All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: North Nugget V Airush Cypher
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 am 
Rare Poster

Rider level - beginner, kiting for a year, been a while since done the walk of shame, transitions ok, working on getting some air.
Weight - 87kg
Current gear - Airush Lithium 2014 12m & 9m

Im wanting to progress to a direction board. Start to play around in the waves and increase low end wind range without committing more funds to purchase an additional larger kite.

Currently im looking at either a North Nugget or Airush Cypher (5'10 size).

Anyone have any advice on which board would be more universal, light wind planning yet still be able to be used in small mushy bay waves.

Thanks for your help.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: North Nugget V Airush Cypher
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I owned the 2013 nugget which had warranty issues and was promptly sent a 2014 5'2" nugget in replacement.

Can't speak for the cypher though I have heard they are great. The nugget is my all time favorite board, by a longshot.

I use it in any wind condition. It's just a really great board for messing around mushy waves, lake swell, etc. the new nugget is far more nimble which probably puts it in the same class as the cypher, but I would bet the cypher can handle bigger waves a little better due to the nuggets very flat rocker line.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 am 
Medium Poster

Espyeast wrote:
Rider level - beginner, kiting for a year, been a while since done the walk of shame, transitions ok, working on getting some air.
Weight - 87kg

Im wanting to progress to a direction board. Start to play around in the waves and increase low end wind range without committing more funds to purchase an additional larger kite.

Anyone have any advice on which board would be more universal, light wind planning yet still be able to be used in small mushy bay waves.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Espyeast,

I would lean more towards the 5'8 Cypher than the 5'10 if you are looking for a more direct comparison to the Nugget range.

This 5'8 size will give you a bit more universal riding to use in various wind conditions. You are going to get a stable board with the 5'8 Cypher, but still excel in onshore slop. I am 75 kgs and used the 5'6 last year in 12-5m kite conditions as long as it was onshore slop (my home beach in Cape Town). Learned a lot of air tricks on it. :D

The Cypher has 5 Surfinz boxes (compatible with FCS), so you can spend some time changing from quad (standard with more drive for onshore riding) to tri, which is a bit more pivotal and better for more cross shore conditions.

I'd recommend the 5'10 if you were a bit bigger and if you were strictly focused on lightwind riding.

Schmidy :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 am 
Rare Poster

Espyeast wrote:
Weight - 87kg

Thanks for your help.

If your focus are on areas in bold above I'd say easily choose the Nugget. I have not ridden the Cypher but had sort of its predecessor Airush Choptop 5'8 and there's a significant difference. The Nugget planes much earlier, goes way better upwind and is also better in smaller mushy waves. It's directly targeted at these three areas. Here's a review from a magazine http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2014/04/t ... th-nugget/

However, if universal is important to you meaning that you would go into bigger waves in the future, head high and up, then the Cypher might be a better option.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Maybe Puetz will chime in. He owns both boards. He can tell you about each. It might surprise you.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

14ToeSide wrote:
Maybe Puetz will chime in. He owns both boards. He can tell you about each. It might surprise you.

Agreed, robbie will sort this topic...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 am 
Frequent Poster

Nugget is closer to a sector than the cypher- it's massive...

5'8 Cypher is a real wave board, perhaps a bit lively for big fast waves, but normal conditions it excels. It's extremely happy in a straight line (upwind and early planing) considering how well it will goes around a corner.
5'8 is a good size, manoeuvrable and feels small underfoot for it's size.
5'10 for bigger guys or heavy footed riders, but it is still a wave board, not a light wind board..

Nugget is very practical in terms of straight line ability and light winds, but there is no way it can match a real wave board around the corners...
It just depends on what you want the board to do as what's best for you, they are quite different, even the 5'10 version.

[ 7 posts ]