marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: cubakitelessons.com

Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby marlboroughman » Sat May 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Michelks wrote:Markchatwin, it ruined my session twice, couldn't jump or do anything,
When gust comes the kite goes to the front of the window ,flutters and you loose bar pressure.
When you load and send the kite for a jump it happens again. The more I depowered the kite the worse it was.
Two guys on Dices 9 had a perfect session at the same time.
Maybe its a issue of size 10 for this cold air weather condition, I had around 30 sessions with this kite and the kite was smooth on gusts and jumped really well.

It is definitely a bridle issue specifically the rear of the bridle is too long not closing the kite. Compare the bridle locally or measure each section and ask someone here for their measurements in the meantime contact North to give you measurements. Maybe they have pdf somewhere on their site.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sat May 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Westozzy wrote:What do you mean with no Y man? A low Y at least I presume? Also can you explain what the fifth line gives you being not loaded? Does it provide more stability is that it?

To really fine tune the kite I like to look at all lines at their full length so my set up is 5 equal length lines going to the bar without being joined at any level. Only then you can really compare slack, otherwise it is a hit and miss exercise.
When I am talking about setting the kite on five lines I mean taking the bridle right off meaning "loaded". "Loaded" is one of those misunderstood terminology things in kite language. "Loaded" fifth line should be only 90% loaded if you start flying of the fifth instead of the fronts your kite will be "loaded" with issues.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigPaul » Sat May 24, 2014 4:53 pm

I have just had a session on 9 dice and had the same experience. I usually love all things north but could not get on with this kite at all. No real lift and very twitchy. With my boots and tt it was ok. Not great. On my North whip. It was awful. The kite would not sit still and so made board starts hard work.
It's a shame as I'd been lookin forward to a session on the Dice for ages.
I did not get on well with the large inflate either. Great when it works but my hose kept slipping off and the air would rush out.
I think with the proper pump this would have been fine.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 25, 2014 12:18 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Westozzy wrote:What do you mean with no Y man? A low Y at least I presume? Also can you explain what the fifth line gives you being not loaded? Does it provide more stability is that it?

To really fine tune the kite I like to look at all lines at their full length so my set up is 5 equal length lines going to the bar without being joined at any level. Only then you can really compare slack, otherwise it is a hit and miss exercise.
When I am talking about setting the kite on five lines I mean taking the bridle right off meaning "loaded". "Loaded" is one of those misunderstood terminology things in kite language. "Loaded" fifth line should be only 90% loaded if you start flying of the fifth instead of the fronts your kite will be "loaded" with issues.

Agreed you must always fly with some slack in the fifth on say a loaded rebel. But it is loaded relative to a fifth line that is their purely as a safety. So you rip the bridles of a bridled kite and use 5 equal lines, interesting.

Not user what is happening to your 9 and 10m guys, we've been on them since September last year, not one issue even during the serious storm fronts hitting right now. Weird.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun May 25, 2014 3:00 am

Are there knots restricting the pulley travel on that kite? Just wondering.

No Idea
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby No Idea » Sun May 25, 2014 3:06 am

What I mean by removing the front line "Y" is removing the single front leader line from the pulley at the chicken loop and the front lines all together. I would then attach a set of 24m lines to the pulley so it is set up like a normal 4 line bar without the leader line.

Better yet I will grab one of my Slingshot bars and try the kite with those lines.

I won't go the 5th line set up as I never have liked the 5th line concept. Had them on some of my earlier Fuels and ended up turning them into a 4 line kite for the simplicity.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby eree » Sun May 25, 2014 8:13 am

NI, how exactly does wing tip distort? does leading edge bend upward at some place between back line and bridle connecting point closest to the wing tip? or may be it bends between two bridle connecting points? does it distorts only on the up-stroke or on both up and down strokes?

any way, removing the front Y-line will not help.

Awn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Fly Kitesurfing Ras Sudr
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr
Style: Airstyle
Gear: 2014 Dice 12meter
2014 Veagas 14 meter
Dakine seat harness
2012 fone trax 133*40
2010 crazy fly 127*38

Postby Awn » Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 am

Had the same issue with the Dice after a couple of month of use, it has happened to a couple of my friends, it normal occurs after a hard crash, then the kite starts losing its shape in strong winds, it losses all power and you can't jump, After long research, I have come to the following conclusion, Sell the Kite, also flying the kite with 5 lines helps a little, Sell the kite, love north but they screwed me with the DICE

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Maybe the length of the lines which are supporting the leading edge are stretching or shrinking enough to change the kite behaviour (Especially the ones where the pulley slides).
cannot be that the canopy stretches that much since it does not happen on the other north kites.
Maybe you can try to change the 10cm pigtail which is attached to the side of the front supporting lines (the ones which are directly attached to the canopy) with a longer ones to see if the kites performs again.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Awn wrote:Had the same issue with the Dice after a couple of month of use, it has happened to a couple of my friends, it normal occurs after a hard crash, then the kite starts losing its shape in strong winds, it losses all power and you can't jump, After long research, I have come to the following conclusion, Sell the Kite, also flying the kite with 5 lines helps a little, Sell the kite, love north but they screwed me with the DICE

Big call. Long research about what?

Return to “Kitesurfing”