All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dice on a slingshot bar
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:22 pm 
Rare Poster

I currently ride a 12 and 8m Dice on the North Trust 4 line bar.

For kitetrips I want to take a second set of bar and lines in case of breakage or to have my wife on the 8 while I am on the 12.

I have a 4 line slingshot bar in good condition. Are there any problems flying a Dice on it? The main concern is the Dice normally uses a two line flagging system while the Slingshot bar flags to one line.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Dice on a slingshot bar
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Isn't there a Y on trust centers?...probably not advisable...Chatwin could verify...plus the SS cleat sucks (as you probably know)...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:54 am 
Medium Poster

http://vimeo.com/m/94756183

I did not try to pull the safety yet... I should do it first thing next session. However since I am travelling I won't be able to kite for the next month :(

PS: pigtails need to be adjusted since north uses different loop/knot sets

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

Well Massimo is flying the kite in the video so seems fine. It's a low Y so that may change the character of the canopy, loosening it up. WestOzzy rides this way at times. Hopefully he can chime in on what it does to the kite. And yes the pigtails need to be switched. However definitely pull the release to make sure it flags safely. Maybe something in the canopy line or shape of the kite prefers the 2 center line safety...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks all - what a great forum

Will wait for a suitably calm day and give it a very careful trial...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Well this exact question (probably same post) is on our local forum so I will cut and paste in my answer from there...

I hope i can be of assistance here. Experimented a fair amount on a low Y single flag bar, the north quad and also an older five line north bar on the 9 and 12 dice, as well as the 2011 dyno while I'm at it, but your question is about the dice.

The low Y bar as it should opens up the canopy. This is very noticeable especially when tethering and in flight as well. The high Y creates a much tighter C. On the Low Y, your low end is improved, Turning is faster, hangtime seem to slightly improve, and loops become far more direct and consistent. You lose some of the 'C' qualities and the 'stable' feel of the dice, but marginal.

But with everything there is a catch. The throw length before you stall the kite is reduced somewhat. Hence the plug and play, hooked/unhooked features of the dice on its own quad high Y bar gets a little more fastidious. In that you need to work with your trim a little more depending on wind strength and water conditions. This is far more noticeable on the smaller 9m than the 12 to a point where honestly you are better off on the north High Y on the 9m kite. You lose too much throw length before you stall it.

What is also apparent and this could very well be related to the above, the kite does tend to be more stable at its high end on the high Y north bar. So as with everything what giveth with one, taketh with the other. So...I use the low Y on my dice 12m for when I'm going old school on the flats and for freestyle, and the high Y when in the waves. The 9m just uses the quad, it performs better.

The dyno 16m I run the low Y 4 line in lighter winds (from 11 to 15), then 15 up its on the five line north bar. In terms of single line flagging on the dice, sorry I should have tested this, but I never have had to. There is absolutely no reason why is shouldn't work though. It does work on on the dyno though, but this is built to take a 4 line bar anyway and infact you shouldn't run it on their own 4 line high Y anyway.(the 2013 on on with no pulleys)..which is somewhat weird.

That all being said I rode yesterday the 9m on the lower Y switch bar in frontal stuff and it performed really well, but again we didnt get right up there with the winds. Definetly felt more at home sending powered loops though and that as on 23m lines not 22 on the quad.

Flagging not sure, someone should test this, but in 14 years I've only ever had to punch out once or twice...you watch it will happen the next time i go kiting now! Must admit although the kite stays powered a fair bit, I prefer the double line flag in the surf, keeps some power in the kite, gets it up quicker...but if shit hits the fan nothing beats the single line flag.

ps that all being said, if I use 23m lines on the low Y and 22m on the quad High Y how far is the actual Y from the kite...what is the difference really relative to back line length.

[ 6 posts ]