All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Air Rush Zero Review
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:00 am 
Medium Poster

MikeBirt wrote:
They joys of reviews.. :-)

The zero is unlike any other big kite I have tested, that's for sure, and being unique does bring problems if you compare it to the way everything else works.

80kg, with a tiny board, in full power conditions, you are asking for pain...
I'm 84kg and I cannot physically ride the thing after 8-9 knots.

The zero's most amazing quality is that, in the lightest of air, it doesn't fall out of the sky. In winds when all other kites simply will not stay above your head, and certainly not climb out of a power dive, the zero does. This are the kind of conditions that it is designed for, for it will not fall forwards, and is so light that it not only climbs after the lightest wind power dive, but it's also responsive enough to throw around.. You can start using this kite 2 knots before anything else will even stay in the sky (maybe a massive flysurfer excluded)

Pair it with something that has a good rail length, a big twin tip, or some fins, (like a sector), and you have pushed the lower limit of possible riding conditions right down to stupidly low. The kind of winds you would have previously thought impossible.

When it gets windy though, unless you are really heavy, it won't push forward in the window to take you upwind, and if you do not have a board with enough rail or fin then regardless of weight you will not produce enough resistance to push the kite forward and get upwind, it certainly won't jump and you'll have exactly the experience you described. You are not wrong, your review is not biased, you are not malicious in your writeup, you just don't understand what this kite was designed for. You took a hot air balloon to a aerobatics display.

On that day you needed a 13/15m vantage for such a small board and so much wind..

Next time you can barely feel any wind, like 2-5 knots, borrow a big board and try again. You'll have a completely different experience.

Ahhh . . . the voice of reason :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

[quote="MikeBirt"]They joys of reviews.. :-)

The zero is unlike any other big kite I have tested, that's for sure, and being unique does bring problems if you compare it to the way everything else works.

80kg, with a tiny board, in full power conditions, you are asking for pain...
I'm 84kg and I cannot physically ride the thing after 8-9 knots.

Mike I clearly stated I was in 10-12kns This is not over powered at all.

The other two riders had 134 and 138 boards and where also blown away with the poor flying characteristics of this kite. lol 2-5kns you will not fly this kite nor any other kite for that matter. Just from that statement I can see I'm wasting my time here.

Anyway I posted this thread for an unbiased review from three guys that tried the Air rush zero. Ironically we all had the same view and conclusion. My point is if your looking to buy one of these test fly it first. It may be for you and it may not.

One more item regrading this kite it does not handle gusty conditions at all I would not recommend this kite in a gusty location.

If you look through the forums you will see I'm not alone in my review. Its the kites first year maybe next year Air Rush will fix these bugs and make the kite more enjoyable and able to travel upwind without constantly fighting the kite.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

Only trying to help dude..
The wind you said you rode it in is well outside it's intended use unless your second name is Schwarzenegger and you have a similar sized board..

If I can suggest you try a Vantage 17m if you want this size of kite in 10-11 knots, it'll be much more to your liking.

The zero is not so practical if I'm honest, but if someone put a gun to my head in the lightest winds imaginable and said 'ride', the zero and a sector one design would be the first thing I would go to. For everything else have a look at the Vantage, it's far more practical for what your looking for. Ironically, the Zero takes a lot more skill to fly in it's intended conditions.

A lot of people think that a Zero and say a 17m Zephyr are similar things...
They are a WORLD apart..

Anyway, just trying to help, not pointing fingers, don't shoot the messenger :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

SonnyRider wrote:
MikeBirt wrote:
They joys of reviews...

really? i mean Mike just recently discovered that "bridle lines are actually extensions of our flying lines".
you are selling Airush kites, Mike, so you are not just a messenger and i shoot...
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383992&start=60
MikeBirt wrote:
Back to the topic of bridle wraps if I may, I did have a very interesting point made to me by a very enlightened individual this morning.....
Bridle lines, as it was pointed out to me, are actually extensions of our flying lines, so long or short it doesn't really matter. A point that is very true..

i trust s1buell_wl's story and i'm glad to hear it actually. this kite just might be an asset for me.
if only my local airush's rep would be interested in selling something...

i think for the affiliated posters it is better to say the truth, not the marketing arguments coming from the headquarters. now Mikes speech is what i call a crap. i would never consider to buy the zero after reading his words. but the OP words made me really interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

eree wrote:
SonnyRider wrote:
MikeBirt wrote:
They joys of reviews...

really? i mean Mike just recently discovered that "bridle lines are actually extensions of our flying lines".
you are selling Airush kites, Mike, so you are not just a messenger and i shoot...
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383992&start=60
MikeBirt wrote:
Back to the topic of bridle wraps if I may, I did have a very interesting point made to me by a very enlightened individual this morning.....
Bridle lines, as it was pointed out to me, are actually extensions of our flying lines, so long or short it doesn't really matter. A point that is very true..

i trust s1buell_wl's story and i'm glad to hear it actually. this kite just might be an asset for me.
if only my local airush's rep would be interested in selling something...

i think for the affiliated posters it is better to say the truth, not the marketing arguments coming from the headquarters. now Mikes speech is what i call a crap. i would never consider to buy the zero after reading his words. but the OP words made me really interested.

