All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Light Winds: Switch Nitro II 14m or North Dyno 15m?
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:49 am 
Rare Poster

Hi guys,

I have been riding a Swith Nitro 2 2013 in 14m as my LW kite (the rest of my quiver is composed by North Vegas 7, 9 and 12m) and I use this kite with my Crazyfly Raptor Pro of 137cms or with a 6"8 surf board. I weight 70kgs, I have been kiting since 3 years and my style is freestyle, wave and freeride.

With the surf board I'm able to ride upwind with 10 knots in average, I like the low end of the Nitro, the quick turns for such a big kite, the friendly four liner bar and the overall quality of the kite, it's a great job from Switch really.

However, here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I feel like we are getting more light wind days year by year, so I'm looking for a kite to start riding upwind from 8 knots average and this is where the 15m Dyno comes in. I have been reading a couple of reviews and looks like this is a more race inspired kite than the Nitro, and that it requires more technik, it does not not have a one pump system (so as to make it more light) and it is required to be used with the 5th elemnt bar, which I'm used to but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the 5th line bars.

Do you think it's a good idea to change my Nitro 14m 2013 for a Dyno 15m 2014 so as to gain two more knots (8 vs 10, based on both official websites)? The other kite I was reading about is the Blade Fat Lady, which also has great feedback from users and is more similar to the Nitro. Is the Dyno 15m 2014 an easy-friendly kite for freeriding in low winds?

I'm also aware about the new North Juice, but at this point in time it's out of my budget.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Lucas

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Light Winds: Switch Nitro II 14m or North Dyno 15m?
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I live in San Diego and have been using the Fat Lady's for over 2 years now. There are other kites that will get you out a knot earlier, however, there just not as fun to fly as the Fat Lady. I weigh 200 lbs and with a high volume surfboard(35 lit), I can start having fun in the beach breaks when it's 11mph. I had the Fat Lady V1 in flat water once with no current and I was able to go in much lighter wind, but not my cup of tea. Every other big kite I've owned/tried (including the Dyno) turn too slow and are more prone to falling when the lines slack. So for me, it's the Fat Lady until something with better performance comes out. :D

BTW, The new Fat Lady will be released in June, so v2's are on sale for 1199.00 (kitepaddlesurf.com)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Dynos really a full blown race kite now. Fat lady a good option, best TS light wind, or even wait and see what this new north juice has to offer.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi, How about a NitroV3 16m??
To give the lwend...the bar you alreadyvhave, and l hear a lot of good rssults from this kite.
Give it a try..you know that Switchbhas a 3 day return policy...what can you loose? :thumb:
Cheers dude :cool2:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:18 am 
Rare Poster

Nitro V3 as a low wind kite?
Its not built like a light wind kite.
Only reason to offer is price wise.
and I doubt it will get him going below 10 knots, not talking about relaunch in those winds.

I can reverse launch an Element 9m in 9-10kn but a 16m kite that is built like a tank is another thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 am 
Very Frequent Poster

MrStrike wrote:
Hi guys,

Snip...

However, here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I feel like we are getting more light wind days year by year, so I'm looking for a kite to start riding upwind from 8 knots average and this is where the 15m Dyno comes in. I have been reading a couple of reviews and looks like this is a more race inspired kite than the Nitro, and that it requires more technik, it does not not have a one pump system (so as to make it more light) and it is required to be used with the 5th elemnt bar, which I'm used to but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the 5th line bars.

Snip...

Lucas

I dont understand why it should be ridden with 5 lines ???

My 2011 Dyno is excellent on 4 lines, and the raceguy here, having the latest pre-production Dyno kites, also use 4 lines on his latest model.

Lighter, simpler and easier :thumb:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Except you cannot or should not use their own north quad on the new pulley less dyno.

Has to be another single flag bar from another brand. It won't flag properly to two lines on the high Y.

Another 2011 rider...nice! Ridden the new ones peter? Very very different. :cry:

[ 7 posts ]