All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: OBX Ferrys from South
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 am 
Rare Poster

Hey

Does anyone know coming from the South heading to OBX what the travel time difference is between going up I95 then going east on 64 to OBX versus taking the Cedar Island-Okracoke and Okracoke -Hatteras Ferrys is?

Never taken the Ferrys before.

Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: OBX Ferrys from South
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ha ha. Funny story. I was in Avon and heading to Coco Beach several years ago. I checked google and it gave me two options, the ones you listed. The times were similar, so I figured the ferry route would be better, I could snooze for a couple of hours.

Well, (at the time) Google did not factor the ferry travel times into the route total! It took me something like 17 hours, instead of the 12 hours going around would have taken.

Drive around.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have not done that, but, take the ferries if you are more into the experience and you have something to do in your downtime. Maybe you have a laptop and would appreciate the opporutnity to do a little work or want to take a power nap or read. ?

In an ideal situation you may be quicker...but, you have to time the ferry schedule and if you arrive at a busy time you may miss one ferry and have to wait for the next.

The right mindset would be that your vacation starts once you are in line for the first ferry! Don't rush from that point on and you'll be fine. Stop for a meal while you are on Ocracoke. If you are watching the clock...well, you, might get stressed out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm 
Medium Poster

I looked into it once. Highly recommended you have reservations, or you have to wait until a spot is available. I've never done it, but I'd guess that during the summer, lots of people reserve their place.

From the brochure at: http://www.ncdot.gov/download/transit/f ... hedule.pdf

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 16 17.25.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 16 17.25.jpg [ 23.32 KIB | Viewed 491 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:30 am 
Rare Poster

I've done it, and The Captain is correct. About 4-5 hours longer on the ferry (at minimum). You not only have the wait time at the ferry docks to consider, but also slow going over small roads on either side of the ferry (i.e., on both the mainland and Hatteras/Ocracoke Islands). It's an adventure, but you shouldn't be concerned about the extra time if you ride the ferry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:32 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
In an ideal situation you may be quicker...but, you have to time the ferry schedule and if you arrive at a busy time you may miss one ferry and have to wait for the nex

Not even in the perfect world is it even close. It used to be closer when 64 was a little 2 lane and the Ocracoke ferry could use the shorter route, but now 64 is 70mph (after Isabell) for a good stretch and the ferry is 30 minutes slower because of the channel filling in.

For example take Beaufort NC which is the closest city to the Cedar Island Ferry and you want to go to Buxton. You can go around in about 4:45.

By Ferry
Beaufort to Cedar Island Ferry Terminal : 50 minutes (But NCDOT is warning that construction on 70 is making this slower and give an extra 30 minutes)
Have to be there 30 minutes prior: 30 Minutes with reservation (do not think of doing it without)
Ferry Travel time to Ocracoke: 135 minutes
Travel time across Ocracoke: 25 minutes
Arrive and load ocracoke ferry: 45 minutes if lucky
Ferry Travel to Hatteras: 55 minutes
Hatteras to Buxton: 30 minutes

370 minutes or 6:10 minutes, which is optimistic.

If you catch the evening ferry out of Cedar Island and have a picnic on the ferry and drink a couple of beers it can be nice and relaxing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Although I would love and enjoy the scenic adventure I think I am more excited to get to OBX and enjoy the scenery from the kiting perspective. A few hours would be a good option but 4-5 hours is a big chunk on a long trip.

Thank you all again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:16 pm 
Medium Poster

Check out Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle on the way. If the wind is SW then you will be HAPPY! Take the Ferry over from Cedar Island at night. Have some beers on the Ferry ride over. Go eat at Howard's Pub and stay in Okracoke. Take the Hatteras Ferry in the morning.

[ 8 posts ]