All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drone
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:21 am 
Rare Poster

adamj2281 wrote:
I'm looking into this as a hobby, and then maybe into a side business for aerial photography for real estate, etc.

I have a background with R/C cars and a bit with trucks, but that was 15 years ago, so I'm guessing while the general equipment is similar (Electronic speed controls, accelromators, etc.) it would be quite the learning curve for DIY.

I'm thinking of buying a mid-level one like the DJI Phantom and then once I learn a bit more building a better one, any thoughts?

Kitesplosh - is that the Phantom 2 Vision? How does it compare to the Phantom 1?

Yes it's the Vision. Quite a step up from phantom 1 in terms of battery life 25 mins vs 7-10mins. Also with FPV out of the box, the Phantom 1 needs you to build an FPV system connected to you camera - can be costly in terms of $ and battery load.

If you can go for the Vision plus (not out in all countries yet) - it has a much longer FPV range and a 3D gimbal giving much smoother footage.

They are fairly easy to fly as long as you do the compass calibration,check GPS signal before take off etc. start out slow and make sure you have lots of space and conform with safety regs. Make sure you follow the set up instructions to the letter. Forums like phantompilots and rcgroup are a wealth of info.

If you are worried about stacking it you can get toy quads for $40-80 to practice on first.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 pm 
Medium Poster

This is kind of like asking which is the best kite...

I am a kiter that got into multirotors after seeing the footage that is possible.

TBS Discovery is good, but also check Flying Cinema's Cinetank. The Cinetank is very impressive and creates great results.

It is not a simple hobby tho... I have been in it three years now and feel I have a basic grasp on things. But neither is kiting right...

Check Rcgroups.com for a massive forum. Fpvlab.com is also great.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:46 pm 
Rare Poster

slightlyimperfect wrote:

I am a kiter that got into multirotors after seeing the footage that is possible.

TBS Discovery is good, but also check Flying Cinema's Cinetank. The Cinetank is very impressive and creates great results.

It is not a simple hobby tho... I have been in it three years now and feel I have a basic grasp on things. But neither is kiting right...

Agreed - lots of good quads out there, if you are willing to build them yourself. If you want something ready to fly out the box (a good idea for your first quad), the selection is much more limited. Hopefully a few more companies will follow DJIs lead on the Phantom Vision

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

KiteSplosh wrote:
slightlyimperfect wrote:

Agreed - lots of good quads out there, if you are willing to build them yourself. If you want something ready to fly out the box (a good idea for your first quad), the selection is much more limited. Hopefully a few more companies will follow DJIs lead on the Phantom Vision

Yeah, I'm probably going to go with a DJI, unfortunately, I use the Contour camera and don't have GoPro, so it's a lot of cash to drop for something that could mistakenly end up in the bottom of the ocean

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I've been using a Phantom2 with gimble...love it

Few crashes at the end of this one though!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Its worth the extra money to get a tbs discovery pro. I have flown both the phantom and discovery pro and there is no comparison. I have flown the tbs in 15-30 mph gusty wind and the results were amazing. That wind would of kept a phantom on the ground. jmo.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

windsuks wrote:

...vimeo

That was a Really Good editing job you did with your video ; Ya changed
scenes long before i had a chance to get bored with it. Was that an intuitive
sense ; or did you read how to do that ?

Flew my little V-222 quad last night ; need more practice before i spend
the money on a Quality one. For $65 , don't really mind crashing it ; but
it's difficult to break it flying over a grass . The neighbors cat, almost got
it last week though ! :D :lol:

Bille

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bille wrote:
windsuks wrote:

...vimeo

That was a Really Good editing job you did with your video ; Ya changed
scenes long before i had a chance to get bored with it. Was that an intuitive
sense ; or did you read how to do that ?

Bille

Cheers Billie,
I'm no expert but I guess the music has a lot to do with it but also keeping the clips short with lots of different angles etc
Only wish I could have taken it with us on our Hatteras trip recently.
There are so many great videos out there these days to get inspiration from :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

AirDroids, Kickstarter
this seams a good price for a simple drone
Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

$130.00 gets you a ready to fly 4 prop drone that can carry a GoPro and it comes with a transmitter.

RC EYE One Xtreme RTF

All the knobs rave about this one and how well it flies. I think the CineTank might have better footage for a gymbal-less setup but that is pure conjecture. Doesn't seem to have some of the programming and flight extras like an accelerometer and multi level skill adjustments like the Eye One though. A few more dollars. Plus you have to build it but then you'll learn more than an RTF.

The knobs also say buy a few cheapies before you fork out 1k because you're going to crash and burn.

The Blade Nano Qx is $80 and flies in your bathroom and is also highly recommended.

I'll be flying these two in a few days and I'll post my results. Those Air Droids are $500 and only three bladed. Hmmmmm........

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next