Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tona Flow?

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2631
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 am

consumer wrote:I got mine. Keep in mind I am biased because I am a rep. I actually asked to be a rep because I love their boards so much. I also ride boards from slingshot, liquid force, and north.

I now prefer the Flow as my main board, over my pop and any other board.

Things I like about it:

1. Brainless loading/pop. Something about the shape of this board makes it so easy. I've been working on riding more powered, but I easily get overpowered to where I need fins with my other boards ('14 models) to get pop and slack. This board just does it, and does it in CHOP. It's stepped up my riding for sure.

2. smooth. This board is silky even though it is a wake style board. It's ironic that I actually get an incredible amount of pop with this board (actually more so than my other boards which I can't explain - is it because it is new? lol). It's a good thing though that the landings are so smooth. It makes sticking landings from height and speed EASY.

3. styling is next level.

I think they nailed it with this board. This should be their primary in their lineup. It does everything better than any other wake style board I have tried (my wife says i'm a hoarder, but I think I have finally found my ideal board). Tona has been trying hard to produce that perfect shape that is fun to ride, durable, and does not make any compromises with die-hard wake stylers. This is it. Absolutely nailed it with the Flow and super excited for my next session on it!

Could you give a breakdown of sizing? They're long boards, I guess because of the rocker.

I'm 185 lbs. (84 kg.) I'm not looking for a lightwind board, but also don't need a board that I can only ride at the top end of my kites.
what size would be good for me with straps?
what about with boots?

Thanks!

User avatar
consumer
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:10 pm

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby consumer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:16 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:Could you give a breakdown of sizing? They're long boards, I guess because of the rocker.

I'm 185 lbs. (84 kg.) I'm not looking for a lightwind board, but also don't need a board that I can only ride at the top end of my kites.
what size would be good for me with straps?
what about with boots?

Thanks!


I am 185lbs and rode a 12m RPM and 12m Dice in the windgraph pictured with the 140 Flow (from noon~6pm). I was mostly overpowered during this time. I ride it with Hyperlite systems (Process Boot model). I should also mention that we have a considerable current that aids us upwind (hood river).

I agree with you that it's frustrating to get a 140 sized board that you want for powered riding and find that it is more like a light-wind board. I think that a reason for this are differences in rocker and the width. I could be using the wrong terminology but this board has more tip to tail taper than say the slingshot vision, which I find to be a pretty large board even though it is in this size range.

As a blanket statement I would say that the 140 Flow compares to your standard 138cm boards that other manufacturers are putting out for freestyle riding.

The 140 Flow is a safe bet for booted and strapped riding for you at your weight. This is assuming you aren't frequently finding yourself riding overpowered, in which case the 136 would be more ideal.

Again I have to add the disclaimer that it's very difficult to comment on/recommend sizes since the upwind current in the columbia river is so significant. It's been a long time since i've felt what it was like having to struggle to make upwind ground.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 7.14.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 7.14.44 AM.png (68.38 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2631
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 pm

consumer wrote:...
The 140 Flow is a safe bet for booted and strapped riding for you at your weight. This is assuming you aren't frequently finding yourself riding overpowered, in which case the 136 would be more ideal.

Again I have to add the disclaimer that it's very difficult to comment on/recommend sizes since the upwind current in the columbia river is so significant. It's been a long time since i've felt what it was like having to struggle to make upwind ground.

Thanks. That helps. Yeah, I guess getting the "middle" board is a safe bet.

Also good to know your location and current. Looking at the wind graph alone didn't help as I wasn't clear if you spent more time riding in the low teen lulls or the high 20 gusts! (sounds like it felt more like 20s, with the addition of current assist)

lchen
Rare Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:44 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Alameda, 3rd Avenue, Sherman
Favorite Beaches: Sherman
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 7/9/12/14
Tona Flow 136
Tona Pop 138
Brand Affiliation: Tona

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby lchen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
consumer wrote:...
The 140 Flow is a safe bet for booted and strapped riding for you at your weight. This is assuming you aren't frequently finding yourself riding overpowered, in which case the 136 would be more ideal.

Again I have to add the disclaimer that it's very difficult to comment on/recommend sizes since the upwind current in the columbia river is so significant. It's been a long time since i've felt what it was like having to struggle to make upwind ground.

Thanks. That helps. Yeah, I guess getting the "middle" board is a safe bet.

Also good to know your location and current. Looking at the wind graph alone didn't help as I wasn't clear if you spent more time riding in the low teen lulls or the high 20 gusts! (sounds like it felt more like 20s, with the addition of current assist)


The 140 should be fine for you with both boots/straps. The 144 would be waaay too big. That sucker is meant for 200 lb riders. The big boys.

Where are you based CaptainArgh?

elliott george
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 8:11 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby elliott george » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Can't believe people are putting straps on the tona flow :lol: . That board won't really come alive until you put some boots on it. I'm taking it to the cable tomorrow so I'll give some thoughts on it then.

elliott george
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 8:11 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby elliott george » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 pm

http://kitescoop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11124 here's my review of the board at the cable

User avatar
windrt
Medium Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 0
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.
Location: windrats.com
Contact:

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby windrt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:05 am

Our little review of the Flow. (Spanish 8) )

http://www.windrats.com/tona-flow-review-a-fondo/


We love the board, eventhough it's a couple of knots slower than the pop.

fca
Rare Poster
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Kiting since: 5
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby fca » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Which size of tona FLOW for a 67kg person?
Wondering between 136 and 140...



I rode the Pop138 and it was good in lowend. Worried about the more rocker the flow has and think the 136 should be to small?

greez

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2631
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:17 am

fca wrote:Which size of tona FLOW for a 67kg person?
Wondering between 136 and 140...

I rode the Pop138 and it was good in lowend. Worried about the more rocker the flow has and think the 136 should be to small?

greez

I'm 83 kg., bought the 140 and it is perfect for me. I think it rides like a 130.
I think you'll be fine on the 136 at your weight.

Uwe Schröder
Medium Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: the World
Favorite Beaches: Dito
Style: All
Gear: Everything and TWO.AG Boards
Brand Affiliation: TWO.AG

Re: Tona Flow?

Postby Uwe Schröder » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:48 am



Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alysum, Don Monnot, MSNbot Media, topmick, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests