All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Backroll Kiteloop Help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What is nuts is to teach people about kiteloop trick without explaining the kite position before initiating the loop that is definition of nuts that will result in numb nuts. I actually teach people to loop the kite without the spin first so they understand mechanics of it especially the kite position before they go backwards to the kite. Guess what, after they understand the loop they prefer to go higher. With a kite that has good looping characteristics I look for a ramp to get even more lift and slack for super mellow but huge kite loop trick. The upwind flying kites need tension on the lines to turn so only small lift and loops initiated forward of twelve. But even with those kites you can go huge if you understand you have to return the kite forward of twelve to be able to initiate a tight helicopter loop. Those are the most important things to understand: equipment, type of loop you are attempting and kite position.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:17 pm 
Rare Poster

Gang, thanks for all of the stellar advice! Next session, I'll .....

1. Initiate slower rotation
2. Delay kiteloop
3. Pin the bar
4. Spot landing and cruise off

I'll be sure to post a follow up video (with hopefully better results

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Problem with kite loops is there is barely any advice out there other than "commit" or "kiteloops are easy all it takes are balls". so people have to learn on their own wind speeds height when to pull how to bail. it makes kite loops have a worse reputation than they deserve. imagine trying to kite w no instruction. kite loops are the same. you need instruction but there is no where to find it other than ocassional posts on this forum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There is barely any good advice on anything not just kiteloops. When I tell students how to body drag they go but the video tells something else and I am like forget the video just do what I say and a day later they are like that video is garbage and I am like daaa. Am I talking like a high school chic sorry it was just fitting. Every move I mastered I was like why they didn't explain it like I know now. Ups I did it again. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 pm 
Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
don't go higher! you gonna hurt yourself!!!

In the first video you over rotate...second was already better.

Give your rotation just an input for half a rotation...the looping kite will then pull you forward for the other half of the rotation.

This way you can't over rotate!

Good luck and let us know how it went!!!

Just read this what Toby said! Very well explained!
You over rotate - try a slower backroll - the kite will help with the last part of the spin.
Learn the move in low wind before trying it in nuking conditions like the others said, a good advice for most tricks, and especially kiteloops (a friend of mine broke his leg straight of doing a megaloop and he never really got properly back in the game)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nobody is talking about mega loops, heli loops are the safest. Toby is doing it his way for his style and its not safe at all. He clears them just in time but there is a lot of swing and possibility of rib, ankle, knee injury or getting winded and knocked out. I would never try that on snow. In heli loop you go up, there is no swing or pull I keep my hands together on the bar that's how little pull there is and you come down like a feather. If you don't do loops don't try to teach other people, please.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:10 am 
Rare Poster

john a wrote:
Toby wrote:
don't go higher! you gonna hurt yourself!!!

In the first video you over rotate...second was already better.

Give your rotation just an input for half a rotation...the looping kite will then pull you forward for the other half of the rotation.

This way you can't over rotate!

Good luck and let us know how it went!!!

Learn the move in low wind before trying it in nuking conditions like the others said,

Agree. I practiced literally hundreds of backroll kiteloops (heli-loops actually) this winter in lightwind conditions on my 17m blade fat lady, which I eventually dialed in. Since the wind was so light, I had to rotate fast, and loop the kite early in order to land as the kite was coming up. I did notice as I was more and more powered that the landings became less smooth, since I still rotated early and looped early.

Gotta rotate slower and be patient with the loop if I want to nail the backroll kiteloop in anything but sub 15mph wind.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2