel it will rip bladder material, you can take a blow dryer to if for a bit and it should unstick.

Since these valves are glued from the inside, you can either glue it back inside by putting glue on the top of the valve and sticking it back inside.
or
you can cut off the top layer of white, since normally there is a layer of bladder underneath you will be able to glue it back onto traditionally ( gluing the valve on top of the bladder)
The glue will not stick properly to the white cloth!

The way I get the valve back into the bladder with the glue already on it to stick it underneath as it originally came, is with a pair of needle nose like Plaiers. Grab onto the nipple of the valve and the flat base should come into an oval shape. Then put the glue on evenly on the top of the flat base.
wait until it drys a bit, then stick in the valve (starting with one side slowly in the whole then push it all the way threw quickly so you do not get the glue all over or smudge it!)
ones its in the bladder when you want to flatten it out and stick it underneath, make sure the base of the valve you are going to stick is flat. then press it evenly around so the glue sticks, then put a weight on it for around 12-24 hours to let it cure.

After about an hour of it sitting I always give it a check, you do not want the access glue squirting out the side and sticking to the other side on the bladder… once it drys fully it is pretty hard to rip off without ripping a hole in the bladder.

Good luck!
If any of it makes any sense at all! It has always worked for me, I repair 1000 of valves per year!!!!!
:o

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 am 
Rare Poster

Also a good quick fix for these types of valves glues from the inside with the white material is
Kitefix Valve trap. This is 100% and easy!

Never fix the small leak from one corner of the valve, if you can always take off the whole valve and do the whole thing to avoid future problems !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 am 
Frequent Poster

Dr.Tuba Video Manuals - How to easily unstick faulty or delaminated kite valve.

This video will show you how easy is to separate (unstick) faulty or partially delaminated kite valve from bladder.

Step by step procedure:

S1. Sink the valve into almost boiled water
S2. Gently peel off the valve
S3. Repeat Step 1 & 2 until the valve IS peeled off the bladder

Dr.Tuba Video Manuals - How to repair delaminated valves with ValveFIX CIrcles & Valve Pads.

Step by step procedures:

WITH ValveFIX Circles

S1. Remove damaged material off the valve base (if any)
S2. Pre-sand both valve base & area with fine sanding paper
S3. Clean both base & area with alcohol swabs and leave to air-dry
S4. Peel & Stick ValveFIX circle on valve base
S5. Peel & Stick valve back to original position
S6. Glue the valve edge to make repair permanent (A MUST!)

WITH Valve Pads

S1. Pre-sand & clean valve area and leave to air-dry
S2. Peel & Stick valve pad to the valve position
S3. Pre-sand & clean valve base and leave to air-dry
S4. Glue the valve base & press it over the pad to original position
S5. Glue the valve pad edge to make repair permanent

WARNINGS
Make sure that you cover the exposed bladder area so that the valve pad won't stick to the other side.
Make sure that bladder is properly inserted into the kite. If not you can blow it and even damage the kite!
Leave the repair to cure overnight!

:bye:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
1. bladder
2. glue
3. valve
4. glue
5. outer bladder
6. cloth covering

EDT thanks for your detailed explanation. I just had a valve failure on a 2009 WH and was shocked to see that it uses this type of valve setup. On the WH, it looks like it had
1. inner bladder material
2. glue
3. valve
4. glue
5. bladder
6. cloth covering
I was able to remove/cut the cloth covering and glue the valve directly to the bladder without having to cut away any bladder material. Thanks again for your tips. This repair is a much better one than the one I had previously done as mentioned above.

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next