All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: kite pump design concept v_02
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:41 am 
Rare Poster

Hi every one,

So i never stop thinking about the pump design because i love the idea of design new things and because i think the pump really need a new design... they not comfortable they big(also for flying) and its can be much more compact.

so, i design a new version after the first one i upload here few month ago... i try to read all the great comments here and i also talk with some engineers that can improve its possible... i also saw bike pump with squarer body that fit the frame very nice and cool.

as for the kite that shape can be much more easy to store and to pack on the kite bag, and i believe it can be more efficiency too.

I improve the pump by the dimension of the main body, the foot strap and the handle.
I also change the dimension of the hose to smaller one and more flex.

that it for now ill love to hear what you thinking,
cheers,
Kob

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: kite pump design concept v_02
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 am 
Medium Poster

Where does the usb charger plug in ? Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

still, is it a one hand handle or two hand handle? what is the width of the handle?

second, if the hose will be fastened to the body of the pump and not to the handle then you must have additional tube inside the pump with additional gaskets and additional points of friction. more friction more fatigue!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:00 pm 
Frequent Poster

Just a pretty picture :D No special features/improvements. Actually from an engineering standpoint a step back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Must say, from an engineering viewpoint, that a round body seems better.
And the size is only an issue when traveling, otherwise not.

I like the idea of thinking new thoughts, but can not see the advantages here.

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I really like how it looks. but my Original point remains. Why buy this one and not the standard pump that is very cheap.
Does it inflate the kite faster somehow? How much air does it pump out compeared to a normal pump?

Shapewise i like it a lot (looks and practical) but there has to be more to it to put money in mold and fabrication costs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Rectangle... 10 x 5 x 20 (high) Is 1000cm cubed

Cylinder.... Radius same as width (5cm)... 3.14 x 25 x 20 (high) is 1570cm cubed.

Enough said and Looking at that design the actual capacity seems even smaller given the thicker housing and smaller square piston.

Not too many engines with square pistons...for the above reason and it's almost impossible to seal at the 90 degree edges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Also on normal pumps the nozzle comes from the handle the air is pushed down forcing it through the shaft to the nozzle.
this one is on the body itself way up. does this mean you pulling the air instead of pushing down with your weight as a helping force?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

oooook....... thats the iPump???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you can build it, it looks pretty cool. Somebody joked about the USB charger, but... that'd be a good idea for a travel device with flat sides...make one side a solar panel and you could charge our phone while setting up kite or waiting for wind. That's an issue with travel...you're always away from an outlet but you need your electronics charged. YOU will also need some premium features for someone to buy this over another pump.

Make sure it is rated for enough pressure that you could sell it to the inflatable SUP market as well. They also have travel issues and then you don't limit yourself to one group. But those things go a little higher pressure and you need a gauge.

It's good that you are thinking of new ideas, incorporating feedback, and bringing it back for discussion. When you think it'll work...go build one. Kickstarter it if needed. This group will tell you it sucks until they have one in their hand...and then they'll still tell you it sucks. :lol: Prove 'em wrong! :thumb:

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next