I have not flown the Zero kite but have flown the new cloud, but have had them show up on our beach. This kite from what I have seen is much more of a niche kite similar to... Dare I say... The Epic Infinity that performs in a small wind range. The kite us only usable in the lightest wind range and 9 knots should not be overpowering for any kite. We have had the Flites in the air actually longer than the Zero's that have been around, Riding in the same light wind except we are not walking back up the beach after a tack.

If you have a good amount of money and you want a kite that you can only ride in a range of 3-4 knots in between riding and overpowered, this is your kite. Or you can spend your money on a Nicer kite that you can ride in the same light wind and stay on in a much greater wind range.

The Cloud, although not as good in the lightest wind, outperforms the Air Rush I would say in every other aspect. I held the Cloud C2 17m into 15knots, and I weigh 145lbs and I still rode upwind. If you want a good Zero strut kite I would stay with the innovator Greg.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

The Zero is designed to work in the lightest of winds, there is not much point in using it in 10kts+, or you will get a review like the one we just read at the start of this thread.

Yes I sell airush in the UK, and as such it's important for me to understand each and every kite. In all honesty we sell very few zero here as the winds here are usually nothing or too strong to use it. High alpine lakes like Silverplana, hot light locations like Thailand, the zero has a real market, but don't get all shirty because you used it in 10kt + and don't like it. I agree with you, just trying to help you understand what it is, and how it's designed to be used..

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:00 am 
Frequent Poster

I was in the OBX last week and finally had a chance to use the Airush Zero on the water. I had several sessions snow kiting with it last winter. The first session was with an Nobile XTR 140 x 46 in around 8-10 knots( i don't know, big kite wind). I was also using a Cabrinha Contra 17m as well that day. The kite has medium bar pressure and turns pretty quick for an 18m. It does take a little time to get use to it. Lets face it, it is different so why should it fly like a kite with struts? To get the best upwind performance(and yes, no issues going upwind) I found controlling you board speed was very important. Basically, slow down, do not let apparent wind take over and upwind you go. I demoed the kite to a couple guys on the beach, they had no problems going up wind and both concurred with the going slower. The de power strap does not have the same effect as a strut kite. Honestly ,edging and flying the kite more like a C kite , for me got very nice performance out of it. Jumping was a different story. This year I have used the Contra, OR Flite and SS Turbine. All boost with very solid hang time. The Zero was very vague when jumping. The other guys said the same thing, your just ripping along and send it thinking oh ya ,,,then i just kinda fizzles. Its really a timing thing, much different than the strut kites. I also had some time on the Zero using and Airush Cypher 5'8" and that was really nice. I can't wait to give it a try with the Sector 60.
I sell kites, we sell Airush among others. I've never sold a Zero yet( we just got them this year). It is not for everyone and indeed it has a narrow wind range. But, IMO the big selling points are,its a great LW travel kite for a guy over 85kg. It is very light and packs up small.
Below is a pic of the Zero in action, one of the guys first ride on it. Contra 17m on the beach and a couple of Core kites in the background. Also, it looks pretty nice in the air IMO, I like Orange!

Attachments:
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG [ 3.12 MIB | Viewed 487 times ]
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

that's a very interesting picture:
Attachment:
airush zero IMG_1612.JPG
airush zero IMG_1612.JPG [ 3.12 MIB | Viewed 468 times ]

Somehow reminds me of my experience with the cloud: I learned it has different heights in the window it seems to like depending on conditions, point of sail etc.

If a strutless kite is not feeling just right to you while riding, maybe try flying the kite a bit higher or lower than you would with a strutted kite, it should affect the profile more than with a strutted kite since there is no strut in the area locking in the profile.

I have found height in the window to be a more important, or more useful tool to use in getting the most out of my strutless kite, than it is with conventional LEIs.
May help with the zero also....
thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:07 am 
Frequent Poster

BWD, thats what I meant when I said fly it like a C kite. You are correct, moving the kite in the window to achieve the desired result seems to be needed more so with the strut less kite. I hope to get some more time on it. A question for you. Have you ever drift launched a strut less kite? Issues?

:thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Its a great Bus Catcher for Downwinders....

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next