All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: supercell
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Cool

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: supercell
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I wonder how many kiters would willingly set up and go out with something like that going on in the background... :naughty:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

In Florida?
Enough to make the news....

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 pm 
Rare Poster

Turned up to Camber Sands beach with this on the horizon, people kiting in front, captured this photo stitch as it then bombed in with 70mph winds and launched people from the water up the beach, few broken kites but no broken people amazingly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are quite a few amongst us, who appear to be oblivious to incoming weather systems and seem surprised when the wind goes offshore & they get lofted off to the horizon.

A reasonable rule of thumb is that its a good idea to land/pack up if there is a cloud on the horizon that looks like it could spit out the four horsemen of the apocalypse :bye:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Well you don't know what you don't know!

I had never done any wind powered sports before. The first time i discovered about squall wind spikes was when the wind spiked from 20 to 35 knots. I was landboarding on a 10m foil..... I got dragged down the beach while the thing was punched to safety!. Had to completely punch out and let the kite go!...

I don't think weather is covered enough in kite lessons.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

boom.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Pseq8ImHY#t=14[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Photo A. Patterson
http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?p=31305

plummet wrote:
Well you don't know what you don't know!

I had never done any wind powered sports before. The first time i discovered about squall wind spikes was when the wind spiked from 20 to 35 knots. I was landboarding on a 10m foil..... I got dragged down the beach while the thing was punched to safety!. Had to completely punch out and let the kite go!...

I don't think weather is covered enough in kite lessons.

This always used to be the case, I hope weather is covered better these days.
Some information appears in the top stickies at the following link including:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewforum.php?f=131

- Squalls - Some Ideas on avoiding them (updated 6.11.08)

- Shadow Blasted ... Flying In Dirty Air From Land Effects

- Avoiding hazardous weather

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:55 pm 
Medium Poster

Tbh, I am not as familiar with weather formations as some of you guys are. I look at the radar to see if supercells and if I see a storm out of hell coming, I come in far in advance. In Florida at the beach, its pretty easy to spot heavy duty systems coming in. I really prob should learn more about weather spotting so I can identify things while out to sea better, need a good resource for it though. It really is its own world. Forecasts nto as helpful given low quality of wind forecasting here.

In terms of getting stuck out there, has happened to me once, got lofted 30 ft up on a powerful gust, then I got the joy and pleasure of self landing in a squall. Worked out ok even though that was the first time I learned my QR was not invincible (kite remained powered up after I QR, altho at the time I did not realize that happens sometimes and I need to move forward to let the rest of the QR go down the line so to speak).

I like the idea of riding it out at sea a mile out with kite parked on the water. S FL is really shallow and has alot of places to easily stand up in, so if I can get the kite down, its cake walk. I also use an impact vest/pfd that can keep me floating, so water is not a problem either. When all else fails, flying the kite 2 ft above the water and simply body dragging upwind at the max angle against the wind has proven to be a great way to burn power. Its a variation of how I like to slow down (over edging using a full lean with my back/body weight to go too far upwind) while riding. I can do this for hours and hours too, works great when overpowered.

Rick you are in FL, how about a definitive guide to what FL weather systems look like? Id personally love that as I am a FL based kiter hehe. Apologies if you ahve already created one and I am missing it, I have not been around sicne 2012 and some of the posts you linked to are pretty old. Alot of noobs like myself in the sport that were not around back then, ESPECIALLY in FL.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

We frequently have powerful squalls in South Florida, apparently more so than in northerly areas. Any kiter down here should have a strong understanding of weather including both good and hazardous conditions. In short, understanding of kiting weather planning and monitoring.

Read over those three stickies at the link listed in the post above. Many of the concepts came up about a dozen years ago, they've been updated quite a few times since then. Dealing with this stuff isn't that hard or time consuming but you do need to read over a few things.

There are more recent articles like: http://www.sbckiteboard.com/rick-iossis-blog-display/post/51/Blown-Away

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7043

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8477

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2010/02/weather-to-ride-or-not/

Once you've gone through them come back with questions you might have.

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next