All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:34 am 
Frequent Poster

So they very politely said
We have never seen this before, tough sh*t, f*ck off ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 am 
Frequent Poster

I have looked at my 2013 C4 and there is some canopy damage around the area where the boston valve rubs when packed down. So at least I have learnt to be more careful and put it under the cover now. Do you think I can claim a new kite as I was not warned of this by the manufacturer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

No I had a mate who tried that from the same issue. No banana. He was so pissed he dumped all his ozone kites..he's a bit hot headed. But he's back now on his beloved edges, using the neoprene cover on pack down. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

KiteRunner wrote:
We haven't had any claims at all about pinholes as all material is checked by hand with a lightbox as you can see in our factory video at 1:42
http://vimeo.com/15725532

Impressive manufacturing facility..... I have seen far lower conditions in F1 :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:03 am 
Rare Poster

I own a 2012 REO. I am happy with the kite and it has pinhole. I have patched them but now I am very careful how I pack my REO. My other kites don't get pinholes.(Naish and Liquid Force). I pack them loose and sometime with sand because I am in a hurry to get home . My two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 am 
Frequent Poster

Dear all Ozone kite owners, thank you very much for trusting in Ozone and buying into our products, as a small company we are very grateful for all of our customers and we take this issue of quality very seriously. We own our own factory and so can keep an eye on our stitching and quality control. We use the same quality checks on all of our kites and materials that we use on our Paraglider products where quality is paramount to safety of our customers.

We have used the same material for our water kites (Teijin T9600 Techno Force) since 2006 and have changed this year to D2 when Teijin developed this new material for the kitesurf market. Teijin make the best material for kitesurfing that we know of and we have extensive testing in our trusted schools with new materials ever year from all suppliers.

The issue of the pin holes can be caused by the red boston valve being pushed against the ripstop nylon, boards and harnesses being placed on the kites and also from self launching and landing in tough conditions or leaving your kite flapping on the beach all day. They do not appear in the material by themselves. We have a neoprene cover for the boston valve and we produced a video to try and get the info out there to all our customers.

The valve, boards and harnesses are sharp enough to create pin holes but it is not an issue with the material as it is tested by running the material in front of a light box when it arrives in the factory.

Kites are flying machines, they are designed and built tough and our sewing is second to none but many people expect too much from Ripstop Nylon, it is a lightweight material. Please treat your kites with care and they will last longer.

Ozone information… we are a small team of passionate riders like you, we have 4 people in the product team based in NZ and Germany, one in graphic design in NZ and 2 in the sales office in Barcelona, between the 7 of us we release 14 models of kitesurf kites and snowkites per year and do all the marketing for them too. We have 800 people in the factory in Vietnam making kites and paragliders for Ozone only. Customers are number one for us, without you we would not be able to keep designing and producing kites and working with our passion, we also feel like the factory workers are a part of our family and want to protect their jobs. We do take our business very seriously but we also do not believe in giving a warranty to situations that are not under our control.

We really like to work with feedback but find Kite Forum a difficult place to be notified and then to quantify the issues or potential problems. We test all our products very thoroughly in as many places as possible, we have seen many situations and our team riders are from all around the world testing kites from 5 to 50 knots and from flat water to hammering waves, but everyone rides differently and everyone has different issues and different ways of treating their kites. If you have an issue with your kite please take it to the local dealer you bought them from and he will get in touch with us, We can react way faster to a post in Kite Forum, a few posters here have not had the answer they wanted, we have a fair policy of manufacturing and material warranty but we do not use warranty as a marketing tool.

We hope that you continue to buy Ozone and that any unhappy customer here can see our point of view. Thank you again for trusting in Ozone as a brand. Team Ozone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hats off for the response.

Good video & tips, although I was surprised to see no mention of the strut clips? I have new '14 edges (which I think have clips?) and would appreciate a short video covering this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 pm 
Medium Poster

TheRussian wrote:

Good video & tips, although I was surprised to see no mention of the strut clips? I have new '14 edges (which I think have clips?) and would appreciate a short video covering this.

At least Ozone came out and said something. However, this video was published in 2012 so I don't understand how is it relevant to the fragile material they used on the 2014 models..

I still feel that I was treated like shit.

As I said, I owned a dozen of kites over the years, and this is the only one that had these issues. Everyone can say whatever they want. I can only go by my own experience, and my experience led me to the conclusion that at least the 2014 REO I was sold was made from shitty material and did not stand up to the quality of any of the kites I owned prior.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 pm 
Frequent Poster

KiteRunner wrote:
TheRussian wrote:

At least Ozone came out and said something. However, this video was published in 2012 so I don't understand how is it relevant to the fragile material they used on the 2014 models..

I still feel that I was treated like shit.

As I said, I owned a dozen of kites over the years, and this is the only one that had these issues. Everyone can say whatever they want. I can only go by my own experience, and my experience led me to the conclusion that at least the 2014 REO I was sold was made from shitty material and did not stand up to the quality of any of the kites I owned prior.

Hi Kiterunner, we have used the same material form the same supplier for the 2014 REOs as the 2012 REO, the first change of material was brought in March 2014 with our new Edge, when we changed to double rip stop D2 manufactured by the same supplier. I dont know what was different with your 2014 REO experience, I wish we had an answer to that.

I am sorry that you feel hard done by with the situation of your kite, your feedback has been taken on board during our lengthy product meeting this morning.

I sincerely hope that you continue to enjoy the sport and have fewer problems with the next brand that you choose if you decide not to stick with Ozone, I hope you will stick to Ozone.

All the best, Iain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

An interesting response from Ozone. Thanks for your input.

I have a question. The same type material has been used since 2006. Has different weight/thicknesses been used on different years? or is it all exactly the same?

If other manufacturers kites have not pin holed in the same enviroment what material are they using? Are they using heavier weight cloth? or completely different brand?

Or is it just bad luck? Or perhaps the darker canopy makes it easier to see the pin holes?

On a side note I get very good life from my ozone kites. I do have pin holes but put that down to launching on beaches and packing my kites away sandy. I have noted a significant reduction in wear launching/landing 80% of the time on grass rather than sand.

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next