All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Michelks wrote:
Markchatwin, it ruined my session twice, couldn't jump or do anything,
When gust comes the kite goes to the front of the window ,flutters and you loose bar pressure.
When you load and send the kite for a jump it happens again. The more I depowered the kite the worse it was.
Two guys on Dices 9 had a perfect session at the same time.
Maybe its a issue of size 10 for this cold air weather condition, I had around 30 sessions with this kite and the kite was smooth on gusts and jumped really well.

It is definitely a bridle issue specifically the rear of the bridle is too long not closing the kite. Compare the bridle locally or measure each section and ask someone here for their measurements in the meantime contact North to give you measurements. Maybe they have pdf somewhere on their site.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Westozzy wrote:
What do you mean with no Y man? A low Y at least I presume? Also can you explain what the fifth line gives you being not loaded? Does it provide more stability is that it?

To really fine tune the kite I like to look at all lines at their full length so my set up is 5 equal length lines going to the bar without being joined at any level. Only then you can really compare slack, otherwise it is a hit and miss exercise.
When I am talking about setting the kite on five lines I mean taking the bridle right off meaning "loaded". "Loaded" is one of those misunderstood terminology things in kite language. "Loaded" fifth line should be only 90% loaded if you start flying of the fifth instead of the fronts your kite will be "loaded" with issues.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have just had a session on 9 dice and had the same experience. I usually love all things north but could not get on with this kite at all. No real lift and very twitchy. With my boots and tt it was ok. Not great. On my North whip. It was awful. The kite would not sit still and so made board starts hard work.
It's a shame as I'd been lookin forward to a session on the Dice for ages.
I did not get on well with the large inflate either. Great when it works but my hose kept slipping off and the air would rush out.
I think with the proper pump this would have been fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

marlboroughman wrote:
Westozzy wrote:
What do you mean with no Y man? A low Y at least I presume? Also can you explain what the fifth line gives you being not loaded? Does it provide more stability is that it?

To really fine tune the kite I like to look at all lines at their full length so my set up is 5 equal length lines going to the bar without being joined at any level. Only then you can really compare slack, otherwise it is a hit and miss exercise.
When I am talking about setting the kite on five lines I mean taking the bridle right off meaning "loaded". "Loaded" is one of those misunderstood terminology things in kite language. "Loaded" fifth line should be only 90% loaded if you start flying of the fifth instead of the fronts your kite will be "loaded" with issues.

Agreed you must always fly with some slack in the fifth on say a loaded rebel. But it is loaded relative to a fifth line that is their purely as a safety. So you rip the bridles of a bridled kite and use 5 equal lines, interesting.

Not user what is happening to your 9 and 10m guys, we've been on them since September last year, not one issue even during the serious storm fronts hitting right now. Weird.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Are there knots restricting the pulley travel on that kite? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:06 am 
Frequent Poster

What I mean by removing the front line "Y" is removing the single front leader line from the pulley at the chicken loop and the front lines all together. I would then attach a set of 24m lines to the pulley so it is set up like a normal 4 line bar without the leader line.

Better yet I will grab one of my Slingshot bars and try the kite with those lines.

I won't go the 5th line set up as I never have liked the 5th line concept. Had them on some of my earlier Fuels and ended up turning them into a 4 line kite for the simplicity.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

NI, how exactly does wing tip distort? does leading edge bend upward at some place between back line and bridle connecting point closest to the wing tip? or may be it bends between two bridle connecting points? does it distorts only on the up-stroke or on both up and down strokes?

any way, removing the front Y-line will not help.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 am 
Rare Poster

Had the same issue with the Dice after a couple of month of use, it has happened to a couple of my friends, it normal occurs after a hard crash, then the kite starts losing its shape in strong winds, it losses all power and you can't jump, After long research, I have come to the following conclusion, Sell the Kite, also flying the kite with 5 lines helps a little, Sell the kite, love north but they screwed me with the DICE

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Maybe the length of the lines which are supporting the leading edge are stretching or shrinking enough to change the kite behaviour (Especially the ones where the pulley slides).
cannot be that the canopy stretches that much since it does not happen on the other north kites.
Maybe you can try to change the 10cm pigtail which is attached to the side of the front supporting lines (the ones which are directly attached to the canopy) with a longer ones to see if the kites performs again.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Awn wrote:
Had the same issue with the Dice after a couple of month of use, it has happened to a couple of my friends, it normal occurs after a hard crash, then the kite starts losing its shape in strong winds, it losses all power and you can't jump, After long research, I have come to the following conclusion, Sell the Kite, also flying the kite with 5 lines helps a little, Sell the kite, love north but they screwed me with the DICE

Big call. Long research about what?

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next