All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tona Flow?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

consumer wrote:
I got mine. Keep in mind I am biased because I am a rep. I actually asked to be a rep because I love their boards so much. I also ride boards from slingshot, liquid force, and north.

I now prefer the Flow as my main board, over my pop and any other board.

Things I like about it:

1. Brainless loading/pop. Something about the shape of this board makes it so easy. I've been working on riding more powered, but I easily get overpowered to where I need fins with my other boards ('14 models) to get pop and slack. This board just does it, and does it in CHOP. It's stepped up my riding for sure.

2. smooth. This board is silky even though it is a wake style board. It's ironic that I actually get an incredible amount of pop with this board (actually more so than my other boards which I can't explain - is it because it is new? lol). It's a good thing though that the landings are so smooth. It makes sticking landings from height and speed EASY.

3. styling is next level.

I think they nailed it with this board. This should be their primary in their lineup. It does everything better than any other wake style board I have tried (my wife says i'm a hoarder, but I think I have finally found my ideal board). Tona has been trying hard to produce that perfect shape that is fun to ride, durable, and does not make any compromises with die-hard wake stylers. This is it. Absolutely nailed it with the Flow and super excited for my next session on it!

Could you give a breakdown of sizing? They're long boards, I guess because of the rocker.

I'm 185 lbs. (84 kg.) I'm not looking for a lightwind board, but also don't need a board that I can only ride at the top end of my kites.
what size would be good for me with straps?
what about with boots?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

CaptainArgh wrote:
Could you give a breakdown of sizing? They're long boards, I guess because of the rocker.

I'm 185 lbs. (84 kg.) I'm not looking for a lightwind board, but also don't need a board that I can only ride at the top end of my kites.
what size would be good for me with straps?
what about with boots?

Thanks!

I am 185lbs and rode a 12m RPM and 12m Dice in the windgraph pictured with the 140 Flow (from noon~6pm). I was mostly overpowered during this time. I ride it with Hyperlite systems (Process Boot model). I should also mention that we have a considerable current that aids us upwind (hood river).

I agree with you that it's frustrating to get a 140 sized board that you want for powered riding and find that it is more like a light-wind board. I think that a reason for this are differences in rocker and the width. I could be using the wrong terminology but this board has more tip to tail taper than say the slingshot vision, which I find to be a pretty large board even though it is in this size range.

As a blanket statement I would say that the 140 Flow compares to your standard 138cm boards that other manufacturers are putting out for freestyle riding.

The 140 Flow is a safe bet for booted and strapped riding for you at your weight. This is assuming you aren't frequently finding yourself riding overpowered, in which case the 136 would be more ideal.

Again I have to add the disclaimer that it's very difficult to comment on/recommend sizes since the upwind current in the columbia river is so significant. It's been a long time since i've felt what it was like having to struggle to make upwind ground.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 7.14.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 7.14.44 AM.png [ 68.38 KIB | Viewed 1107 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

consumer wrote:
The 140 Flow is a safe bet for booted and strapped riding for you at your weight. This is assuming you aren't frequently finding yourself riding overpowered, in which case the 136 would be more ideal.

Again I have to add the disclaimer that it's very difficult to comment on/recommend sizes since the upwind current in the columbia river is so significant. It's been a long time since i've felt what it was like having to struggle to make upwind ground.

Thanks. That helps. Yeah, I guess getting the "middle" board is a safe bet.

Also good to know your location and current. Looking at the wind graph alone didn't help as I wasn't clear if you spent more time riding in the low teen lulls or the high 20 gusts! (sounds like it felt more like 20s, with the addition of current assist)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 am 
Rare Poster

CaptainArgh wrote:
consumer wrote:

Thanks. That helps. Yeah, I guess getting the "middle" board is a safe bet.

Also good to know your location and current. Looking at the wind graph alone didn't help as I wasn't clear if you spent more time riding in the low teen lulls or the high 20 gusts! (sounds like it felt more like 20s, with the addition of current assist)

The 140 should be fine for you with both boots/straps. The 144 would be waaay too big. That sucker is meant for 200 lb riders. The big boys.

Where are you based CaptainArgh?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm 
Medium Poster

Can't believe people are putting straps on the tona flow :lol: . That board won't really come alive until you put some boots on it. I'm taking it to the cable tomorrow so I'll give some thoughts on it then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 pm 
Medium Poster

http://kitescoop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11124 here's my review of the board at the cable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:05 am 
Medium Poster

Our little review of the Flow. (Spanish 8) )

http://www.windrats.com/tona-flow-review-a-fondo/

We love the board, eventhough it's a couple of knots slower than the pop.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2