All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Replacing my RRD addiction 18 with Ozone chrono 15?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi,

I'm wondering if i would get more low end out of this chrono 15 compared to my rrd 18? My taaroa foil generates so much apparent wind but the weight of my rrd addiction 18 is holding me back. Once it hits 6-7 knots, the kite has difficulties staying up in the air, would i benefit from i chrono 15?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Replacing my RRD addiction 18 with Ozone chrono 15???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:57 pm 
Rare Poster

Yes, you achieve more power and also a faster turning kite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

spacemonkey wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if i would get more low end out of this chrono 15 compared to my rrd 18? My taaroa foil generates so much apparent wind but the weight of my rrd addiction 18 is holding me back. Once it hits 6-7 knots, the kite has difficulties staying up in the air, would i benefit from i chrono 15?

without a shadow of a doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think so.

It seems that a tad smaller kites works "better" for general riding in marginal conditions, and even some racers use these to an advantage too sometimes.

They are easier to keep in the air, generate the very same or even more power when looped, so you can get "up", which is the main issue in light wind, and are soooo much better to handle in terms of jibing and turning and doing tricks, and can be flown in sinus in extreme (low end) conditions.

Racers might use the biggest possible kite in light conditions, to get more upwind power, but that is a totally different issue than "general" riding IMO - and as said, it seems that most racers still use a number smaller (max) kite even in marginal conditions (compared to old raceboards).

The Chrono should have at least the same power as your 18m2, and perform and "hang" much better I think :thumb:

8) PF

Post subject: Re: Replacing my RRD addiction 18 with Ozone chrono 15?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Oh I have the answer for you.

I was just competing at the Long beach event and borrowed a 15m Chrono. I went out 15 minutes before the race was supposed to start in onshore winds and was running the course. Went to the start boat wondering why we are not in staring sequence and the answer was sorry not enough wind to race yet the SI's read we need a bottom limit of 6knots and we have not see 6knots for the day yet. 30 to 45 minutes later finally got a 6.0 knot reading and started the race. some tubes made it off the beach but most didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Great info! Looks like this chrono is a winner and a match made in heaven for foils.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 am 
Frequent Poster

stefaans wrote:
Oh I have the answer for you.

I was just competing at the Long beach event and borrowed a 15m Chrono. I went out 15 minutes before the race was supposed to start in onshore winds and was running the course. Went to the start boat wondering why we are not in staring sequence and the answer was sorry not enough wind to race yet the SI's read we need a bottom limit of 6knots and we have not see 6knots for the day yet. 30 to 45 minutes later finally got a 6.0 knot reading and started the race. some tubes made it off the beach but most didn't.

What is your weight stefaans?

Was there any 18 chrono there?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

190lbs. Yes there were 18s but I could only get my hands on a 15.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

The 15m Chrono is the size I haven't ridden. But I've had the 12m Chrono out a bit and found myself wondering if I'd ever use the 18m Chrono again. The 15m seems like a good compromise in absolute low end vs. turning speed. The 18m Chrono made me do stupid stuff like try riding in super light wind. It all worked great until I blew a tack and dumped the kite. The wind was so light I swam past the kite on my drift in, just dog paddling too.

- Stafford

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

First foil kite?

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next