All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: liquid force blatter issues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 pm 
Medium Poster

I have had numerous issues with my blatter popping on my 14m liquid force NRG kite while inflating. I have had LF send me multiple kites and have been running into the same issue. The LE blatter seems to be popping towards the far wing tips. First pop was patched and has been holding but 3 sessions later while inflating a second pop occurred about 5 inches away from the original repair.

After I patched up this new tear I checked out the opposite wingtip and it's blatter. While there is no tear, I did find a "nipple" or bump (see pictures) that appears to have formed on the blatter implying that this might be close to bursting.

One would think the obvious cause of this is me over inflating but I have been specifically following the instructions of the maxflow LF pump. It recommends inflating to a psi level of 6-8 depending on rider preference. This recent burst occurred while I was at 5psi. I have even been using various pumps LF has sent and still have the same issue!

I am becoming very frustrated with this situation as have missed a lot of kiting because of it! Are LF kites known for having weak blatters? Am I doing something wrong here? Please help!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: liquid force blatter issues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

never heard of anyone else having these kinds of problems with that kite. I haven't seen problems even with people that put 10 psi in that model or other liquid force models. something is not right. I would suggest you talk to a local liquid force kite dealer, or go back and talk to liquid force. Never seen them do this sort of thing before. I have no idea what is wrong. Twisted bladder? I dunno. I suspect you would notice something like a twisted bladder when you inflated, it would look like a crease in the kite and you would just reinsert the bladder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm 
Medium Poster

I have had the same problem with my 2013 LF NRG 12 meter. The LE bladder first developed a small leak at the wing tip, which I patched with Tear-Aid. A half dozen sessions later, the bladder burst a few inches below the patch. I heat-sealed a bladder patch to repair the (approx. 3 inch) hole. Finally, I had another (third) small leak in the same general area. Since all the leaks were near the tip of the LE bladder, I used my heat sealer to create a new "end" across the tip of the bladder (below the three leaks). So far, I have not had another problem.

When I bought my 12-meter, the seller told me that several other people had been having problems with the NRG LE bladders where they fold into the velcro pocket at the wing-tips. Unlike most kites that I've owned or repaired for others, the velcro pocket at the end of the LE on NRGs protrudes at an angle when opened - about 135 degrees (most kites have pockets that protrude straight out of the LE at 180 degrees). I don't know why LF designed the NRG this way, and I don't know if the Envy or other LF kites have "bent" pockets, but I've suspected that this design could sometimes crimp the NRGs' LE bladders at the tips.

Other than this issue on my 12 meter, I have been very happy with the NRGs. Great kites. I also own a 2013 16-meter NRG and 2012 10, 8 and 6-meter NRGs - no problems with these.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 pm 
Medium Poster

FLandOBX wrote:
Other than this issue on my 12 meter, I have been very happy with the NRGs. Great kites. I also own a 2013 16-meter NRG and 2012 10, 8 and 6-meter NRGs - no problems with these.

Damned man, you are Mr. NRG!

I have a 2013 16m and 12m, no bladder issues so far, cross me fingers it stays that way; I try to baby my kites (no tomahawking) in the hopes they last. I'm surprised you went for the smaller sizes, once the wind gets up that high I start to like other designs better

To the OP, hope you are able to sort out your issue, let us know how you resolve it. One thing to consider is simply getting a new aftermarket bladder. Granted, if you are within warranty I can imagine you would prefer to go that route. These guys manufacture their own altho the main LE is expensive (the struts are actually quite reasonable so anything other than the LE should be easy - of course, thats the problem you are having).

http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/li ... dders.html

[ 4 posts ]